The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-28-2005, 02:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

ok, I was born in 74, but...
I had these red bell bottoms that matched my rollerskate wheels that i loved...I thought i looked soooo sexy in those pants.
My mom's friends' older kids loved the dukes of hazzard and Kiss.
I remember my mom ranting and raving when Reagan got elected. (oops, 1980?)
I remember hearing GYOW on the car radio, and not liking it very much at the time...
apparently I sang GDW regularly when i was 3.
I remember the Olympics, Nadia, and after that I totally wanted to be a gymnast, for years. yes, I was 2-3, but i would practice my rolls, headstands, and carwheels constantly.
A joke I remember is: What's green and skates? Peggy Flem!
I loved the song "Sound of Silence", one of my first faves.
Also I remember the song "Jolene" by Dolly Parton, that's a good song.
Other favorite songs: Ghost Rider In the Sky - by Johnny Cash,
Barracuda and Magic Man I liked, remember hearing those a lot - my mom drew a picture of a stingray she kept over her bed, and I remember thinking it was a barracuda
I knew a lot of songs, because my mom would be like: "you have to brush your teeth for two songs."(we didn't have a T.V.) and also because we played this game where my mom would play a song on her violin, and i would have to guess which song...
Oh, and I started kindergarten, and sang Christmas songs every day on the way home in the front seat of the bus... yep, just sat there by myself and sang...to the busdriver, apparently
Yes, "Only Children" may have these sorts of tendencies..

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -

Last edited by amber; 01-28-2005 at 03:28 AM..
Old 01-28-2005, 10:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I remember a pendant that looked like an apple core. That was in the early 70s.
Aaaaack! I had one of those too! They made ones that looked like bagels and Oreo cookies as well. What was up with that trend?

I had a pet rock. And I still have my mood ring.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Also I remember the song "Jolene" by Dolly Parton, that's a good song.
I remember that song really well, despite being born in 75. I think it was on that Country Hits 8-track my mom used to play in the '79 Lincoln Mark V!

I remember we had a blue Ford conversion van, and a red Mercury Cougar. I had roller skates that were metal & you strapped them on over your shoes.

I remember LOTS of plaid pants, especially in green/orange/brown hues. And our beige rug and orange & green couch.

I also vividly remember my parents fighting a lot (that never stopped, I can't believe they stayed married.) Anyway, I remember asking "Where's daddy?" My mom would tell me "He's at the office." OK, so my dad painted & sandblasted for a living (big stuff - he painted the Peace Bridge, which connect Buffalo to Canada.) But I never payed any attention to why he'd be working at an office too. So one day we're driving along in the red Cougar & my mom says "yup, there's the office - It was a BAR named "The Office"

We still laugh about it - I pictured this high-rise building made of glass & it's a one story dive bar & wing joint.

I remember Star Wars & The Empire Striked Back too, and obviously Jedi, which came later. And I LOVED Wonder Woman & the Dukes of Hazzard.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia
Aaaaack! I had one of those too! They made ones that looked like bagels and Oreo cookies as well. What was up with that trend?

I had a pet rock. And I still have my mood ring.

Hmm, I never had any bagels or Oreos. What's up with that? The apple pendant said "I Like You" on it. Oh and butterflys were also popular jewelry.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Other favorite songs: Ghost Rider In the Sky - by Johnny Cash,
I guess I am quite the 80s child because I only remember Debbie's cover of that song.

Old 01-28-2005, 07:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
I guess I am quite the 80s child because I only remember Debbie's cover of that song.
I think that sooo many people have covered it that I really don't know who did it in the first place. Was it Johnny Cash? I think they play that version as bumper music for Coast to Coast AM.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia
I remember when cable TV first came out - and there still wasn't a remote control for it - just a box on top of your TV that was about 16" long, with a sliding thingie on top, that would click into place for each channel.
I was born in '77, but even I remember the channel changer for the cable. I used to make it slide up and down really fast.... Wow, what a blast from the past.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: under beautiful desert skies of the Tri-cities in WA.

I actually liked polyester dresses and fishnet stockings. haha Those dresses never needed ironing
Roller skating on the weekends.
Berets with brims, mood rings, choker ribbon and velvet necklaces, bell bottoms and gauzy peasant tops.
platform boots and shoes
Cher, Rita Coolidge, Carly Simon, Linda Ronstadt, Heart, Stevie and Christine was some of the women who made great music at a time when music was mainly dominated by men.
You had to walk to the television to change channels
Lunch at school was actually decent and healthy back then
No home computers so we actually had to go out in public to meet people
SNL was actually a great show back then and had great talented people on it.
Midnight Special, Johnny Carson, Soul Train, Mike Douglas, Merv Griffin was on tv; David Letterman was still in Indy and I remember him as the local weatherman in Indianapolis
Bee Gees were hot. We still had Andy Gibb and Jim Croce around back then
Being 21 yrs old and enjoying the disco era and being able to go to 2001 and luckily, not seeing guys that had that awful Tony Manero outfit or haircut
Old 01-29-2005, 10:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Remember?

I was born in 1958-So I am like, one of the oldest here- but I have lots of seventies-eighties memories and reminders-Good and bad

Waiting in line to buy gas for your car(plate had to have an even or odd last number, depending on the day of the week that you were allowed to buy it) plus we used to put in $2.00 for a night of "driving around"
No one had a "foreign, small car" all American gas guzzlers were the cars of the day.-
Big technology was playing "pong" at somebodies house on a Friday night, massive remote that you used to play your side on the screen..then cam -"space invaders" wasted alot of money in those machines-
Telephones were rented from the Telephone Co. didn't have push buttons and were attached to the wall-
-Watching the DRAFT on TV and hoping that my Brother's birthday wasn't on top of the list for Vietnam Service- (it wasnt)
Fashion was CRAZY- Crochet vests, "Earth Shoes" lots of silver and rawhide- bandana's (ala Rhoda on the MT Moore show) big jewelry and earings-hair straight and long and parted in the middle-Bonnie Bell lip gloss-Landlubber jeans-embroidering jeans! making macrema (sp) plant hangers, knots knots knots-
Best part of the history for me? Being a girl/woman in 1976. Graduated from high school-Law changed the drinking age to 18, Voting age to 18 and best of all you were consided an adult at 18! (Which by the way, I still think it is the best idea...who came up with 21 anyway?) 76 was also the 200 anniversary of America so it was a very patriotic time, Vietnam was over..barely. Not the same vibe in students as the late 60's early seventies anger...Looking forward to the future but #1 issue was having enough "spinach", fuel for the car and enough cassettes to listen to tunes at very loud volumes while driving around and singing in my 1975 Mustang that had a way cool Pioneer sound system in it!!
Those, were the days ,my friends (to quote someone else) alot more innocent and isolated than we are today...but hey if we didn't have this technology today I wouldn't be reminising like this at all.
EVERYDAY YOU ARE BREATHING-----IS A GOOD DAY

Just a few thoughts from ~~eclipse~~

For never have I been a blue calm sea...I have always been a storm, always been a storm... sln
~~eclipse~~