User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-25-2024, 07:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Thumbs up Rock Music Awards (1976)

Fleetwood Mac wins rock album of the year at the Rock Music Awards that aired in September 1976 (not 1975 as the video says). None of them are feeling any pain. They are on their phoenix rise to the top. To think their album went to #1 charting 3 radio singles by 1976. Warner stopped releasing singles because Rumours was coming out several months later. Rumours goes to the top of the charts and has 4 top 10 singles and wins a Grammy. Warner again stops releasing singles because the album is so popular its bleeding into their upcoming album Tusk. They are all millionaires here and they are young and punch drunk on their new fame and fortune. They beat out some top artists of the time. John, the quiet one speaks first and almost falls up the stairs

Does anyone know if Mick sold this award?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kzNhYnuhL4

Last edited by Macfan4life; 01-25-2024 at 07:47 AM..
Old 01-25-2024, 08:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It seems Lindsey was going to say something and Mick captured the microphone.

Mick remember this award in his book:

Later that month we participated in a nationally televised event, Don Kirschner's Rock Awards. The whole setup was very Hollywood, all glitter and hype, but we'd been on tour for months and I thought it would be ok for us to get a little public recognition. This event hit different people in different ways. After getting awards for Best Group and Best Album, we went to a party at some hotel and stayed about half an hour. In the limo on the way to the hotel, Chris looked at me in disbelief and asked, "Does this mean we're stars?" The question was so innocent and sweet, and so full of disbelief.
Old 01-25-2024, 08:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
It seems Lindsey was going to say something and Mick captured the microphone.

Mick remember this award in his book:

Later that month we participated in a nationally televised event, Don Kirschner's Rock Awards. The whole setup was very Hollywood, all glitter and hype, but we'd been on tour for months and I thought it would be ok for us to get a little public recognition. This event hit different people in different ways. After getting awards for Best Group and Best Album, we went to a party at some hotel and stayed about half an hour. In the limo on the way to the hotel, Chris looked at me in disbelief and asked, "Does this mean we're stars?" The question was so innocent and sweet, and so full of disbelief.
It really must have been a surreal moment. Chris, Mick and John were fairly well off but not soaking rich. To have them recognized like this must have been a dream. All of their hard work paying off. Lindsey and Stevie young and after being dropped from a record company now millionaires and full rock stars. They almost seem uncomfortable.
Old 01-25-2024, 08:50 AM

It was cool to hear Christine say "Warner Brothers", again!!
Old 01-25-2024, 09:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

September 1976 was also when the album finally reached number 1, so that was quite a month. It went to number one on September 4th, and this awards show was on September 18th. I think this helps to explain Christine's comments that imply being overwhelmed.
Old 01-25-2024, 09:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Fleetwood Mac wins rock album of the year at the Rock Music Awards that aired in September 1976 (not 1975 as the video says). None of them are feeling any pain. They are on their phoenix rise to the top. To think their album went to #1 charting 3 radio singles by 1976. Warner stopped releasing singles because Rumours was coming out several months later. Rumours goes to the top of the charts and has 4 top 10 singles and wins a Grammy. Warner again stops releasing singles because the album is so popular its bleeding into their upcoming album Tusk. They are all millionaires here and they are young and punch drunk on their new fame and fortune. They beat out some top artists of the time. John, the quiet one speaks first and almost falls up the stairs

Does anyone know if Mick sold this award?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kzNhYnuhL4
That's mick tripping on the stairs. John is walking a mile behind everyone. I love watching this old award footage...

"Does this mean we're stars?" So sweet. It must have been a mind-boggling time.

-Lis
Old 01-25-2024, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Emeritus View Post
That's mick tripping on the stairs. John is walking a mile behind everyone. I love watching this old award footage...

"Does this mean we're stars?" So sweet. It must have been a mind-boggling time.

-Lis
I think Christine wanted to wait for him before going up there. So cute!
Old 01-25-2024, 04:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is also when the relationships were running sour and they were breaking up. Stressful time but it created some incredible material. Hotel California was released in 3 months and was #1 in January 1977. Rumours would soon knock it from its #1 spot.
Old 01-25-2024, 04:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I think Christine wanted to wait for him before going up there. So cute!
yeah, she did seem to look back for him. they all look so adorable. I love how happy Lindsey looks going up there.

--Lis
Old 01-26-2024, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Emeritus View Post
yeah, she did seem to look back for him. they all look so adorable. I love how happy Lindsey looks going up there.

--Lis
Yes, FM and Lindsey were very symbiotic! Keith too for the White album.
Old 01-28-2024, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just found this picture that says "Rock Music Awards", with Stevie, Peter Frampton and Olivia. The only description I found says "Stevie Nicks, Peter Frampton, and Olivia Newton-John". No year mentioned but another pic I found of Peter & Olivia with same clothes, it says Rock Music Awards 1977.

Is that really Stevie? What award they received? I say they cause there was no Stevie solo album yet, so it must have been for Fleetwood Mac, but I don't see t he rest of the band. Is that 1977 Don Kirschner's Rock Awards ceremony?

Old 01-29-2024, 08:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It is the same award show. I actually watched it as a teenager. She accepted an award for Boz Scaggs I believe.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 01-29-2024, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
It is the same award show. I actually watched it as a teenager. She accepted an award for Boz Scaggs I believe.
She and Boz were best friends in the whole world.
Old 01-29-2024, 09:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
Oh, ok. But this time she left the sunglasses at the seat.
Old 01-29-2024, 09:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Interesting because Peter Frampton and Boz Scaggs both opened for her during her solo years. But does she remember?
I was floored that during the Hall of Fame induction of Linda Ronstadt that Stevie said she never sung any of Linda's songs before. She forgot that she sung Poor Poor Pitiful Me with Sharon in Hawaii when she performed in Sharon's show. How could you forget it was with one of Linda's songs that she met her lifetime friend and backup singer. It would have been a fantastic story to tell the Hall when she spoke. Yet she does not remember.

The photo looks weird to me. Stevie was not that heavy in 1976 and was very thin. I suppose the baggy clothes makes her look heavy.