The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Behind the Mask: Side 1 or Side 2?
Side 1 15 88.24%
Side 2 2 11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-17-2021, 05:29 PM
Villavic's Avatar
Villavic Villavic is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Lima Peru
Posts: 3,144
Default Behind the Mask: Side 1 or Side 2?

Choose the one you most like

Side 1
1. "Skies the Limit" Christine McVie, Eddy Quintela C. McVie 3:45
2. "Love Is Dangerous" Rick Vito, Stevie Nicks Nicks, Vito 3:18
3. "In the Back of My Mind" Billy Burnette, David Malloy Burnette, Nicks, C. McVie 7:02
4. "Do You Know" Burnette, C. McVie Burnette, C. McVie 4:19
5. "Save Me" C. McVie, Quintela C. McVie 4:15
6. "Affairs of the Heart" Nicks Nicks 4:22
7. "When the Sun Goes Down" Vito, Burnette Burnette, Vito 3:18

Side 2
8. "Behind the Mask" C. McVie C. McVie 4:18
9. "Stand on the Rock" Vito Vito 3:59
10. "Hard Feelings" Burnette, Jeff Silbar Burnette 4:54
11. "Freedom" Nicks, Mike Campbell Nicks 4:12
12. "When It Comes to Love" Burnette, Dennis Morgan, Simon Climie Burnette, C. McVie 4:08
13. "The Second Time" Nicks, Vito Nicks 2:31
__________________
Reply With Quote
.
  #2  
Old 04-17-2021, 06:55 PM
bwboy bwboy is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,733
Default

No real contest for me. Even though I like most of the songs on side 2, I LOVE nearly all the songs on Side 1. Save Me, In the Back of My Mind, Do You Know, Love is Dangerous, and Skies the Limit are all sensational. That original sequencing is brilliant, too. We start off with the reassuring Christine McVie vocals on Skies the Limit, then the fun Love is Dangerous with Stevie and Rick, then the very different and far out In the Back of My Mind; then we return to Earth with Christine and Billy on Do You Know, then Save Me, Affairs of the Heart, and close with When the Sun Goes Down.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-17-2021, 07:54 PM
Street_Dreamer's Avatar
Street_Dreamer Street_Dreamer is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Eureka, CA
Posts: 741
Default

Even though The Second Time sucks on toast, side two has three of my all-time favorite Fleetwood Mac songs in When It Comes To Love, Freedom and Hard Feelings.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-17-2021, 08:43 PM
button-lip's Avatar
button-lip button-lip is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Argentina
Posts: 2,273
Default

I love Hard Feelings, but Side One is excellent from beginning to end.
__________________
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-18-2021, 05:24 PM
On Ice On Ice is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 523
Default

Side one is the strongest run of songs overall, but not including the title track and Freedom seems awkward, but even a few weaknesses are there on side one. That's why BTM is a glass half full album, even some great moments and weak moments on good to great songs. Stand on the Rock, Hard Feelings, When it comes to Love, Second Time and most of Affairs of the Heart are forgettable.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-19-2021, 12:49 AM
FuzzyPlum FuzzyPlum is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3,109
Default

Side 1

Overall I think the album has a bad running order. The idea of placing In the Back of My Mind in the middle of side 1 is crazy. Just as the album gets going its curtailed for several minutes while this song has the ridiculous intro. It means you cant properly get into the music. They'd have been better off putting that song as the side 2 opener.
Also, as somebody else said, Behind the Mask should have been on side 1...maybe even opening with it.
__________________

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-19-2021, 11:10 AM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere out in the back of your mind
Posts: 3,580
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Side 1

Overall I think the album has a bad running order. The idea of placing In the Back of My Mind in the middle of side 1 is crazy. Just as the album gets going its curtailed for several minutes while this song has the ridiculous intro. It means you cant properly get into the music. They'd have been better off putting that song as the side 2 opener.
Also, as somebody else said, Behind the Mask should have been on side 1...maybe even opening with it.
Behind the Mask was the original opener but after the album was finished the band felt the music was too dark. Christine usually writes lovey and peppy songs and the album opener Behind the Mask was dark then followed by in the Back of My Mind, etc. That forced Christine to write a very quick peppy song Skies the Limit and they slapped it first track on side one. It was an attempt to change the mood of the album by having a classic McVie peppy love song open the album.

IMHO In the Back of My Mind is fine at track 3 because its so unconventional. When I first played the album, I was like WTF is this? But of course it was so interesting and different and its one of the better songs on the album IMHO>

BTW, I also vote side 1 Its the full monty of Fleetwood Mac
__________________

Still I believe.....BACKSTABBING AND BETRAYAL will show us how
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-19-2021, 02:20 PM
FuzzyPlum FuzzyPlum is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3,109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Behind the Mask was the original opener but after the album was finished the band felt the music was too dark. Christine usually writes lovey and peppy songs and the album opener Behind the Mask was dark then followed by in the Back of My Mind, etc. That forced Christine to write a very quick peppy song Skies the Limit and they slapped it first track on side one. It was an attempt to change the mood of the album by having a classic McVie peppy love song open the album.

IMHO In the Back of My Mind is fine at track 3 because its so unconventional. When I first played the album, I was like WTF is this? But of course it was so interesting and different and its one of the better songs on the album IMHO>

BTW, I also vote side 1 Its the full monty of Fleetwood Mac
I recall Chris quickly wrote Skies the Limit as they felt they needed something a bit lighter. I didn't know Behind The Mask had already been slated as the opening track though. By the way, I do like In The Back of My Mind. For me its probably the best song on the album. I personally just don't get putting that ridiculous intro right in the middle of side 1....it just stops the flow of the album.
__________________

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-19-2021, 05:19 PM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere out in the back of your mind
Posts: 3,580
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I recall Chris quickly wrote Skies the Limit as they felt they needed something a bit lighter. I didn't know Behind The Mask had already been slated as the opening track though. By the way, I do like In The Back of My Mind. For me its probably the best song on the album. I personally just don't get putting that ridiculous intro right in the middle of side 1....it just stops the flow of the album.
Besides Tusk, the Rumours line up always opened their albums with an peppy song.
Monday Morning
Second Hand News
Over and Over - a bit somber but still a love song
Love In Store
Big Love
Skies the Limit

A few other tid bits that are interesting is that Stevie never had a song on track one on any album except for Angel on one of the Tusk sides. Stevie also was never given a lead off single either. The elephant in the room is that band/record company saw Stevie's star power and went out of their way to not promote the idea she was the lead singer of the band.
__________________

Still I believe.....BACKSTABBING AND BETRAYAL will show us how
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-27-2021, 11:47 PM
moon's Avatar
moon moon is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Argentina
Posts: 533
Default

I think When It Comes To Love is really good to be on Side 2. That song is simply great!! But it was not well accompanied, especially by that creepy final song closing the album...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

SIGNED Mick Fleetwood Mac Love that burns Deluxe Genesis Publications Book
$1239.76
SIGNED Mick Fleetwood Mac Love that burns Deluxe Genesis Publications Book pictureFleetwood Mac Signed Guitar Buckingham McVie Fleetwood Autographed Strat -Nicks
$1033.85
Fleetwood Mac Signed Guitar Buckingham McVie Fleetwood Autographed Strat -Nicks pictureMick Fleetwood Signed Fleetwood Mac Vinyl Beckett Authentication Services BAS
$838.77
Mick Fleetwood Signed Fleetwood Mac Vinyl Beckett Authentication Services BAS pictureRARE ORIGINAL THE BEATLES PHOTO GEORGE HARRISON FLEETWOOD MAC STEVIE NICKS 1977
$599.99
RARE ORIGINAL THE BEATLES PHOTO GEORGE HARRISON FLEETWOOD MAC STEVIE NICKS 1977 pictureFleetwood Mac Signed Guitar Lindsey Buckingham Autographed Strat. (Nicks, McVee)
$573.85
Fleetwood Mac Signed Guitar Lindsey Buckingham Autographed Strat. (Nicks, McVee) picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved