User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-25-2005, 09:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze
I must see this. My hair stylist has a photo of her daughter with Liam in her salon, I'll have to ask her about it next time I'm there.

I really enjoyed DiCaprio in Gangs. He actually looked like a man and he was not cloying. But I'm a sap and I even liked him in Titanic. I haven't seen The Aviator though either. Why the hell am I commenting then?
I LOVED Titanic. I thought it was well done. I know it was a tired ole class warfare love story, but the romantic setting just knocked me over. I did not really care about him too much in that because Kate W. outshone him and IMO Kathy Bates' portrayal of Milly Brown stole the show

I LOVED Gangs - but the storyline to me bordered on far fetched - or at least to confusing, esp. the end riots. I get that MS was going for the end of an era (represented by Bill - which was the best portrayal in Day Lewis' BRILIIANT career including Age of Innocence which was a close second) - and the beginning of a new one rep. by Leo. D.'s character - but it did not play that well with me, though bad Scorsese is like pizza - even when it is bad, it is still pretty good
Old 01-25-2005, 09:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=strandinthewind]I LOVED Titanic. I thought it was well done. I know it was a tired ole class warfare love story, but the romantic setting just knocked me over. I did not really care about him too much in that because Kate W. outshone him and IMO Kathy Bates' portrayal of Milly Brown stole the show

I LOVED Gangs - but the storyline to me bordered on far fetched - or at least to confusing, esp. the end riots. I get that MS was going for the end of an era (represented by Bill - which was the best portrayal in Day Lewis' BRILIIANT career including Age of Innocence which was a close second) - and the beginning of a new one rep. by Leo. D.'s character - but it did not play that well with me, though bad Scorsese is like pizza - even when it is bad, it is still pretty good [/QUOTE

Wow strand, I am pleased that you would admit you LOVED Titanic because I did too and am just chicken to admit it I guess, hehe. This movie had me spellbound before it even came out and I just HAD to see it opening night which is completely not my style. I usually wait for the fuss to die down a bit. I was entranced.

There definitely was something missing in Gangs' story, the first hour was awesome and trailed off from there. I've got to see it again to comment further because I don't remember the nuances of the film. I thought DiCaprio was hunky though :swoon:
Old 01-25-2005, 09:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

I thought Titanic was ok. I wish Cathy Bates was in every scene, though. Winslet's performance was a little too affected and precious for me...overall it was a pretty ok movie, though. BTW, you guys are not alone in loving it, judging by the box office...

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 01-25-2005, 09:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I thought Titanic was ok. I wish Cathy Bates was in every scene, though. Winslet's performance was a little too affected and precious for me...overall it was a pretty ok movie, though. BTW, you guys are not alone in loving it, judging by the box office...
Bates was awesome, "What's wrong with you people!"

You know, there was a thing in Kate's voice that aggravated me, the affectation you may also be thinking of. It is especially pronounced in the scene where she discovers his sketches. But I was just caught up in it all, I actually identified with her character pretty strongly because at the time I was about to marry someone I was not in love with. But I didn't do it.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I haven't seen Ray, but why is everyone peeing themselves over Jamie Foxx? I mean, I like him OK, but what was so great about his performance? Is it because he impersonated/recreated Ray Charles so well? Or because it's his first "real" acting gig (as opposed to just being a goofball on In Living Color and crap like Booty Call)?

I'm not sure how I feel about a BAOscar going to someone just because he can act exactly like someone else, especially when Ray Charles advised Jamie while filming the movie.

But, on the other hand, I still always secretly wished Faye Dunaway woulda snagged a statue for Mommy Dearest! I mean, just for having the nerve...
Old 01-25-2005, 10:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixxxed
But, on the other hand, I still always secretly wished Faye Dunaway woulda snagged a statue for Mommy Dearest! I mean, just for having the nerve...

I second that!!!!

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 01-26-2005, 04:36 PM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:38 PM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixxxed
I haven't seen Ray, but why is everyone peeing themselves over Jamie Foxx? I mean, I like him OK, but what was so great about his performance? Is it because he impersonated/recreated Ray Charles so well? Or because it's his first "real" acting gig (as opposed to just being a goofball on In Living Color and crap like Booty Call)?

I'm not sure how I feel about a BAOscar going to someone just because he can act exactly like someone else, especially when Ray Charles advised Jamie while filming the movie.

Plus, she was FABULOUS in the part - I mean she looked and had the same mannerisms as Joan C. But, she did not dirty herself up or play a deaf mute or retarded person - thus she lose IMO. I mean those are the roles that seemingly get it - to wit: SH in Rainman, CT in Monster, SF in Norma Rae, JR in Erin B. (she was so out of glamour for that), etc.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
Plus, she was FABULOUS in the part - I mean she looked and had the same mannerisms as Joan C. But, she did not dirty herself up or play a deaf mute or retarded person - thus she lose IMO. I mean those are the roles that seemingly get it - to wit: SH in Rainman, CT in Monster, SF in Norma Rae, JR in Erin B. (she was so out of glamour for that), etc.
I like Faye Dunaway (most of the time), but that movie was a badly made character assassination, and her performance seemed a parody, IMO.

Romy

Non vogliate negar l'esperienza
di retro al sol, del mondo sanza gente
Considerate la vostra semenza
fatti non foste a viver come bruti
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI
Old 01-27-2005, 06:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serrart
I like Faye Dunaway (most of the time), but that movie was a badly made character assassination, and her performance seemed a parody, IMO.

Romy
I agree, but it was such a bold, magnificent, scene chewing parody.
I love Miss Dunaway as well, though i think half of it may just be my love of looking at her face. I'm awed at her gorgeousness...

Old 01-27-2005, 06:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I love Miss Dunaway as well, though i think half of it may just be my love of looking at her face. I'm awed at her gorgeousness...
She has that kind of appeal of some '40/'50 movie stars, and in movies like Chinatown or Network she's really amazing.

Romy

ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI
Old 01-27-2005, 06:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Me too. Faye Dunaway is gorge.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer
Me too. Faye Dunaway is gorge.
totally. I swear i'd give up something reeeaaallly valuable for those cheekbones!

Old 01-27-2005, 07:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serrart
She has that kind of appeal of some '40/'50 movie stars, and in movies like Chinatown or Network she's really amazing.

Romy
Network! Fave.Movie.Ever.

Old 01-27-2005, 07:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Supermagnificent.

Old 01-27-2005, 07:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
One of my all time favourites too... the cast is amazing, Peter Finch is superb and William Holden gave his greatest performance in it, IMO.

Romy