User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-05-2024, 04:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Gimme Shelter is the greatest "backing" vocal OF ALL TIME. They should have given her all the royalties from that song, because SHE MADE THE SONG.

I agree it’s the best Actual vocal but gimme shelter has quite a bit else
Going for it that actually equal that vocal. Maybe my favorite song intro of all time. One of the best bass/drum riffs I’ve ever heard. the song is still at least a 9 out of 10 without her and just goes up to 11 with her.

I think Stevie on Midnight Wind is the best example of a BG vocal making a song. And to a lesser extent her backing up Marylin Marrtin covering her own song in sorcerer might be the other greatest BG vocal being the highlight of a song.

This is really where Stevie’s lost the biggest step in my opinion. She’s gone from her BG vocals guaranteed to own a song and take it up at least 2 notches to sometimes barely noticeable or sometimes just terrible (the Elton John song) the only time this century really her backing vocals have really positively impacted a song is that maroon 5 song. That includes all her SYW harmonies

He Will Burn You Down
Old 03-05-2024, 07:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=Hawkeye;1292699

I think Stevie on Midnight Wind is the best example of a BG vocal making a song. And to a lesser extent her backing up Marylin Marrtin covering her own song in sorcerer might be the other greatest BG vocal being the highlight of a song.

This is really where Stevie’s lost the biggest step in my opinion. She’s gone from her BG vocals guaranteed to own a song and take it up at least 2 notches to sometimes barely noticeable or sometimes just terrible (the Elton John song) the only time this century really her backing vocals have really positively impacted a song is that maroon 5 song. That includes all her SYW harmonies[/QUOTE]

I always loved when Stevie added her back vocals back in the day. Stevie’s vocal made Gold a hit for John Stewart.
I agree with the above but don’t forget the Walter Egan tracks. Won’t you Say you Will, Feel so Good, When I get my Wheels, Blonde in the Blue T Bird, Finally Found a Girlfriend, Yes I guess I am. Just to name the stand outs.

Her vocals were her best back in the late 70’s.
Old 03-06-2024, 09:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

IMO part of the problem with her recent vocal collaborations have been the arrangements. A lot of times they're not quite a true duet, the primary artist will sing three quarters of the song and Stevie has a verse to herself in the back half of the song or her background vocals kind of come and go throughout the song in a bit of an inconsistent way.
Old 03-06-2024, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Another oldie classic is Stevie's backing vocals on Mohammed's Radio (Warren Zevon) and of course Magnet and Steel (Walter Egan). I have a vocals-only track of that song and it's great! And of course,Whenever I Call You Friend (Kenny Loggins).

More recently, I think she blended really nicely with LeeAnn Rimes on Borrowed. Excellent.
Old 03-06-2024, 06:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Another oldie classic is Stevie's backing vocals on Mohammed's Radio (Warren Zevon) and of course Magnet and Steel (Walter Egan). I have a vocals-only track of that song and it's great! And of course,Whenever I Call You Friend (Kenny Loggins).

More recently, I think she blended really nicely with LeeAnn Rimes on Borrowed. Excellent.
Yes, I agree all these vocals were amazing! Let’s not forget her vocals on Sandy Stewart’s solo album.
Old 03-15-2024, 11:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
And of course,Whenever I Call You Friend (Kenny Loggins).
When I got the Kenny Loggins GH CD in 1997, I had kind of an Unexpected FM moment, cause I knew but didn't remember Whenever I Call You Friend song. Actually I have no idea it was a duet with Stevie; by 1978 I wasn't a genuine FM fan, I was 12 and starting to know about rock bands (plus I was in my Donna Summer phase).

And that's another evidence that radios don't play cool oldies beyond the classic well known hits (How deep is your love, Hotel Californa, Summer Nights, Dreams) of the late 70s.

By the way the WICYF included in Kenny's CD is longer than the Enchanted edition. It has a cool 8 seconds intro, missed in Enchanted.
Old 03-15-2024, 03:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If we were talking about up-to date collaboration..which we arenÂ’t but
we can imagine..
I would choose Keith Urban, young(ish), good looking,(ish)Â…can sing.
Writes his own stuff and his music is loosely country, which would suit Stevie.
IÂ’m not a big fan of his but he rocks a tune along..
Old 03-16-2024, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post

This is really where Stevie’s lost the biggest step in my opinion. She’s gone from her BG vocals guaranteed to own a song and take it up at least 2 notches to sometimes barely noticeable or sometimes just terrible (the Elton John song) the only time this century really her backing vocals have really positively impacted a song is that maroon 5 song. That includes all her SYW harmonies
This is so true. Stevie was an amazing harmony vocalist at the beginning of her career. Her harmony and background vocals had the ability to transform a song, even with Fleetwood Mac. Some great examples have already been mentioned, "Gold" and "Magnet and Steel" among them.

Stevie also serves transformative harmony vocals on Tom Petty's "Insider", Fleetwood Mac's "Honey Hi" and "Love in Store", and Sandy Stewart's "Get My Way".

The producers should have left more prominent harmony vocals on the chorus of the studio version of "You Make Loving Fun", there are some mixes of the song that feature her more prominently, but they are absent on the Rumours version.
Old 04-02-2024, 01:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Remember when Stevie sang “Smiling Islands” with Robbie Patton?

Remember when Stevie sang something-or-other with Dane Donahue? Neither do I.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-03-2024, 08:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Remember when Stevie sang “Smiling Islands” with Robbie Patton?

Remember when Stevie sang something-or-other with Dane Donahue? Neither do I.
Remember when Stevie sang I Got You Babe with Phil Donahue? That went up like the hindenburg.
Old 04-03-2024, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
Remember when Stevie sang I Got You Babe with Phil Donahue? That went up like the hindenburg.
In the eyes of the world, she has done so much, but she’s up against the wall, Al.

moviekinks.blogspot.com