User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-02-2021, 06:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
Stevie and Harry were in Rome, Italy in May? May 2020 or May 2021? Neither year could be considered a safe time to be in Italy with the pandemic and all.

Or are you joking around and they weren’t in Rome and I’ve fallen for the joke?

Moving on from that curiosity (maybe you meant May 2019 they were in Italy, who knows?) I must agree that despite the 24 Karat Gold Tour set list being one of Stevie’s “less safe” set lists, it was still pretty safe. All the classic hits were there (except she dropped the tired old “Dreams” from the set for part of the tour - they put it back in later) and she did a mere THREE songs from her latest studio album.

I thought Gold and Braid was a hopeless choice to open the set. I don’t even know which album it comes from and when you are an established singer with a fan base then you ought to open with either:
(A) A very well known catchy upbeat song from your catalogue that the most casual fans would even know
OR
(B) choose boldly and open with a new song off your latest album - why not Starshine, given it is super catchy and was a single?

If I got to choose the “new” songs I wanted to hear at those concerts:
- Starshine (tick)
- Belle Fleur (tick)
- 24 Karat Gold
- All the Beautiful Worlds
- Hard Advice (acoustic version with Waddy or Dave Stewart)
- Twisted
- Watch Chain
- I Don’t Care (and dedicate it to Lindsey by saying “I’d like to take a moment. Just to dedicate this newish song to Lindsey. Because it’s not written about him, but it just sums up so perfectly how I feel about him trying to record a Fleetwood Mac album without me… you’ll hear it when I sing it… “I don’t mean it, I do care. I would follow you anywhere. Lindsey, what would my life be without you in it? Jealous, broken, lost and angry” … this is “I Don’t Care”.)
Now I’m just being cheeky.
- She Loves Him Still (This should have either closed the set or been the second last song played before Landslide.)

Quick question was Landslide the last song she played on this tour? It was the encore, like it is on the live album, right?
Stevie and Harry did a private show for Gucci in May of 2019. Harry did Stop Draggin and Landslide w. her.

Landslide was the last song, but she started the tour closing the set with Leather and Lace.

She should've dumped Gold Dust Woman, Landslide, Rhiannon, and Gypsy for Rooms on Fire, Talk to Me, I Can't Wait, & Whole Lotta Trouble that way you're still doing radio songs over deep cuts. Oh well.
Old 08-08-2021, 06:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post

I thought Gold and Braid was a hopeless choice to open the set. I don’t even know which album it comes from
Gold & Braid never made it onto an album. It’s an oddity in Stevie’s cannon. It was demo’d for Bella Donna but never made the record. She then did a killer live version of it on the Bella Donna tour.

It didn’t show up again until the Enchanted tour in 98. The 1981 live version was included on the boxset.

It was certainly a strange choice of opener but I love that she brought it back. The 81 live version is one of my most played Stevie tracks.
Old 08-08-2021, 09:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
Gold & Braid never made it onto an album. ItÂ’s an oddity in StevieÂ’s cannon. It was demoÂ’d for Bella Donna but never made the record. She then did a killer live version of it on the Bella Donna tour.
I actually think it is one of the best songs she has ever written. I was lucky enough to see the shows in Beverly Hills, and nobody of course had any idea what that song was. All we knew was that is was a killer song you could dance to. (There was an article in US around that time with some song titles listed, including "A Bit of Gold," "Braid," and "Blue Lamp.") I was at the theater with a sizable group of Macheads and fans. In fact, at first we thought it was not even HER song - we literally thought it was a cover of someone else's song. It sounded like something from Laura Nyro from her "Stoned Soul Picnic" or "Jimmy Mack" years.

Quote:
It didnÂ’t show up again until the Enchanted tour in 98. The 1981 live version was included on the boxset.
I think that's right. Or, wait, didn't she bring it back for the 1983 US Festival?

Quote:
It was certainly a strange choice of opener but I love that she brought it back. The 81 live version is one of my most played Stevie tracks.
I wish the Bella Donna Ultra-Spiffy Deluxe collection had put one of the other 1981 concerts in the collection, like Oakland or Dallas.

I was thinking of great songs that Stevie has essentially neglected for decades, and "Angel" comes immediately to my mind. Fleetwood Mac does it for one tour and one tour only (and it is one of the set highlights almost every time it was done). Stevie Nicks does it for really super-short tour in 1981, and a few performances on her next tour. That's it. Crickets on it until right up to the present. Did she forget about it?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-14-2021, 12:10 AM
Senior Ledgie

"Stand Back" SNL 1983 has to be my favourite Stevie performance, ever.

I still get chills watching that
Old 08-14-2021, 05:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Gold & Braid was played the first week of the Wild Heart Tour. She performed it 4 more stops after the US Festival. She played it in Norfolk, Philly, NJ, and Pittsburgh. I wish she would have played Enchanted more since she only played it a couple of times. The Norfolk show is on youtube where she plays both Enchanted and Gold and Braid and its a fantastic show. She also stuck with Angel instead of Sara only in her Pennsylvania stops.

For the 24K tour, I thought Gold and Braid was a fantastic opener. Its upbeat, has a great guitar solo and makes a statement for an opening song. Although the early dark versions of Gold Dust Woman with Benmont always are my favorite opener. Those are my all time favorite Gold Dust Woman versions.
Old 08-14-2021, 08:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Probably not the best, but I'd say it ranks up there. From the Live Deluxe set.
Lot of good tracks on it.

The whole band rocks on this. Energy level high and it exudes sexiness.
Old 08-16-2021, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
Probably not the best, but I'd say it ranks up there. From the Live Deluxe set. Lot of good tracks on it. The whole band rocks on this. Energy level high and it exudes sexiness.
Isn’t that fantastic? I mean, it’s the high point of the whole collection. Listening to it takes me back to that entire year and the sensations I had watching Fleetwood Mac play all those concerts with their whack. Truly no other band in the major leagues sounded anything like them, except maybe Talking Heads. (“Angel” and “Life During Wartime” are twin brothers from different mothers.)

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-27-2021, 04:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Isn’t that fantastic? I mean, it’s the high point of the whole collection. Listening to it takes me back to that entire year and the sensations I had watching Fleetwood Mac play all those concerts with their whack. Truly no other band in the major leagues sounded anything like them, except maybe Talking Heads. (“Angel” and “Life During Wartime” are twin brothers from different mothers.)
Yeah, it really is. Definitely one of the tracks I gravitate to more on the Live Deluxe set. Their whack, haha, in spades.
Old 08-28-2021, 01:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
Probably not the best, but I'd say it ranks up there. From the Live Deluxe set.
Lot of good tracks on it.

The whole band rocks on this. Energy level high and it exudes sexiness.
the key word here is "high"

man she had such energy on the coke....
Old 08-29-2021, 12:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfz064uFBgs
Old 08-30-2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
Yea, this might be my favorite! She was on fire!!!
Old 08-30-2021, 05:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Of the many awesome Sisters of the Moon performances, this one is the bested she absolutely kills it. However, for my fandom, the '76 Rhiannon performances are essential Stevie and shows her at her most committed Welsh Witch best. Top 3 concert staples remain Rhiannon, Sisters of the Moon and Gold Dust Woman. Take your pick.
Old 08-30-2021, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
These were the last great Mac shows. The shows before back up singers and lip syncing the 1987 concert. Beyond ridiculous but thankfully the Mirage show was captured on video the old fashioned way.....men with cameras on their back instead of those annoying floating cameras with insane close ups. The mid to late 80s really sucked with concert production. It was more glam video stuff than raw rock music.
Old 08-30-2021, 07:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
These were the last great Mac shows. The shows before back up singers and lip syncing the 1987 concert. Beyond ridiculous but thankfully the Mirage show was captured on video the old fashioned way.....men with cameras on their back instead of those annoying floating cameras with insane close ups. The mid to late 80s really sucked with concert production. It was more glam video stuff than raw rock music.
Fleetwood Mac LIVE pretty much died on the last date of the Mirage tour. RIP.
Old 08-30-2021, 09:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Fleetwood Mac LIVE pretty much died on the last date of the Mirage tour. RIP.
This tour (DVD)should have been include with the Mirage box set. The full live set.

Tags
1983, inglewood forum, wild heart tour