The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-17-2005, 10:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Velvet Revolver gig. Manchester, UK.

For those of you wanting to read my thoughts on last nights VR gig, which were included as a post on a different thread, here it is on it's own thread..

We arrived at the gig for about 5:30pm.. The doors opened at 6pm...

The first thing I noticed was that I felt very old. I'm 30, which is not considered exactly written off and assigned to the archives age, but of the 80% or so of the crowd (which I estimate, given the venues size at about 15,000) were between the ages of 10 and 17.

It's great for the band that they have a lot of younger fans but this was ridiculous, you had guys taking their daughters of 8 or 9 to see these guys. Maybe they were naive but VR ain't exactly a teeny bop group you know? Their website has an 18 rating for a start..

Anyway, the doors opened and in we went. We were standing and made our way to the front of the stage in front of Slash's microphone. I guess there must have been maybe three or four rows of people in front of us, mostly kids.. I found it quite amusing that here we were, two older fans from the GNR era, surrounded by pubescant teenage boys all trying to cultivate some form of facial hair... haha, it was really strange and funny but later all this teen angst around us would manifest itself in a more dangerous way.

So we were in place at 6pm.. The warm up act, I think somebody said they were "the Datsuns" came on quite late, about 7:40pm or so, so the crowd had been waiting 40 minutes over the start time already... The band were pretty good although they seemed to expend more energy in spastic movements onstage than in their playing... These guys finished their set at around 8:20pm.

Then we waited, and waited.... And waited... And waited... Some asshole was shouting "Slash!!" so loudly next to us it actually hurt our ears more than the show itself! But we waited... The background music was repeated over and over and the crowd were getting restless. All these impatient kids down the front were getting pissed off and started booing. You could feel the situation and it was getting quite tightly packed at the front..

Eventually the band came onstage at 9:45pm, 85 minutes after the warm up act finished.. They played "Sucker Train Blues" and all the impatience of the young crowd was released in a dangerous way. I've been in mosh pits before, I know what they are like but this was very different. The surge of these kids, some of them obviously on various substances started literally going mad.. The whole area became so tightly packed it was difficult to breath, the huge swell of the crowd was pusing left then right as one and we looked at each other and decided it was just too dangerous. If one of those kids fell they would have been trampled to death without question. Both of us are physically very strong and we had to work very hard to push our way out of the situation. But we did.. It was a miracle nobody was seriously hurt. All these young fans being made to wait so long was the deciding factor in the situation, no question. Security were not good enough and lacking in numbers for such a huge crowd.

Anyway, we moved to a safer position towards the right of the stage and apart from some guy in front that stunk of **** we enjoyed the gig tremendously. The crowd at the front seemed to calm down after about 3 numbers and it was much better.

Scott Weiland seemed off his head. If he's off heroin then he's an extremely good actor in my opinion.. Slash was just Slash.. Brilliant as ever and delighted to be playing so close to his birthtown.. "Hi to all my distant cousins" he yelled at one point.

They played the majority of the Contraband album plus "It's So Easy", "I Used To Love Her" and an awesome "Mr.Brownstone" from the GNR days. All in all a good performance.

If the fan base around the world is like the one at this gig VR could become a very big band indeed.. It's a Big Machine...

I took a few pictures at the gig but due to the rather stressed conditions involved in taking them most were pretty bad... Here is one of Slash that came out OK though.... And one of Scott & Dave too...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scott.jpg (82.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg slash.jpg (69.6 KB, 27 views)
Old 01-17-2005, 10:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Glad to hear it was a good show. It's weird that there were 10 year olds there and also that the show was general admission, from what you're describing.
With a band such a VR, there is no way that they should be going on 85 minutes after the opening act. That is insane. Were they selling alcohol the whole time?
Weiland looks skeletal in the photo. I hope he's not on drugs again.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn
Glad to hear it was a good show. It's weird that there were 10 year olds there and also that the show was general admission, from what you're describing.
With a band such a VR, there is no way that they should be going on 85 minutes after the opening act. That is insane. Were they selling alcohol the whole time?
Weiland looks skeletal in the photo. I hope he's not on drugs again.
It was very weird that kids were there. the arena has about 10,000 seats and the entire floor was standing. A lot of these kids couldn't see a damn thing at the back I suspect...

Yes they were selling alcohol. It's one thing selling alcohol at an all seated venue but quite another when there are so many standing. With the crowd all swaying so much at the front with plastic bottles and plastic glasses on the ground it made for a dangerous situation.

Weiland did look skeletal compared to the US shows from last year, he's very thin and pale and he looked pretty worrying, especially his eyes..
Old 01-17-2005, 11:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The show is only slowly beginning to sink in ...it'll take a while. But it was absolutely brilliant - as far as the band are concerned.

However....I've been to many, many, many, concerts. I've been to places all over the world, and been in some seriously unpleasant situations in locations that anybody who'd say didn't find "f**king scary" would be lying. However, last night was the closest I've ever come to thinking "There is a serious chance I could get killed right now".

Literally 2 seconds after the band comes out, 100s of people in the crowd start taking various "substances". Mix that with the fact that they had been waiting there drunk/high impatiently for about 3 hours. I felt like a pack of elephants just charged at my back and I see Madformac and everyone in front of me go down and forward like a f**king tsunami just hit us. Motherf**kers.

It didn't matter whether you were a 10 year old girl (and I DID see people as young as that in the queues, if not up front in the pit) or Mr. Universe - EVERYBODY's lives were in danger at that point, because if you had got your leg caught in amongst the 1000s of people who rushed into eachother at that point, you would have gone straight to the floor and been trampled on and killed immediately. PLUS, all the house lights were off, there was continuous strobe lighting and everyone was so off their heads that even if something HAD happened NOBODY would have realised for many many songs.

Damn good call on both our parts to leave that front section after 2 songs. I cannot believe that M.E.N. Arena would allow something like that to happen...if someone had had a heart attack or got stabbed or trampled or anything, there was absolutely NOTHING anyone could have done about it. And what the f*** was up with locking the gates on ALL sides of the pit section?? That guy who looked like he was gonna die towards the end, the 16 year old kid, he would have been ok if they hadn't locked us in like animals, but he couldn't get out so his body just gave in and he collapsed. That stupid f**kwit of a woman started asking him from the OTHER SIDE of the barrier "Do u need water?"....NO YOU IDIOT....he needs to GET OUT...open the f**king gate!!!

Even in all the VIDEOS I've seen of the most crazy underground gigs, I have never seen a crowd go so dangerously mental as that. It is an absolute MIRACLE that nobody died last night.

ANYWAY, after the initial insanity, fantastic night....EVEN the beginning WAS awesome, seeing Slash right there, with top hat and the hair down on his face right in front of us, i will never ever forget that moment.

Highlights of the show for me:

1) The first 2 seconds, seeing Slash 2 or 3 feet in front of me, guitar in hand.

2) Seeing Slash 10 feet away from me, for the entire show. One of my four guitar heros and major influences.

3) When Slash came up to the microphone and said "You know it's f**kin' weird...before I'd look out and see a sea of lighters...now i see a sea of cellphone cameras!"

4) Mr. Brownstone. 'nuff said.

5) And the BEST moment of the entire evening: During "It's So Easy"....Scott Weiland stands on top of the centre monitor for the part "I see you standing there....You think you're so cool.....Why don't you just...." and then 15,000 people shout the words with him as he raises his middle finger towards the sky........"F**K OFF!!!!!!!!!" as Slash breaks into one of the greatest solos ever. Will never, EVER, forget that moment.....AWESOME.

Last edited by seteca; 01-17-2005 at 11:09 AM..
Old 01-17-2005, 11:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seteca
The show is only slowly beginning to sink in ...it'll take a while. But it was absolutely brilliant - as far as the band are concerned.

However....I've been to many, many, many, concerts. I've been to places all over the world, and been in some seriously unpleasant situations in locations that anybody who'd say didn't find "f**king scary" would be lying. However, last night was the closest I've ever come to thinking "There is a serious chance I could get killed right now".

Literally 2 seconds after the band comes out, 100s of people in the crowd start taking various "substances". Mix that with the fact that they had been waiting there drunk/high impatiently for about 3 hours. I felt like a pack of elephants just charged at my back and I see Madformac and everyone in front of me go down and forward like a f**king tsunami just hit us. Motherf**kers.

It didn't matter whether you were a 10 year old girl (and I DID see people as young as that in the queues, if not up front in the pit) or Mr. Universe - EVERYBODY's lives were in danger at that point, because if you had got your leg caught in amongst the 1000s of people who rushed into eachother at that point, you would have gone straight to the floor and been trampled on and killed immediately. PLUS, all the house lights were off, there was continuous strobe lighting and everyone was so off their heads that even if something HAD happened NOBODY would have realised for many many songs.

Damn good call on both our parts to leave that front section after 2 songs. I cannot believe that M.E.N. Arena would allow something like that to happen...if someone had had a heart attack or got stabbed or trampled or anything, there was absolutely NOTHING anyone could have done about it. And what the f*** was up with locking the gates on ALL sides of the pit section?? That guy who looked like he was gonna die towards the end, the 16 year old kid, he would have been ok if they hadn't locked us in like animals, but he couldn't get out so his body just gave in and he collapsed. That stupid f**kwit of a woman started asking him from the OTHER SIDE of the barrier "Do u need water?"....NO YOU IDIOT....he needs to GET OUT...open the f**king gate!!!

Even in all the VIDEOS I've seen of the most crazy underground gigs, I have never seen a crowd go so dangerously mental as that. It is an absolute MIRACLE that nobody died last night.

ANYWAY, after the initial insanity, fantastic night....EVEN the beginning WAS awesome, seeing Slash right there, with top hat and the hair down on his face right in front of us, i will never ever forget that moment.

Highlights of the show for me:

1) The first 2 seconds, seeing Slash 2 or 3 feet in front of me, guitar in hand.

2) Seeing Slash 10 feet away from me, for the entire show. One of my four guitar heros and major influences.

3) When Slash came up to the microphone and said "You know it's f**kin' weird...before I'd look out and see a sea of lighters...now i see a sea of cellphone cameras!"

4) Mr. Brownstone. 'nuff said.

5) And the BEST moment of the entire evening: During "It's So Easy"....Scott Weiland stands on top of the centre monitor for the part "I see you standing there....You think you're so cool.....Why don't you just...." and then 15,000 people shout the words with him as he raises his middle finger towards the sky........"F**K OFF!!!!!!!!!" as Slash breaks into one of the greatest solos ever. Will never, EVER, forget that moment.....AWESOME.

They locked them in the pit? That's insane! They are so lucky no one got more seriously hurt!

I have to see this band!!!
Old 01-17-2005, 11:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Yeah, it was the worst situation I've been in at a gig.. The poor kid that collapsed, he needed immediately pulling clear and out but the security didn't seem to know what to do in such a situation.

I should have known what they would be like when we went through the doors. In front of me a woman security guard checked the pockets of the person in front of me.. "Do you have a camera on you?" she said.. I thought oh ****, there goes my camera... The guy said "No" and she replied "That's a shame if you are down at the front."

Quote:

Haha, we all raised the finger and shouted as one... Then I looked at you with the biggest grin I think I've ever seen!!!
Old 01-17-2005, 11:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation Lmao!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madformac
I should have known what they would be like when we went through the doors. In front of me a woman security guard checked the pockets of the person in front of me.. "Do you have a camera on you?" she said.. I thought oh ****, there goes my camera... The guy said "No" and she replied "That's a shame if you are down at the front."

Haha, we all raised the finger and shouted as one... Then I looked at you with the biggest grin I think I've ever seen!!!
LMAO at the biggest grin...I've seen one of those.

That's funny she said too bad, wish they would just shut the frick up about cameras at shows already....I mean, sounds to me like the question should have been "Do you have any illegal substances on you?"

Glad you two saw a terrific, kick a$$ show, but sorry about the craziness.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Sounds like a great gig. Hopefully it won't be the last. I loved GNR (still listen to Appetite all the time) and STP. Saw GNR once at a festival show, I really don't remember too much - we were very far away & also very drunk. Ahhh, the teen years...

Anyway, I've seen STP 3 times & I was disappointed every time. The first time was around 92 or 93, it rained at the new outdoor venue & people decided that throwing the freshly laid sod all over the place was a great idea The sound sucked too. Second time was 2000 or 2001 when they camne with the Chili Peppers - eh, they were OK. Peppers blew them away, though.

The third time was at the Family Values Tour w/ Staind & Linkin Park. Weiland was so f*cked up, I swore I'd never spend $ to see him again. He was all over the place, spitting at the crowd, flicked a lit cigarette at a fan. Then he was fine, they invited some kid on stage from the audience & sang the best version of Big Empty I've ever heard. Then he went back to being a mess, gave everyone the finger, took off his clothes & wrapped the American flag around his waist. His ignorance & disrespect for fans pissed me off so much.

Hopefully he is still off the drugs, but the excessive lateness of the show starting & his scary appearance worries me.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm glad you guys are safe and ended up having a good time. I've been to a few rough shows too and it definitely can get scary. I also loved the pictures. They turned out great.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Imo....

VR would be a great band with another vocalist (I tend to agree with most that Sebastian Bach would have been more perfect afit over Weiland, But he has too big an ego!), I just cannot stand Weiland's vocals whatsoever (Besides, Given some time and Weiland will destroy himself...Bets are already goin' on at several metal websites since it is very rumoured he is indeed back off the wagon!)

As for the pit at a VR show, That's very, very mild in comparison to a pit at a Slayer show (Pantera's show had the most ferocious pits there was) where it's every person for themself...Being locked into a pit is a bit strange though

Btw, VR will be having a live DVD released in the very near future for those interested...Hopefully the live show will translate better than the album does.

Glad y'all had a great time though.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."

Last edited by estranged4life; 01-17-2005 at 06:33 PM..
Old 01-17-2005, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin
Hopefully he is still off the drugs, but the excessive lateness of the show starting & his scary appearance worries me.
Yeah, that doesn't bode well. I saw STP at Red Rocks around '94 and the crowd was edgy and not in a good way. Some as*hole started throwing firecrackers into the audience and the show had to be stopped several times. The show was alright.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life
As for the pit at a VR show, That's very, very mild in comparison to a pit at a Slayer show
I've worked some of their shows, they were bad but not as bad as some of the Hip Hop shows where people threw things at me and tired to attack other people woriking the show.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life
As for the pit at a VR show, That's very, very mild in comparison to a pit at a Slayer show (Pantera's show had the most ferocious pits there was) where it's every person for themself...Being locked into a pit is a bit strange though
Yea, I mean, the reason why this was so insane was because with any other gig, even the ones with the craziest most psychotic crowd in the pit, people who are there generally know what the score is, and once the band has been touring for a while, you can estimate what to expect in that front section - some nights might be crazier than usual, some nights a little less so. With this particular show, it had absolutely nothing to do with the band or its "usual pit" - it was a series of security issues with the venue mixed with the fact that the band arrived about 2 hours late for a bunch of drunk/high impatient teenagers. The result was the chaos which happened as the band walked on stage and had absolutely nothing to do with the music. It simply looked like these riot scenes where the police have a couple of hundred people trapped into an area and everyone's fighting just to stay above shoulder level.

Causes: No minimum age for any part of the venue, people as young as 13/14 being sold limitless alcohol and most of them also taking drugs, totally incompetent security clearly with zero experience, a pit locked on all four sides until the end of the show (the only way out was to climb over the gate), band turning up 2 hours late.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Hmmm...

Quote:
it was a series of security issues with the venue mixed with the fact that the band arrived about 2 hours late for a bunch of drunk/high impatient teenagers. The result was the chaos which happened as the band walked on stage and had absolutely nothing to do with the music. It simply looked like these riot scenes where the police have a couple of hundred people trapped into an area and everyone's fighting just to stay above shoulder level.

Causes: No minimum age for any part of the venue, people as young as 13/14 being sold limitless alcohol and most of them also taking drugs, totally incompetent security clearly with zero experience, a pit locked on all four sides until the end of the show (the only way out was to climb over the gate), band turning up 2 hours late.
last band I remember who showed up for a gig two hours late kinda self-destructed. They always blamed their 'red-headed' singer for this even though there were always rumors that it was the other band members fault (The singer traveled separate from the other members due to their increasing drug use, Which made Fleetwood Mac of the late 70's/early 80's seem extremely tame in comparison)...

And just think, One of the band members of that now defunct band (Well the original version of that band is defunct) also wore a top-hat and played Gibson Les Paul's and was named Slash and another original member was a tall lanky blonde headed bassist named Duff...Hmmm coincident?

When VR played OKC this past summer there was the usual security precaution that unless your 21 you dont get alcohol...Hell, the most extreme thing I have ever seen to curtail the sales of alcohol at a concert was with Metallica on their tour US jaunt, Since James Hetfield is a recovering alcoholic that band had it written in their contract riders that "ALL Alcoholic sales must cease at 8:45 PM per artist request" (Which is when Godsmack's opening set ended).

Not surprisingly the most violent concerts in OKC have been hip-hop/rap shows...At the last major rap show in OKC 2 people were stabbed, Now OKC is considering not allowing rap/hip-hop shows at the Ford Center due to this violence (The Ford Center is rightfully/fully owned by the city of Oklahoma City...The city council dictate what type of entertainment is allowed, And thus far all types of concerts/entertainment have been allowed.)

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."

Last edited by estranged4life; 01-18-2005 at 11:38 AM..
Old 01-27-2005, 12:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm late on this thread - glad you guys survived the distance - mosh pits are scary to me anyway, sounds like this one was just a tad bit more out of control than usual....I love VR and think their new album is one of the best ones of last year - definitely.

They're heading to Japan and Australia and will be back through the US in the spring, in case anyone missed 'em the first time, or wants to see them again!

VR tour dates