Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-15-2021, 08:28 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default "In Your Dreams" album discussion Podcast

Check out the Phonogenics 101 "In Your Dreams" podcast - nearly 4 hours of discussion about Stevie Nicks' 2011 comeback!

https://youtu.be/FVEhlG8IKVI

I got so tired in the end I had to wrap things up - we didn't even talk about the documentary! Next time!

What songs did you like? What are your memories of this era?
Old 07-15-2021, 02:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I wasn’t tired

Thank you Jeremy for having me on your podcast again. I did referenced the In Your Dreams documentary several times. Next time we need to break the 4 hour barrier.
Old 07-15-2021, 07:59 PM
Senior Ledgie

Jim - it is true you referenced it a lot! I still should have given it its own section tho - maybe at the beginning of next month.
Old 07-15-2021, 11:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default In Your Dreams Documentary

I would be on board to discuss the documentary.
Old 07-16-2021, 07:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I watched the whole discussion which was often impassioned and had a lot of depth. This album is not my favourite at all, it is frustrating, frankly. I do love the lush complicated production and the (for the most part) good vocals, but all the co-writes and the song choices seem to drown Stevie somehow. Unlike the discussants, I do not really hear genuine feeling anywhere here. Maybe it ended up an exercise in songwriting and craft rather than a project with heart. I am first and foremost a fan of Stevie's ballads and there really isn't one here, and the endless mid-tempo stuff gets boring.

I also am against the grain on what cuts are good or not. FWIW has always irritated me, it has potential but man, the super bass vocals in combination with the weird bagpipe drone instrumentals drag it way way down. Moonlight is so much better live as a real emotive ballad than the overwrought disjointed thing that is on the album.

Several cuts like Soldier's Angel and You May Be the One try your patience by being wordy and dragging on forever. Annabelle Lee is beautifully done here but the song leaves me cold, why is she singing about her love, a female, why the hell did she chose that poem? Similarly, Italian Summer is lovely but the lyrics are the Italian weather forecast bellowed six times over. The guitar riff on Ghosts are Gone bugs the hell out of me, loud, insistent, in you face, and distorts the song into an irritant.

My favourite is last night's punching bag Everybody Loves You. Compelling lyrics and vocals, gorgeous guitar solo bridge, it gets closer to what I like than anything else here.
Old 07-18-2021, 06:10 PM
Ledgie

I agree with mitzo's post for the most part.
I like Italian summer, For what it's worth, and In your dreams.
To me there were some missed opportunities in Secret Love, Moonlight, and Annabel Lee, production-wise, because I think the songs were good, but not in its album form.
To me it's far from Trouble in Shangri-la, that was an album that really amazed me and enjoyed a lot.
Old 07-18-2021, 06:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Jeremy, I enjoyed your podcast as always. It’s fun to see how I agree or disagree with comments from your panel of fans. It made me watch the DVD reel today. Thanks….Rock on ……