User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-25-2022, 09:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
look up i think it was Gold Dust Woman from Paris 2013. one of her songs. he's soloing all over the place. it's amazing. and then look at the comments. Stevie cult spitting all over him that why is he overshadowing her on her song.
If Stevie ever felt he was stepping on her musically in concert, she should have put more intensity into her performance. That's what they both used to do in the old days -- try to batter the hell out of each other with passionate arena rock showmanship -- and it made for a memorable show, especially if you were within twenty or thirty rows of the stage. (That's why they used to call Christine the eye of the hurricane.) The jiu jitsu started on "Monday Morning" and spiked and troughed through a two-hour set. The hand-holding cutesiness of "Angel" on the St. Louis film was early in the tour and did not last -- that song and others (like "World Turning" and "Go Your Own Way") developed into a Buckingham vs. Nicks fight for stage supremacy, whether through instrumental or vocal means. None of this "He's playing too loud" griping. When he turned it up, she turned it up. You guys have all seen "The Chain" from the 1982 LA gig. There were great patches like that at literally every show. I've always said that what everybody lauded as a one-off of emotional energy was happening all the time, actually. (You should have seen the Irvine Meadows show three days before that. LA was just like second and third takes.) It was thrilling back then because they really put it all into Fleetwood Mac. The band members were still tight enough to go outrageously over the top.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 01-25-2022, 09:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Do you think Mike was the musical director on the last tour?
I don’t know if they had one, to be honest. I think it was more of a group effort.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-25-2022, 09:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Lindsey's OOTC tour as an example? oh yeah that was definitely one neutered tour.
“The Chain” was certainly neutered. Even the solo after the bass solo was significantly pared down. Blah. Like, why bother?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-25-2022, 09:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
If Stevie ever felt he was stepping on her musically in concert, she should have put more intensity into her performance. That's what they both used to do in the old days -- try to batter the hell out of each other with passionate arena rock showmanship -- and it made for a memorable show, especially if you were within twenty or thirty rows of the stage. (That's why they used to call Christine the eye of the hurricane.) The jiu jitsu started on "Monday Morning" and spiked and troughed through a two-hour set. The hand-holding cutesiness of "Angel" on the St. Louis film was early in the tour and did not last -- that song and others (like "World Turning" and "Go Your Own Way") developed into a Buckingham vs. Nicks fight for stage supremacy, whether through instrumental or vocal means. None of this "He's playing too loud" griping. When he turned it up, she turned it up. You guys have all seen "The Chain" from the 1982 LA gig. There were great patches like that at literally every show. I've always said that what everybody lauded as a one-off of emotional energy was happening all the time, actually. (You should have seen the Irvine Meadows show three days before that. LA was just like second and third takes.) It was thrilling back then because they really put it all into Fleetwood Mac. The band members were still tight enough to go outrageously over the top.
love this so much! thanks for describing it.

yes, i guess what we newcomers in the fandom have now is mostly that crazy The Chain, so at least there's that memento of the times long passed.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-25-2022, 09:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
do not underestimate the contribution of coke to the energy of those performances, especially Stevie's. Without that energy boost, and combined with the inevitable slowing down of some kind due to aging (don't care about Lindsey; she's not him and clearly it has affected her differently than him) her performances just can't begin to retain that of the earlier years.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
(don't care about Lindsey; she's not him and clearly it has affected her differently than him)
He’s slowed down, too, just differently. Physically, he still puts on a relatively energetic show, but the intensity has waned. He also doesn’t play as hard as he used to. Compare everything up to the Mirage tour, and even by the OOTC tour he started paring things down. It’s like he went from being a boxer to a wound up kid at Chuck E. Cheese.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-26-2022, 07:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
do not underestimate the contribution of coke to the energy of those performances, especially Stevie's. Without that energy boost, and combined with the inevitable slowing down of some kind due to aging (don't care about Lindsey; she's not him and clearly it has affected her differently than him) her performances just can't begin to retain that of the earlier years.
Oh yes definitely. Coke was the fuel for many manic performances. By the mid 80s, it was ruining the performances but it was so bad it was sort of good in a twisted way. Then klonopin turned her into a zombie with passionless performances. Then she quit smoking and her voice got flat. Now she is just old.

I think her Gold Dust Woman performance at the Bob Welch and friends concert is one of the best ever. Totally coke fueled. Her speaking in tongues Sisters performance totally coke fueled. Even when she would speak to the audience in those days, her thoughts were one step ahead of her words and sometimes what she was talking about collided with what she was about to say and it made little sense. IMHO the best dancing she ever did on stage was at the end of How Still My Love on the Wild Heart tour. Benmont would play this solo near the end of the song and she would do this full body dance flapping her arms. It was insanely good. Coke fueled good times!

These were the days. How Still My Love was so good in those days. Its like her band slows down for her while she fetches a hat from the audience before the second verse. Incredible! Then she is so high she starts jogging in place at the mic near the end. LOVE IT. BTW, with the right mix of controlled substances, I can also do this dance and clap opposite the beat just like her.
It does not get better than this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if0l...Vl-f0&index=13

Last edited by Macfan4life; 01-26-2022 at 08:25 AM..
Old 01-26-2022, 08:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Oh yes definitely. Coke was the fuel for many manic performances. By the mid 80s, it was ruining the performances but it was so bad it was sort of good in a twisted way. Then klonopin turned her into a zombie with passionless performances. Then she quit smoking and her voice got flat. Now she is just old.

I think her Gold Dust Woman performance at the Bob Welch and friends concert is one of the best ever. Totally coke fueled. Her speaking in tongues Sisters performance totally coke fueled. Even when she would speak to the audience in those days, her thoughts were one step ahead of her words and sometimes what she was talking about collided with what she was about to say and it made little sense. IMHO the best dancing she ever did on stage was at the end of How Still My Love on the Wild Heart tour. Benmont would play this solo near the end of the song and she would do this full body dance flapping her arms. It was insanely good. Coke fueled good times!

These were the days. How Still My Love was so good in those days. Its like her band slows down for her while she fetches a hat from the audience before the second verse. Incredible! Then she is so high she starts jogging in place at the mic near the end. LOVE IT. BTW, with the right mix of controlled substances, I can also do this dance and clap opposite the beat just like her.
It does not get better than this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if0l...Vl-f0&index=13

Holy smokes. These are amazing. i thought I'd seen everything, but I've never seen these. Those were the days, indeed. If only these old films could be restored. Thank you so much for sharing.
Old 01-27-2022, 12:42 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
He’s slowed down, too, just differently. Physically, he still puts on a relatively energetic show, but the intensity has waned. He also doesn’t play as hard as he used to. It’s like he went from being a boxer to a wound up kid at Chuck E. Cheese.
His playing on the HBO/Mirage tour show is just... frenetic. Then you look at the way he plays NGBA nowadays and it's just blahhhh. But we forgive him, I mean it's been 40 years!
Old 01-28-2022, 05:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

replying to Steviegirl:

These were the wild days when she had total sex appeal and could get away with crazy stuff on stage because of her looks. By the time RAL came around, her vocals were cokey, she just screamed and yelled, and her weight gain hurt her image. The Wild Heart tour was hit or miss with more hits. RAL was mostly misses. I've listened to most Wild Heart shows on youtube and pretty much think I saw the worst one. At times her vocals were cokey but there were times of really great vocals. Her decline started with Wild Heart shows. Bella Donna was fierce and strong vocals. But this time was the best with her going right up to the line of keeping control. She can be crazy but still belt out a pretty good vocal performance. IMHO her best years were 1980-1983
I've always wondered what happened to the Pro Shot Largo show post Gypsy. Maybe the tape was destroyed or maybe it was so bad it was destroyed on purpose . She started out really cokey. I believe they planned the entire Elaine thing making it a wow moment for the concert video. But I think she was too high to let it be released.
In any event, like you I wish there were more pro shot videos of this time but I am so thankful even for this grainy footage because of all things...it was WILD! She did the MC Hammer dance almost 20 years before MC Hammer

Last edited by Macfan4life; 01-28-2022 at 05:30 AM..
Old 01-28-2022, 11:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Well this was a nice surprise. Never saw these videos before.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Yeah, but I'm sure he did things to appease the old goat.
The counter to that is “Black Magic Woman” from the last tour where there was an extended jam with Mike and Christine.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-28-2022, 07:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The counter to that is “Black Magic Woman” from the last tour where there was an extended jam with Mike and Christine.
Black Magic Woman isn't her song and she did sing Ah, Ah, Ah, Ah over the jam at the shows I attended. She introduced the song saying that it was written by Peter Green and that she thought it was written by Carlos Santana (she never said Santana but a band that will remain nameless)

No soloing in Rhiannon which would've been nice. I wish Neil had sung Black Magic Woman instead of Stevie. Chris would've sounded good on that one too.
Old 01-29-2022, 11:04 AM

Quote:
That was the best moment in the tour for me. Watching them jam.
Old 01-29-2022, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
That was the best moment in the tour for me. Watching them jam.
There was a tour?