User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-15-2005, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind

Of course not - they are not the Pres. of the US in an official act that is designed to insult and omit a certain sect of the population.

LOL - I don't even know why I'm arguing about this here....I believe what I believe and I hold those dear....

Though not a fan of the prez - I don't see his call to prayer as you see it above. I'm bowing out because nothing ever comes from these types of discussions except frustration and usually confusion (for me lol)...
Old 09-15-2005, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, then, why is it okay for the Pres. to be rude to these people. He would never do that to Christians would he? That is where I was coming from.
Honey, logic goes out the window when "God" comes into the fold.

Old 09-15-2005, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna
LOL - I don't even know why I'm arguing about this here....I believe what I believe and I hold those dear....

Though not a fan of the prez - I don't see his call to prayer as you see it above. I'm bowing out because nothing ever comes from these types of discussions except frustration and usually confusion (for me lol)...
I applaud you for taking a stand! Brava. I agree, my original post on this thread stated that I was going to not get involved in this topic, and look what I have done!
Old 09-15-2005, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwn_eyes0511
If, from that statement, you can somehow muster out "A non-Christian is not a good American"...then you can find anything!
I thought you were leaving this thread and that you didn't have time for any of this??
Old 09-15-2005, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Well, I think you are coming at it from the angle of people are attacking your beliefs, which they, or certainly I, am not. I, and I think they, are saying that the wording was purposefully meant to imply all Americans are Christians who pray to the Almighty God, which I think is wrong and insulting. It is not way has any effect on my own beliefs as a Christian. Again, if he had called people to pray and left it at that, it would have been better.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 09-15-2005, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tower
I thought you were leaving this thread and that you didn't have time for any of this??
Oh, Tower, where have you been. I have missed all those hateful posts directed at me! What's a conservative to do?

I am leaving now, and I have every intention of leaving at the beginning, but then SOMEONE had to start taunting me..."Typical of you..." That usually hits a nerve...but I just don't care anymore. So I am on my way out of this thread!

God Bless America...

but only those who believe in you, the others will get all huffy!
Old 09-15-2005, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Again, if he had called people to pray and left it at that, it would have been better.
Exactly. Blanco asked for prayers and she refrained from throwing "God" into the mix.

Old 09-15-2005, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
God Bless America...

but only those who believe in you, the others will get all huffy!
In case you hadn't heard...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...ck=1&cset=true

Atheist Gets Victory in 'Under God' Case
By DAVID KRAVETS
Associated Press Writer
Published September 15, 2005, 11:01 AM CDT

SAN FRANCISCO -- An atheist seeking to strike the words "under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance in public schools has won a major battle in his quest to force the U.S. Supreme Court to take up the issue again.

U.S. District Judge Lawrence Karlton sided with atheist Michael Newdow in ruling Wednesday that the pledge's reference to God violates the rights of children in three school districts to be "free from a coercive requirement to affirm God."

Karlton said he was bound by precedent of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, which in 2002 ruled in favor of Newdow that the pledge is unconstitutional when recited in public schools.

Old 09-15-2005, 02:09 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Well yes, he could have left it at "pray" - but his is Dubya we're talking about - I mean there is nothing surprising in his declaration...

But I mean - in general - I think there is a general consensus (probably not among radical right-wingers) that "almighty God" is all-encompassing...that it's all the same God - with different paths to get to him....
Thats the way I see it, really. I'm fairly spiritual myself, but not in a dogmatic or sectarian way. I dont see any religion as having a "different God", they just use a different name.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
No - I'm not saying that makes it ok - but what is going to be done about it? NOTHING! That's just who he is - we have three more years of it to deal with - it's what he believes - what are you gonna do?
What are you going to do??!? You have to call the President to task when he does something that is innapropriate for the leader of America to do. And what he said is wholly innapropriate. Just because he believes it, doesn't mean he should say it, because he is supposed to be the President of everyone in the country, not just Christian people. When someone does something wrong, you can't just say "oh, well, what can we do, that's just how they are" - and to do so for a president is especially ill advised.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -

Last edited by amber; 09-15-2005 at 02:44 PM..
Old 09-15-2005, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Hmmm....

Dubya REALLY pissed me off a few years ago right after 9/11 when he made the comment "....we are a Christian Nation...." I don't remember what speech he said it at and I was surprised people didn't make a big deal of it.....but it pissed me off.

".....We live in dark times and the ungodly sit on the thrones...."

She looks like a sweet little lamb from afar, but when you get close, you find out that she skinned and ate the darn thing just to use it as a coat. She's a beast.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Oh, Tower, where have you been. I have missed all those hateful posts directed at me! What's a conservative to do?

I am leaving now, and I have every intention of leaving at the beginning, but then SOMEONE had to start taunting me..."Typical of you..." That usually hits a nerve...but I just don't care anymore. So I am on my way out of this thread!
Good to know that you're grown up enough to resist being "taunted" by people. Good show!

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out....
Old 09-15-2005, 03:12 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Great post. I agree, prayer is actually the most powerful thing that any of us as humans can ever do. To have that connection to the divine....powerful.

Disclaimer: The above observation on prayer was not intended for liberal atheist but only to those who believe in God.
Why use the qualifier 'liberal' if not to goad? I happen to agree with your opinion of prayer, but quite honestly I've not seen a group of less Godly people than those running our country today. The mere fact that they would have the audacity to use "God" to manipulate people says it all. And Yes, I am Christian, and I do pray to Almighty God.

Kelly

Last edited by SomeKindaMother; 09-15-2005 at 03:19 PM..
Old 09-15-2005, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
In case you hadn't heard...
Ya know- this whole "under god" bull**** in the pledge of allegiance is such a no-brainer I can't even believe that it is up for debate anymore.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tower
Ya know- this whole "under god" bull**** in the pledge of allegiance is such a no-brainer I can't even believe that it is up for debate anymore.
It flows just fine as, "one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all", even if its a crock!