The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-22-2022, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

MacFan you sum up the RAL period nicely. I describe it as my pivotal "in hindsight" reflection on my Idol's career and where I took off the Blue Denim glasses and saw her in a new and different light. Although there are some flourishes throughout RAL where it could've been great, as a cohesive unit album it is a stinker- mostly because of her ragged vocals and poor song selection and development. I can't understand, at all, how anyone can say this is her best album. It has the feeling of putting lipstick on a pig- I recall a reviewer when it just came out said it was like she slapped that 1985 sound on her music and it just doesn't work- I was in shock that he said this because of course, everything she did was a classic and she could do no wrong. You are right about the treasure chest of great material she had at her disposal, but even Jimmy Iovine bailed on the disaster she was quickly becoming. How awful it must have been to be around her. At least even she neglects most of the album now and except HAEWAFY nothing has made it to a set list in decades and that is not a bad thing.
Old 03-22-2022, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I forgot to add besides the Timespace songs, I think Stevie did a great job on Maybe Love Will Change Your Mind. It just sounds so authentic for her the way that she sings it. Its a rare song written by someone else that I like how she sings it.
Old 03-22-2022, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
I can't understand, at all, how anyone can say this is her best album. It has the feeling of putting lipstick on a pig- I recall a reviewer when it just came out said it was like she slapped that 1985 sound on her music and it just doesn't work-

At least even she neglects most of the album now and except HAEWAFY nothing has made it to a set list in decades and that is not a bad thing.
It may have been a pig but what can I say- I love bacon!

Seriously though, I see your points, but people who love RAL may do so because it was their first exposure to her music, or maybe they didn’t care for Bella Donna or Wild Heart because they were more rock oriented, while RAL is more pop oriented.

I think Talk to Me, I Can’t Wait, and If I Were You would be great additions to her set, along with Rooms on Fire, but she chooses to ignore them for whatever reasons. I Can’t Wait, I know she said in the past was too hard to perform live, and it probably is really challenging to perform live, but she was so high on the tour she did perform the song, I figure that was the reason it was so hard for her. Sober, I bet she would do it great.
Old 03-22-2022, 10:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
It may have been a pig but what can I say- I love bacon!

Seriously though, I see your points, but people who love RAL may do so because it was their first exposure to her music, or maybe they didn’t care for Bella Donna or Wild Heart because they were more rock oriented, while RAL is more pop oriented.

I think Talk to Me, I Can’t Wait, and If I Were You would be great additions to her set, along with Rooms on Fire, but she chooses to ignore them for whatever reasons. I Can’t Wait, I know she said in the past was too hard to perform live, and it probably is really challenging to perform live, but she was so high on the tour she did perform the song, I figure that was the reason it was so hard for her. Sober, I bet she would do it great.
The only people I can imagine not liking Bella Donna are disco queens, who can't appreciate the fact that it's (country ish sometimes) CLASSIC ROCK sound is the REASON that it's still revered today.

It's a F*CKING CLASSIC because of that sound. That's why people love and respect it to this day, 42 years after it's release.

No one feels that way about OSOTM. Well, no one with taste!
Old 04-24-2022, 11:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Two things- has anyone else been struck by the similarities between Lindsey and 21 Pilots? I’ve been enjoying Level of Concern and Saturday by 21 Pilots, and they sure seem like something Lindsey could have recorded.

Second, I know Lindsey and his music has inspired people, which is why I wish he would sing songs written by other people. The Killers and Halsey have included him in their music, now I wish he would include others in his music. Considering how well Lindsey sang Crystal and Blue Letter, wouldn’t it stand to reason he would do just as well occasionally singing other people’s songs? Not necessarily 12 songs worth, but how about 3 or 4?
Old 04-24-2022, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Two things- has anyone else been struck by the similarities between Lindsey and 21 Pilots? I’ve been enjoying Level of Concern and Saturday by 21 Pilots, and they sure seem like something Lindsey could have recorded.

Second, I know Lindsey and his music has inspired people, which is why I wish he would sing songs written by other people. The Killers and Halsey have included him in their music, now I wish he would include others in his music. Considering how well Lindsey sang Crystal and Blue Letter, wouldn’t it stand to reason he would do just as well occasionally singing other people’s songs? Not necessarily 12 songs worth, but how about 3 or 4?
Covers by LB (he took co-songwriting credit on Stars Are Crazy, Shut Us Down and Swan Song):
September Song - L&O
A Satisfied Mind - L&O
It Was I - L&O
Django - BN
Blue Monday - Mirage Outtakes
Cool Water - B-side
Teen Beat - FM 25 Years
All My Sorrows - OOTC
This Nearly Was Mine - OOTC
Say We’ll Meet Again - OOTC
Love Minus Zero/No Limit - SYW Deluxe
I Am Waiting - UTS
To Try For The Sun - UTS
Gotta Get Away - GOS Demo
Blue Turns To Gray - GOS Demo
She Smiled Sweetly - GOS Demo/SWS
Singer Not The Song - GOS Demo
Blue Letter - FM
Farmers Daughter - FM Live
Big Yellow Taxi - unreleased
Shut Us Down - Elizabethtown Soundtrack
Here Comes The Sun - Live TV show
Louie Louie - live radio show
Stars Are Crazy -SWS
Swan Song - LB
Time - LB
Old 04-24-2022, 12:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbfan View Post
Covers by LB (he took co-songwriting credit on Stars Are Crazy, Shut Us Down and Swan Song):
September Song - L&O
A Satisfied Mind - L&O
It Was I - L&O
Django - BN
Blue Monday - Mirage Outtakes
Cool Water - B-side
Teen Beat - FM 25 Years
All My Sorrows - OOTC
This Nearly Was Mine - OOTC
Say We’ll Meet Again - OOTC
Love Minus Zero/No Limit - SYW Deluxe
I Am Waiting - UTS
To Try For The Sun - UTS
Gotta Get Away - GOS Demo
Blue Turns To Gray - GOS Demo
She Smiled Sweetly - GOS Demo/SWS
Singer Not The Song - GOS Demo
Blue Letter - FM
Farmers Daughter - FM Live
Big Yellow Taxi - unreleased
Shut Us Down - Elizabethtown Soundtrack
Here Comes The Sun - Live TV show
Louie Louie - live radio show
Stars Are Crazy -SWS
Swan Song - LB
Time - LB
also Unreleased The Singer Not The Song, and of course Deep Dense (cowrite)

i was just listening in the car to some of these on my way driving back from LB's Kent show, and To Try For The Sun is such as spectacular and typical LB cover - as is Love Minus Zero.

he does really well covering some relatively obscure songs he likes.

i so wish he'd do TTFTS live, but i guess no chance of getting any requests any more. he's now too old and set in his ways. we can just be grateful he still wants to be out there putting on a great show, but unfortunately the days of anything unexpected are gone now.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-24-2022, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question Shows

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
also Unreleased The Singer Not The Song, and of course Deep Dense (cowrite)

i was just listening in the car to some of these on my way driving back from LB's Kent show, and To Try For The Sun is such as spectacular and typical LB cover - as is Love Minus Zero.

he does really well covering some relatively obscure songs he likes.

i so wish he'd do TTFTS live, but i guess no chance of getting any requests any more. he's now too old and set in his ways. we can just be grateful he still wants to be out there putting on a great show, but unfortunately the days of anything unexpected are gone now.
Lindsey hasn’t done many impromptu songs. During the OOTC radio circuit, he would occasionally play one at the request of the DJ/host. I used to hand write Rock Away Blind at the bottom of his setlist, and he played it a few times. He addressed this during a spoken interview that he treats the shows like Broadway productions, well rehearsed, even down to the spoken segments. I agree with you that he could easily substitute some “deep cuts” for some of the lesser known songs for the ardent fans. Finally saw ensemble version of Soul Drifter, he could easily substitute Countdown. I also would love to see TTFTS, Walk A Thin Line, Rock Away Blind with the full outro, ensemble Big Love, and I think Johnny Stew would be incredible in a live setting. During a Meet and Greet (pre-pandemic), I mentioned that the acoustic Big Love was over 25 years old, and that he should challenge himself to come up with additional live renditions of classic favorites, but I don’t think he will ever change.
Old 04-24-2022, 06:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

lbfan, thank you so much for that comprehensive list. I didn’t realize how often Lindsey had recorded songs written by other people. I mean, those are a lot of songs! I appreciate you took the time to do that, thank you.
Old 04-24-2022, 08:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
Although there are some flourishes throughout RAL where it could've been great, as a cohesive unit album it is a stinker- mostly because of her ragged vocals and poor song selection and development. I can't understand, at all, how anyone can say this is her best album. It has the feeling of putting lipstick on a pig.
Oink-A-Little

Go Ahead, Piggy!
Old 04-24-2022, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

muppet-mac

Fleetwood Muppet
Old 04-25-2022, 01:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Oink-A-Little

Go Ahead, Piggy!
Straight Back(into my archives). Thank you!