Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Screenshot-2022-05-14-114820
Old 05-13-2022, 10:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
I love it! Straight to my archives with this one!
Old 05-14-2022, 04:14 PM

It says check the tail lights! One must be broken!
Old 05-16-2022, 06:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Okay, I laughed out loud. Great little collage.

Re: SYW—it IS a mess. But it’s an interesting mess, like coming upon a shipwreck and finding all kinds of treasure strewn everywhere on board. I’m glad it sprawls, that it feels bulky and uneven. It’s also occasionally dull. Both writers are to blame. But it has some incredibly interesting high points. Lindsey comes off better, for the most part. Red Rover and Say Goodbye are among my favorite songs of his, both finger-picking masterpieces. Miranda and Murrow are clever variations on the ISA and Big Love idioms, respectively. But Come is indulgent and WTWCT a turd presented as if it were a classic.

Stevie’s contributions are equally mixed. Silver Girl makes Welcome to the Room, Sara sound positively energizing. But illume intrigues me. Throw Down, Everybody Finds Out, and Destiny Rules are excellent. The title track makes for great shopping-at-Walmart accompaniment.

Their harmonies sound terribly nasal and harsh sans Christine.
Old 05-16-2022, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Okay, I laughed out loud. Great little collage.

Re: SYW—it IS a mess. But it’s an interesting mess, like coming upon a shipwreck and finding all kinds of treasure strewn everywhere on board. I’m glad it sprawls, that it feels bulky and uneven. It’s also occasionally dull. Both writers are to blame. But it has some incredibly interesting high points. Lindsey comes off better, for the most part. Red Rover and Say Goodbye are among my favorite songs of his, both finger-picking masterpieces. Miranda and Murrow are clever variations on the ISA and Big Love idioms, respectively. But Come is indulgent and WTWCT a turd presented as if it were a classic.

Stevie’s contributions are equally mixed. Silver Girl makes Welcome to the Room, Sara sound positively energizing. But illume intrigues me. Throw Down, Everybody Finds Out, and Destiny Rules are excellent. The title track makes for great shopping-at-Walmart accompaniment.

Their harmonies sound terribly nasal and harsh sans Christine.
Best review I've read. I do love the finger picking LB. It really helps cure the dull of this album. His guitar on Illume is haunting to me: nice timbre on the strums.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 05-16-2022 at 07:32 AM..
Old 05-16-2022, 08:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The album is way too long and the lack of Christine was always the biggest issue. I think it could have been a lot better if they cut at least 8 songs out.

As for the documentary, I can't even imagine having to be on the crew having to produce anything with this group of people. Lindsey and Stevie acting like they're still in high school all of the time. Mick rambling incessant word salads every single day. John just sitting there like a bump on a log. Ugh, trying to make that interesting and watchable could cause you to have an aneurysm.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
The album is way too long and the lack of Christine was always the biggest issue. I think it could have been a lot better if they cut at least 8 songs out.

As for the documentary, I can't even imagine having to be on the crew having to produce anything with this group of people. Lindsey and Stevie acting like they're still in high school all of the time. Mick rambling incessant word salads every single day. John just sitting there like a bump on a log. Ugh, trying to make that interesting and watchable could cause you to have an aneurysm.
Even since you brought up "word salads" a few months ago. I can't listen to him talk anymore. It's like nails on a chalkboard. He and Stevie are like robots when speaking. And Mick is like a mal-functioning robot.
I was kind of happy that Christine told the truth about them touring. Even though, she was slapped by Karen later on.
Old 05-16-2022, 10:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Even since you brought up "word salads" a few months ago. I can't listen to him talk anymore. It's like nails on a chalkboard. He and Stevie are like robots when speaking. And Mick is like a mal-functioning robot.
I was kind of happy that Christine told the truth about them touring. Even though, she was slapped by Karen later on.
I know this is a phenomenon that is applicable to most, but if you typed out what Mick says verbatim in these interviews and then tried to reread it....holy hell. He IS a malfunctioning word salad robot!!

Stevie says what she thinks her audience wants to hear. It's usually nonsensical BS that doesn't even really align with whatever point she's trying to make. It's why I could never stand her stage speeches. Lindsey's speeches were always philosophical nonsense but I actually could sit there going, this goofball stoner really believes in whatever the hell he just said. When she gets on stage and starts introducing Gypsy with buzzwords - "1968!" "VELVET UNDERGROUND!!" "SAN FRANCISSSSCOOOOOO!!!" - designed to generate applause from boomers and those in the audience who think they should have been alive to live in 1968 San Francisco....like, come on lady, this speech has gone on longer than the song will.
Old 05-16-2022, 10:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Poor dumb Christine. She finally found her backbone and then she immediately got bitch slapped back to reality by the Queen's Guard and had it taken once again - this time permanently.
Old 05-16-2022, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Poor dumb Christine. She finally found her backbone and then she immediately got bitch slapped back to reality by the Queen's Guard and had it taken once again - this time permanently.
My thoughts exactly. She's no longer a force in the gang. Just a robot with unplugged keys.
Old 05-16-2022, 05:07 PM
Senior Ledgie

Reading this thread makes me want to find my Say You Will DVD-A disc buried somewhere in a box in the basement since probably 2014.

I was not a big fan of the SYW music itself except for Steal Your Heart Away and maybe a couple of other songs, but the 5.1 mix was above average and I think I actually liked some of the songs better when I heard the 5.1 mix.
Old 05-17-2022, 01:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's $tevie Nick's Official Fajita Roundup for the past few years. There's no going back. They're older than dirt now, anyway. What a sad ending. At least Mick thinks they went out on top.

BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T.

RIP FM.
Old 05-18-2022, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I was reading the Sammy Hagar thread and realized that Mick has been making that “we’re not dead yet” joke for the last 20 years.
Old 05-18-2022, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Yep, so so so much material that would have made a great bonus outtakes extra disc or that they could put out as part of a re-release of it now. But alas..... getting the 5 to agree on much (really it's the 2) nowadays seems highly unlikely....

You do wonder if/when one of the 5 goes, and especially when either or both of the 2 ( S&L) go, whether then some of the unreleased stuff will come out....
I would think if Stevie passed away, Mick would start putting out her unreleased stuff to capitalize on her “legend” status. There would be a clamor for unreleased Stevie music for a few weeks. So, if FM owns the unreleased stuff, we’d hear it then.

If Lindsey passed away, there wouldn’t be that demand.
Old 05-18-2022, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post

As others have said, it is shocking how young they appear at 55 compared to 73.
The funny thing is, I remember comparing the change in their looks then to how they looked during The Dance and feeling that they were looking old, then.

Needless to say, my own perspective on what “old” is has changed a lot since 2003.

In fact, my mother is 85 now and many of the residents in her assisted living center are older than she is. There are 95 year olds going on nature hikes and I find myself being jealous and saying, “Why are they in such better health, when she’s younger!” As if I feel like she should still be kicking up her heels at 85. Biddy envy, I suppose.