User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-27-2002, 08:31 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by wetcamelfood
SORCERER386 & WILD HEART - I don't know if I am the "one person" being referred to as the one that "still thinks FM are money grubbers (etc.)" but in case it is me, I will state again what I stated in my last "lengthy" post. I DON'T KNOW if it is the band or the record company doing "those things" after reading Johnny Stew's posts, it's obviouis to me that Johnny knows much more about the record business then I do so it probably is the label and not the band BUT I (or, dare I say "we" as a group of fans?) REALLY JUST DON'T KNOW FOR SURE. So rather than point a "direct finger" and either party, I simply used the word "they" which will apply to the correct party whoever it may be once we DO find out for sure when we are 75 years old or whenever it is(!). I admit that I did use the phrase "pawns" but once again I was using the term "they" in that train of thought. I did not use any of the other terms quoted in each of your last posts so that's why I wasn't sure if it was me that was THE person or not. Sorry for all this if it wasn't me and sorry for the miscommunication if it was me. OK?

SODASCOUT - Once again, I don't know for sure, it hasn't happened with any bands that I personally have collected before but I have read some articles by various discographers in magazines like "Goldmine", "Discoveries", "Record collector" etc. that have made such claims about artists I didn't particularly care for at the time so I didn't really "investigate" it further but I'm sure I have heard of it happening in some way and I'll be the first to post about it here if I can remember/find a particular "case". I will say that this kind of 'repitition" thing to me DOES seem like something that a record company would be more likely to do than a band/artist as the band/artist in question would know that they would have to deal with the wrath of the fan's tongues about it (assuming that the band/artist in question do care about what it's fans think about them etc. which I'm sure many do) whereas a record company could probably care less what people on the street think about them so the record company would most likely have no bones about pulling a stunt like that. Also, I was trying to be as clear as I could about saying that I DON'T KNOW if this will happen with them or not, I simply pointed it out that it COULD happen and just how I would personally be dissaponted if this happened that I would have had to have bought the GH as I/we would have to at the time go by the assumption that the songs would not be released anywhere else (as I/we would not know (or it would be highly unlikely that we would know what) the tracklisting for the "new" album at the time of the release of the GH package would be) and it seems this would be dissapointing to you too (going by how you said you thought that would "suck" IF that happened). So I just personally hope it doesn't happen that way that's all I was saying everybody OK?

Also, there was someone earlier (sorry I can't remember who it was off the top of my head) that pointed out the possibility that "it may not be a GH but a B-sides compilation. I personally would LOVE that! However, going by what Ken C. had to say about how WB/Reprise (or I should say record companies in general) seems to feel about that kind of collection in his Penquin Q & A a while back, I don't think that would happen but once again I/we don't know for sure so I'll just end this off by saying what I'm sure we all agree on which is that it would be great if it did! So I guess we'll all just have to hope we are happy with it (whatever it is) when it does come out. Here's hoping!

John
wetcamelfood: (I would love to know the story behind your screen name sometime) my comments were not directed towards you. I think if you go back through my posts you'll figure it out.

It was me that speculated about a B-side/rarity compilation. I know it's a very slim chance but would that not be just the coolest thing to happened to us FM fans lately? It would be worth the wait!

I get tired of waiting on the Mac machine to kick in just like everyone else. On Crossroads recently it was said that Willie Nelson has released like over 100 albums in his career. You would think FM could release theirs a little quicker. They're not getting any younger.

I'm not exactly jumping up and down with enthusiasm for the GH thing either. I just keep thinking it will be different than what they've released previously in a GH format. I just have a feeling we don't know the whole story yet. Everyone knows how Mick is -who knows what he's really talking about! And you know what? If it is just a rehashing of the green GH with a couple of new songs, I'll still buy it for the new songs and be slap happy. I'll take anything they'll throw me.

When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!
Old 06-27-2002, 08:33 AM

My original post attacked no one here, but the band itself. Fleetwood Mac and its members are by law public figures. And as such, they are worthy of public scrutiny and are the subject of public opinions, including attacks on their choices. And this is what happens on bulletin boards. If you can't handle it, well, you know what Truman said about getting out of the kitchen.

I have been reacting to speculation that was posted here as fact in reaction to my original post. My point being that we can all come up with all kinds of theories about why the band is doing a greatest hits album when it is clearly unneeded from a fan point of view. A greatest hits package at this point is nothing short of a business decision. It is greedy and disrespectful of the fans, and if the band wanted to fight it, they CAN. They absolutely can. Just because Lindsey or Stevie shrug their shoulders publicly about label decisions doesn't mean we have to accept their justifications. All Lindsey has to do is threaten to walk away from the new album project, and the label will start reconsidering it. He has that power, regardless of whatever contractual obligations may be at play. He chooses not to use it.

If you accept the band's justifications, that's fine. If you want to buy a stupid hits records, go for it. If you don't think that it is greedy, indeed you are entitled to your opinion. But I remain steadfast in my opinion that it is a greedy move and that anyone who trusts blindly that the band has no choice and that this isn't a money-grubbing scheme is naive.
Old 06-27-2002, 08:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile Wild heart

Thanks! I couldn't agree more and I'm glad all that's sorted out now

Well, "wet camel food" is an anagram for "Fleetwood Mac", that's all (I heard about it in VH1's "Pop up video" show when they played the "Hold me" video way back when). I tried more everyday names when I came to the ledge but they were all already taken, so I figured I would remember that one easy and it would be bizarre enough to be free and it was so I took it!

John
Old 06-27-2002, 09:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Lightbulb Video compilation

I sent Mick a message through his web page suggesting that they consider a video compilation (a DVD would be even better) in lieu of a GH CD for the Christmas promotional effort. I'm assuming somebody reads the emails - it could be the reason we got a Mick interview after pauseandplay.com announced the Spring 2003 release date for the new album.

Barbara
Old 06-27-2002, 10:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My original post attacked no one here, but the band itself.
Well isn't that peachy! Maybe you should have continued that philosophy for some of your other posts.

You know I can totally see where you are coming from with some of your points and I agree with some of what you say. There is a way to post those points, though, and when others don't agree it is unnecessary to imply they are either stupid or naive.

Pip
Old 06-27-2002, 10:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I sent Mick a message through his web page suggesting that they consider a video compilation (a DVD would be even better) in lieu of a GH CD for the Christmas promotional effort. I'm assuming somebody reads the emails - it could be the reason we got a Mick interview after pauseandplay.com announced the Spring 2003 release date for the new album.

That's a great idea Barbara. A video compilation is long overdue! Maybe some more emails would not go amiss

Pip
Old 06-27-2002, 10:38 AM

Gypsy-Rhiannon, I challenge you to find any example in this thread in which I called anyone who posts here stupid. I appreciate your sentiments, but let's stick to the facts.
Old 06-27-2002, 10:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Gypsy-Rhiannon, I challenge you to find any example in this thread in which I called anyone who posts here stupid. I appreciate your sentiments, but let's stick to the facts.
Oh grow up. I believe it is the other thread that is dancing around the same subject where you implied I was stupid bacause of my post...I believe you said 'stupid or hypocrytical'. I know all about the legality of downloading demos and I don't need to justify what I know to you. Oh and I guess you will consider me 'not smart' as I am not recanting anything due to a temporary lack of judgement. You have obviously totally ignored the point I made elsewhere about having a grown up discussion listening to both sides of the argument without resorting to name calling.

Pip
Old 06-27-2002, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile Well, I guess I'll jump in right here.

You know, when I heard this Greatest Hits album was coming out, I just kind of moaned out loud & said, "Not another one!" I kind of felt The Dance was a greatest hits collection (with some new songs), & also there is another greatest hits CD out there as well. I love both. But this Fleetwood Mac new album is like what's going with Daryl Hall & John Oates. They released another greatest hits album recently, a VH1 Collection, only they've thrown us a bone, so to speak, by putting three new songs on there which are excellent. I've been waiting forever for their "new" album. I've even heard from Daryl's lips in the Fall of 2000, "The new album is coming out the first of the year" meaning 2001. Here it is almost 2003, & I'm still waiting though the latest is it's being released this Fall. No one knows what the hold up is, them or their record company like FM. So the moral I guess is 1) never believe anything the band says because when you have the new CD in your hands, then it's "out", 2) a greatest hits collection isn't all that bad because you get some old songs, but sometimes you get some new ones, too. I'll be buying both because I love FM no matter how long I have to wait. I know some people think FM is just milking it to make a buck, but really FM is a business, & they are out to make a profit like any business, but they also want to satisfy their many fans because without us, they really wouldn't be where they are today.

Lee
Old 06-27-2002, 12:01 PM

"Oh grow up. I believe it is the other thread that is dancing around the same subject where you implied I was stupid bacause of my post...I believe you said 'stupid or hypocrytical'. I know all about the legality of downloading demos and I don't need to justify what I know to you."

You're right. You don't need to justify anything to me, especially since I really couldn't care less what you think. You're mixing things up here. In this thread, as far as I can tell, I made no references to downloading or anything of the sort. Yet you insist on bringing up topics here that belong elsewhere. Again, get your facts straight.

We were having a pretty good, civil discussion here, despite disagreements, until you came around with your nonsense.
Old 06-27-2002, 12:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
We were having a pretty good, civil discussion here, despite disagreements, until you came around with your nonsense.
Think that if you wish. I could care less. I don't wish to discuss things further with you. But I get the feeling that not everyone will agree with your statement....pot...kettle....black springs to mind

Pip
Old 06-27-2002, 01:32 PM

"I don't wish to discuss things further with you."

Hey, thank you. I was hoping. It's not like I ever wanted to discuss any of this with you anyway. I'd rather have a discussion with rational individuals.

"But I get the feeling that not everyone will agree with your statement....pot...kettle....black springs to mind."

Huh? Time to get off the sauce perhaps?
Old 06-27-2002, 02:02 PM
Junior Ledgie

After reading completely thru this whole thread, a few thoughts came to mind:

1. I'm sorry, but the truth is: Mick Fleetwood is a greedy bastard. Always has been, always WILL be. Take anything and everything he says with a VERY large grain of salt. The man is a human version of Daffy Duck -- always scheming to make himself look good, regardless of the cost.

2. These folks will more than likely drop dead before they ever release another new album. (The whole situation surrounding the death of Cardinals pitcher Darryl Kile just increased my worry for LB and SN, with their family histories of heart disease.)

3. Why in gods name is this allegedly "almost finished" LB solo album/FMac album still not out five years after it provided the impetus for the whole Mac reunion? Is it the Mac's fault? Probably not. Is it the record company's fault. MOST LIKELY.

I wish to heck that the Mac would follow the examples set by Wilco, Ani DeFranco, etc. and just "go their own way" (sorry for the pun). Screw the record company -- hire some high-powered lawyer to get themselves out of their WB contract, then hire an internet-saavy kid to set up their own website to provide stuff directly to the fans. That way they themselves reap the complete benefit of their work and don't have to settle for getting a mere double-digit percentage from the record company.

4. I love the Mac and have since Rumours. But I'm *VERY* frustrated with their complete lack of communications with their fans, and the way they blow us off in general. I know -- those of you who've been lucky enough to meet individual members find them nice and accomodating, but as a general rule, as a group, we fans don't even register on their radar.

Why are they like this? Why do they seem to have no clue how frustrated and deprived their fans are for new material? Well, remember that they are all Baby Boomers. Boomers, as a complete and utter generalization, tend to be wrapped up completely in themselves without any concept of their wider responsibilities. (prime example: Bill Clinton....and for what it's worth, I voted for the man twice, and would have voted for him over Bush had it been allowed....but I digress. Send your flames to me offlist.)

5. In this day and age where even M&Ms and Kotex have a freaking website, WHY do the members of the Mac continue to stick their heads in the sand and completely ignore the web and the possibilities thereof? They could embrace the Penguin, god knows -- it's already set up and has complete credibility among Mac fans. Or if they wanted to, they could hire numerous out-of-work tech geeks whose companies folded underneath them when the dot-coms crashed to build them a killer website.....the possibilities are endless.

Ok. My ranting is over and I feel better. Since I can't actually vent at the Mac, I have to do it here. Thanks for listening.
Old 06-27-2002, 02:08 PM

Thanks for the flash of lucidity and sanity, Stephmoore. Well said.
Old 06-27-2002, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Nicely said Stephmoore.

Seteca, both you and I have questioned if The Ledge is a "DISCUSSION" board and not a praise board in the last 24 hours. Coincidence? I don't think so.

As far as the Greatest Hits album is concerned Warner Reprise may have decided to release this without any discussion with the band, as I believe contracually they are probably allowed to do. So let's not give the band too much grief at this stage. It would make sense for the record company to re-educate the masses to Mac before a new album was released.
However, if they release a greatest hits DVD or video as well then this will surely end Marty's and Ken Calliat's hopes of releasing a fans "best of" DVD and this would really dishearten me.

Nice to see a heathy debate for once, at least since the Lindsey vs Knopfler thread was killed off by too many narrow minded individuals.

Carry on please.