User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-18-2022, 03:17 PM
Ledgie

Default "Tusk" Track by Track Phonogenics 101 Podcast Discussion

Hey y'all,

For those who enjoy them, here is our "Tusk" track by track discussion. I expect people who have varying takes on this album, and I love that.

I got Bell's Palsy two days before this Podcast and it set in worse and worse the days following it. I had to cancel all episodes after this until I get better, sadly.

Anyhow, here's what we had to say:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiR2ky1LMy8&t=5s

Hope you enjoy and I love hearing what people agree and disagree with!
Old 06-18-2022, 07:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Great job, Jeremy! I have to be honest- when I saw the video was 2 hours and 45 minutes long, I was like “um, no” LOL! But it was a great watch and I enjoyed the insights, especially the nugget about the opening line of Beautiful Child and the pain of Not That Funny live. Ironically, I don’t think Not That Funny live is as long as you think it is- it just seems like an eternity! I tend to mirror Roland’s viewpoints about the songs more than anyone else’s, but that’s why it’s fun to watch these videos- so we can see different viewpoints. I really agreed with the comments about Sara being such a sexual, sensual song, and the lyric “and undoing the laces… undoing the laces…” and how the song continues to go on even as it fades out. Nice to see someone picking up the same things I love about that song.

Tusk has songs I love, and songs I hate. I mean, I love Brown Eyes, Storms, I Know I’m Not Wrong, Sara, Beautiful Child, That’s All For Everyone, Think About Me, What Makes You Think You’re the One, Save Me a Place, and Over and Over. I hate the Ledge, Not That Funny, Honey Hi, and That’s Enough For Me. The rest I like just fine, don’t love ‘em but definitely don’t hate ‘em.
Old 06-19-2022, 07:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I tend to mirror Roland’s viewpoints about the songs more than anyone else’s,
Great minds think alike!

Roland
Old 06-19-2022, 11:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool

Cool idea. Your group really invested in this. A lot of songs to discuss.

Just a few things:

—Christine has six Tusk songs, Lindsey nine, Stevie five. Yes, Stevie’s five songs run longer than all of Lindsey’s or Christine’s.

—I don’t think Stevie is present on “Think About Me.” She was on one of the early versions, but for the album it’s just Christine and Lindsey.

—Yes, most of Lindsey’s songs were recorded all by himself but “Walk a Thin Line” does feature harmonies from both Stevie and Christine. Outtake footage from the Tusk Tour doc shows this. Plus used footage shows Christine and Lindsey coming up with the background vocal arrangement together.

—I was thrilled to see such love for “Honey Hi.” Delighted to see love for both Christine’s “Never” songs. And agree: “Sara” is a miracle, thanks in no small part to the group orchestration and the layers and layers of harmonies. What a moment!

—Surprised more of you didn’t love “Not That Funny”! It’s great live (as one of you noted) and I love the studio version, too.

—“Brown Eyes” is exceptional. Your group’s naysayer will not be forgiven for equating the song title with a butthole.

Edit: I was wrong about “Think About Me.” Bly has schooled me. After years of enjoying the song, I actually listened for Stevie this time and heard her in the blend.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 06-19-2022 at 09:33 PM..
Old 06-19-2022, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendaze5 View Post
Great minds think alike!

Roland
I cant wait to listen to this. And you are one of the best panelists. I must admit I had trouble getting through the Rumours one because of the one panelists comments against Herbert Worthington. He was a brilliant photographer who lived with Jimi Hendrix and photographed rockers in their natural and most brilliant ways. Fleetwood Mac used him and so did Stevie. In the 20th anniversary video of Rumours, he was in tears talking about his work on the back cover of Rumours. Its brilliant, shows emotion, action among other things. Its not some cheezy still photo of everyone smiling. The panelist hated the work because Chris's head was turned in the main photo. I love different opinions but when he started talking about the solo keyboard work Chris does on Second Hand News, I had to turn away. Chris does not play keyboards on that song at least most of the time and surely does not do a solo.
I love these videos but I could not get through that one because way too much time is given to that guy LOL
Jeremy is so funny and his jokes crack me up. I am interested to hear this one.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 06-19-2022 at 12:04 PM..
Old 06-19-2022, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
—Yes, most of Lindsey’s songs were recorded all by himself but “Walk a Thin Line” does feature harmonies from both Stevie and Christine. Outtake footage from the Tusk Tour doc shows this. Plus used footage shows Christine and Lindsey coming up with the background vocal arrangement together.

—Surprised more of you didn’t love “Not That Funny”! It’s great live (as one of you noted) and I love the studio version, too.

—“Brown Eyes” is exceptional. Your group’s naysayer will not be forgiven for equating the song title with a butthole.
Isn't that(in the outtakes) where Lindsey says, "as little vibrato as you can go for, Stevie"? And Christine and Lindsey have "a look" at each other, sort of rolling their eyes?

Not That Funny is Not That Good. I'll never understand the love that Lindsey has for it. It's OKAY, but that's about it. And NO SCREAMING on the live versions.

Someone pointed out years ago here, about it being about buttholes. I'd NEVER thought of it like that until then, but you know, you just can't let some things go....
Old 06-19-2022, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I cant wait to listen to this. And you are one of the best panelists.

Jeremy is so funny and his jokes crack me up. I am interested to hear this one.
Yes Roland is! His explanation of the first line of Beautiful Child was spot on and helpful to me. And a shout out to all the panelists, but especially to Jeremy the moderator, who was having some health issues but pulled through like a pro! I love his jokes and especially when he breaks into song- so awesome!
Old 06-19-2022, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
—I don’t think Stevie is present on “Think About Me.” She was on one of the early versions, but for the album it’s just Christine and Lindsey.

If Stevie isn’t on Think About Me, she should have been.

As the panelists pointed out, it’s so frustrating everyone has to guess who’s playing on the songs- we should know Mick is playing drums, we should know John is playing bass, and we should know Christine is playing keyboards.

I was surprised at Nathan’s comments regarding Brown Eyes, but again a good reminder everyone is different. While I can’t debate his dislike of the song, I can debate his reasons- Brown Eyes doesn’t feel forced to me at all. To me, it has an ethereal, almost sinister (maybe haunting is the right word) quality to it. It resembles a Stevie song, but only because Christine’s songs are usually so catchy and upbeat, whereas Brown Eyes sounds almost threatening, along the lines of Silver Springs. Doesn’t remind me of Oh Daddy at all, or any other Christine song, for that matter until Carnival Begin came out. They are very similar in my eyes.
Old 06-19-2022, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Yes Roland is! His explanation of the first line of Beautiful Child was spot on and helpful to me. And a shout out to all the panelists, but especially to Jeremy the moderator, who was having some health issues but pulled through like a pro! I love his jokes and especially when he breaks into song- so awesome!
Jeremy is hysterical. Many on these panels are only Stevie fans but I appreciate their perspective. The RAL panel was the best. Really hard core fans who know their s**t. Jeremy singing the bridge to Big Time Rock N Roll Star made me fall out of my chair among his other Red Rocks jokes. He is a natural comedian.

These panels are very similar to this board. So many different perspectives and shocking ones too
Old 06-19-2022, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=bwboy;1275352]If Stevie isn’t on Think About Me, she should have been.

Stevie is definitely on Think About Me. You can hear her voice join in on the chorus. If you listen to any of the remasters even more so.
Old 06-19-2022, 02:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Jeremy is hysterical. Many on these panels are only Stevie fans but I appreciate their perspective. The RAL panel was the best. Really hard core fans who know their s**t. Jeremy singing the bridge to Big Time Rock N Roll Star made me fall out of my chair among his other Red Rocks jokes. He is a natural comedian.

These panels are very similar to this board. So many different perspectives and shocking ones too
What I love about the panels is that they’re all completely neutral about the band. They’re there to talk about the music and the music alone. No member bashing, no negative or nasty comments, just respectful yet fun discussion of the music. Good natured fun. I know it’s a long ways off, but I can’t wait for their discussion of Behind the Mask.
Old 06-19-2022, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
What I love about the panels is that they’re all completely neutral about the band. They’re there to talk about the music and the music alone. No member bashing, no negative or nasty comments, just respectful yet fun discussion of the music. Good natured fun. I know it’s a long ways off, but I can’t wait for their discussion of Behind the Mask.
Yes that is what I like the most about the panel. However all of them are more “ Stevie Nicks” fans Not “Fleetwood Mac” fans which was pretty obvious with a couple exceptions. All good stuff ,thanks Jeremy.
Old 06-19-2022, 09:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=BLY;1275355]
Quote:
If Stevie isn’t on Think About Me, she should have been.

Stevie is definitely on Think About Me. You can hear her voice join in on the chorus. If you listen to any of the remasters even more so.
I really don’t hear her, but I believe you. She’s not on Hold Me yet sang on an early take. I wager the same is the case here, but I’ll give it another listen and am hoping I’m wrong.

Edit: I just listened and you’re right. Her voice is fully integrated into the three-part harmony (unlike on, say, “Love In Store” where she soars over the other two). For this reason, I had to listen for it…

Last edited by aleuzzi; 06-19-2022 at 09:31 PM..
Old 06-19-2022, 09:32 PM

Quote:

Edit: I just listened and you’re right. Her voice is fully integrated into the three-part harmony (unlike on, say, “Love In Store” where she soars over the other two). For this reason, I had to listen for it…
You're movin too fast
Old 06-19-2022, 09:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
You're movin too fast
That’s what I get for not hanging around