Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:49 AM

Default Janis Joplin Documentary to Premiere in September

Cat Power to narrate documentary about Janis Joplin
Titled 'Janis', the feature-length doc will premiere in September
NICK LEVINE, 30TH JULY 2015

Cat Power is to narrate a forthcoming documentary about Janis Joplin.

Titled Janis, the feature-length documentary from Oscar-nominated director Amy Berg will premiere at the Venice Film Festival in September. Joplin's estate has endorsed the film, which will feature some of the late singer's best known-songs including 'Cry Baby' and 'Piece Of My Heart'.

As part of her narration, Cat Power - real name Chan Marshall - will read letters Joplin wrote to her friends and lovers. "After attempting to get this film off the ground for seven years, I am ecstatic that the film is finally ready to be seen," Berg said in a press release. "This has been a labour of love, and I cannot wait to share Janis' unique, intimate story with the world. Chan Marshall has delivered a beautiful, introspective voice of Janis' by reading her letters."

The documentary will also feature interviews with Joplin's family and friends and various concert footage shot between 1967 and 1970. Joplin died on October 4, 1970 at the age of 27 from a heroin overdose possibly compounded by alcohol.

In recent years several biopics of Joplin have been mooted, with actresses including Renee Zellweger, Amy Adams, Zooey Deschanel and Pink all tipped to play the iconic singer. However, none of these films has made it into production yet.

Read more at http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/ca...VGoWMZyWxvv.99
Old 07-30-2015, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The best book on Janis is Scars of Sweet Paradise ...Janis Joplin by Alice Echols (2000)

Best doc goes back to 1974... The Way She Was: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073193/...nm_flmg_arf_43
Old 07-31-2015, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wonder if Stevie's name will get mentioned in the docu.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 08-03-2015, 10:30 AM

45 Years Ago: Janis Joplin Makes Her Final Appearance on ‘The Dick Cavett Show’
By Jeff Giles August 3, 2015 10:57 AM

Janis Joplin may have seemed like an odd fit for the square Dick Cavett, but the two really appeared to hit it off: Joplin appeared on The Dick Cavett show repeatedly during the last year of her life, taping her final visit on Aug. 3, 1970.

The warm rapport between Cavett and his guest is evident from the first moments of the above clip, which begins with Cavett telling Joplin, “Very nice to see you, my little songbird.” Although Joplin confesses to the usual celebrity interview issues later in the conversation, admitting she sometimes feels like she’s saying things the other person doesn’t understand, she seems totally at ease during this conversation, a wide-ranging but informal chat that touches on everything from her feelings regarding concert riots to whether or not she ever waterskis (“I don’t think I’ve seen a lake in about eight years, man”).

It isn’t the type of interview that contains any real revelations, but the playful banter between the two is still a real pleasure to watch— as when Joplin dissolves into giggles after Cavett brings up the “groovy” limo service she employed, bashfully admitting, “I always sit in the front seat. When you ride in a limousine, you’re supposed to lay in the back, but I always sit in the front, so I can look at everybody.

Sadly, as Joplin fans know, she was near the end of her life when she made this appearance. The singer died on Oct. 4, 1970, the result of an accidental heroin overdose later attributed to a particularly bad strain of the drug that felled other regular customers of Joplin’s dealer. She gave her final interview (=http://www.brainpickings.org/2013/09/30/janis-joplin-final-interview-animated/) four days before her death.

Mortality was on Joplin’s mind during the days after this Cavett appearance, albeit not her own; shortly after making her final visit to the show, she bought a headstone for her singing idol, blues legend Bessie Smith, who had been buried in an unmarked grave since 1937.

Read More: 45 Years Ago: Janis Joplin Makes Her Final Appearance on 'The Dick Cavett Show' | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/janis...ckback=tsmclip
Old 08-03-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
I wonder if Stevie's name will get mentioned in the docu.
From what I've understood it is unlikely since the documentary is mostly based on Janis Joplin's inner circle and her correspondence, but Stevie could make way for herself like she did for the Eagles documentary and that of the old guy with a long beard whose name I don't remember (sorry he isn't famous in my country).
Old 08-03-2015, 10:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Stevie could make way for herself like she did for the Eagles documentary and that of the old guy with a long beard whose name I don't remember (sorry he isn't famous in my country).
Leon Russell.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:45 AM

Old 09-11-2015, 10:13 AM

Janis Joplin's Bandmate Talks Heroin, Pool Hangs in Exclusive Doc Clip
'Janis: Little Girl Blue' to make world premiere at Venice Film Festival, North American debut in Toronto
By Jon Blistein September 2, 2015

A new documentary detailing the brilliant rise and sudden death of Janis Joplin, Janis: Little Girl Blue, will make its world premiere on September 5th at the Venice Film Festival. The film boasts a bevy of new audio and video footage, and in this exclusive clip for Rolling Stone, Joplin can be seen departing New York's famed Chelsea Hotel and lounging with friends and bandmates in California.

As late Big Brother and the Holding Company Sam Andrew recalls in the clip, the band lived at the Chelsea while they were recording 1968's Cheap Thrills, and then spent a good chunk of the year in Southern California when they weren't on the road.

Set to Big Brother's rendition of "Magic of Love," the footage of Joplin and company poolside or running around New York is innocent enough. Though Andrew casually remembers, "We would get together and do heroin in these peoples' rooms and just kind of, not nod off or go to sleep, but have really nice, mellow conversations."

Janis: Little Girl Blue was directed by Amy J. Berg — who earned an Oscar nomination in 2007 for Deliver Us From Evil — and narrated by Chan Marshall (a.k.a. Cat Power), who will read from the rock legend's personal letters.

The film will explore the two sides of Joplin: The storied, empowered musician on record and stage and the woman who remained haunted by insecurities borne out of a difficult adolescence in Port Arthur, Texas. Among the film's unearthed gems is footage of Joplin playing "Me and Bobby McGee" for members of the Grateful Dead and the Band, as well as her return to Texas for her 10-year high school reunion.

Janis features interviews with Bob Weir, Clive Davis, Melissa Etheridge, D.A. Pennebaker (who also contributes film and audio from his archives) and Dick Cavett, as well as Joplin's family, childhood friends and bandmates. Following its world premiere at Venice, the doc will make its North American debut at the Toronto Film Festival, which begins September 10th.

Clip here > Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz3lRWuOHys
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook