The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-23-2022, 03:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Never Forget Steve Denison (ChiliD)

Susan Denison has informed me that Steve Denison passed away last week. You veterans know what an integral part of this board chiliD was. I believe some of you even met him before The Ledge, on newsgroups.

Susan reminded me that she and Steve met on The Ledge back in 1997, in a chat room, back when we used to have those. I remember him mentioning that as well.

No one knew Peter Green and Bob Welch's history like he did and he took us to school. He was funny, scathing and so knowledgeable. He told us a lot about FM and also about music in general and gave us firsthand tidbits too. Christine's laughter. Lindsey riding shotgun in a car.

Such sad news. As long as there is a Ledge, I will remember his contributions to it and will miss him, as I do wetcamelfood.

Michele
Old 03-23-2022, 06:10 AM

Awww man, I just wished him a Happy Birthday on FB.

He was truly. a great guy with so much FM knowledge. RIP.
Old 03-23-2022, 10:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh no. Yeah, his birthday was just a couple days ago. He'd been having health issues for the past few years. Rest in peace, Steve.
Old 03-23-2022, 01:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you very much for letting us know. I remember his posts well. May he rest in peace.
Old 03-23-2022, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I always enjoyed reading his posts and his perspective on Fleetwood Mac. RIP, Steve.
Old 03-23-2022, 01:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I always enjoyed and respected his posts. I wondered why I hadn't seen him on here in awhile. RIP You will be missed.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 03-23-2022, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember him pointing out that Lindsey was writing ISA over and over again (like with Tango in the Night) and me, not knowing the notes and chords myself, would think, "They don't sound alike. I don't think they're the same song."

And he told us about Christine not wanting to work with Dave Mason and helped explain things that puzzled us about what the band was doing.

if he got into debates the exchanges could still be fun and informative, not ad hominem.
Old 03-23-2022, 04:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you, Michelle. I remember ChiliD vividly. His enthusiasm for FM from 1967-1974 was unmatched—and he schooled so many of us on specific facts he saw as essential to understanding that part of the band’s history. He was occasionally cantankerous and prone to arguments, but he was far more often a delight to read and someone with whom one could exchange spirited opinions. I salute you, ChiliD.
Old 03-23-2022, 06:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sometimes, he would say things in such a disdainful way, that I would be cracking up, even if I didn't agree with him or know enough to agree or disagree. Like when it came to Carlos Rios' guitar playing or Lindsey's abuse of guitars!

I think I first saw Chili on another FM site before I came to this one, FMLegacy. I remember you from there too, Tony.
Old 03-23-2022, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

RIP Steve D.
Old 03-23-2022, 07:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

His Pre-1975 knowledge of Fleetwood Mac was unparalleled. For me though it was our long conversations deconstructing and piecing back together Out of the Cradle which he adored at the apex of song-craft and production hierarchy.

02-23-2015, 02:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't really consider "Out of the Cradle" to have individual tracks...to me it's one MASTERPIECE of work, beginning to end (like "Smile" or "Sgt Pepper").

Last edited by John Run; 03-23-2022 at 08:38 PM..
Old 03-23-2022, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sorry to hear it .I so enjoyed his insights. R.I.P. Steve.

Old 03-23-2022, 09:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember struggling to put together a four-hour or so playlist that covered all the eras of the Mac in some kind of way that made sense of it all without doing it chronologically....I put out a request on the Ledge for suggestions and he put together a beautiful anthology of songs that flowed with mystery and elegance. I remember thinking before posting.."would ChiliD take the bait?". I was chuffed and honoured that he took the time to help out a very junior ledgie. Thank you Steve. I loved your posts, didn't always agree with them, but it mattered not a jot.
Old 03-23-2022, 09:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

RIP SteveD. Lots of great stories over the last 27 years, going back to the Fleetwood Mac newsgroup all the way through the Facebook Fleetwood Mac News page.

My favorite was the Eric Clapton show followed by how you were a Fleetwood Mac fan AND a Buckingham Nicks fan in 1973.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-23-2022, 11:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post

My favorite was the Eric Clapton show followed by how you were a Fleetwood Mac fan AND a Buckingham Nicks fan in 1973.
And how he was in the audience for the band’s 1974 Don Kirshner performance....