Exclamation Fleetwood Mac - December 6,1979 - Inglewood, CA torrent

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-d....php?id=726905

Fleetwood Mac
The Forum
Inglewood, CA
December 6, 1979
Mike Millard First Generation Tapes via JEMS
The Lost and Found Mike the MICrophone Tapes Volume 129

Recording Gear: AKG 451E Microphones (CK-1 cardioid capsules) > Nakamichi 550 Cassette Recorder

Transfer: Mike Millard First-Generation Cassettes made for Jim R > Nakamichi CR-7A (azimuth adjustment) > Sound Devices USBPre 2 > Audacity 2.0 capture 2496 > iZotope RX8 > iZotope Ozone 8 > MBIT+ resample to 1644 > Audacity > TLH > FLAC

01 Say You Love Me
02 The Chain
03 Don't Stop
04 Dreams
05 Oh Well
06 Rhiannon
07 Oh Daddy
08 What Makes You Think You're The One
09 Sara
10 Not That Funny
11 Save Me A Place
12 Landslide
13 Tusk (with the USC Marching Band)
14 Angel
15 You Make Loving Fun
16 I'm So Afraid
17 World Turning
18 Blue Letter
19 Go Your Own Way
20 Sisters Of The Moon
21 Second Hand News
22 Songbird

Known Faults:
-You Make Loving Fun: end cut

Introduction to the Lost and Found Mike the MICrophone Series

Welcome to JEMS’ Lost and Found Mike the MICrophone series presenting recordings made by legendary taper Mike Millard, AKA Mike The Mike, best known for his masters of Led Zeppelin done in and around Los Angeles circa 1975-77. For the complete details on how tapes in this series came to be lost and found again, as well as JEMS' long history with Mike Millard, please refer to the notes in Vol. One: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-d....php?id=500680.

Until 2020, the Lost and Found series presented fresh transfers of previously unavailable first-generation copies made by Mike himself for friends like Stan Gutoski of JEMS, Jim R, Bill C. and Barry G. These sources were upgrades to circulating copies and in most instances marked the only time verified first generation Millard sources had been directly digitized in the torrent era.

That all changed with the discovery of many of Mike Millard’s original master tapes.

Yes, you read that correctly, Mike Millard’s master cassettes, long rumored to be destroyed or lost, have been found. Not all of them but many, and with them a much more complete picture has emerged of what Millard recorded between his first show in late 1973 and his last in early 1993.

The reason the rediscovery of his master tapes is such a revelation is that we’ve been told for decades they were gone. Internet myths suggest Millard destroyed his master tapes before taking his own life, an imprudent detail likely concocted based on the assumption that because his master tapes never surfaced and Mike’s mental state was troubled he would do something rash WITH HIS LIFE’S WORK. There’s also a version of the story where Mike’s family dumps the tapes after he dies. Why would they do that?

The truth is Mike’s masters remained in his bedroom for many years after his death in 1994. We know at least a few of Millard’s friends and acquaintances contacted his mother Lia inquiring about the tapes at the time to no avail. But in the early 2000s, longtime Millard friend Rob S was the one she knew and trusted enough to preserve Mike’s work.

The full back story on how Mike’s master tapes were saved can be found in the notes for Vol. 18 Pink Floyd, which was the first release in our series transferred from Millard’s original master tapes:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-d...d=667745&hit=1
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-d...d=667750&hit=1

Fleetwood Mac, The Forum, Inglewood, CA, December 6, 1979

It doesn't get more quintessentially Southern California, rock 'n' roll, 1970s concert scene than Fleetwood Mac at the Fabulous Forum. As the decade came to a close, the Mac returned to the Forum for five sold-out, high-demand shows in support of Tusk, released earlier in the year.

The setlist for the show was built on a generous scoop of that double-album, plus a heaping dip from 1977's mega smash Rumours and five from 1975's self-titled LP. While it was Rumours that made them one of if not the biggest band in America, Tusk was the peak of their touring success. Fleetwood Mac played The Forum three nights in 1977 and surely could have sold out more than five nights in 1979. That being said, the 1979-80 Tusk tour famously took a toll on the band from which they struggled to recover.

Mike recorded Fleetwood Mac once at the Forum during that 1977 stand (Vol. 21 in the Lost and Found series) and also captured the final show of the Tusk tour at the Hollywood Bowl on September 1, 1980 (Vol. 80). To my ears, Millard's 1979 recording stands as his best Fleetwood Mac pull and makes a welcome addition to the canon. It is exceptionally clear and close, with a bit more audience noise than we're used to, but who can blame the Forum crowd for being extra excited? Samples provided.

Tusk is usually considered Lindsey Buckingham's record and he takes centerstage in the set, though Christine McVie and Stevie Nicks have wonderful moments. The are reports online that Nicks was ailing and didn't participate in the entire show. She's clearly there for the whole set, through her last big vocal moment of the night on "Sisters Of The Moon." But early on she does sing in a lower vocal register and as a result, the versions of "Dreams" and "Rhiannon" feel like distinctive interpretations. It's understandable that there could be a hint of tiredness from a third show in three nights, 26 shows into the tour, but whatever momentary lulls are washed away in what is otherwise a fine performance.

And if they needed a jolt of energy, for all five shows of The Forum run, Fleetwood Mac brought out the USC Marching Band to reprise their part on the song "Tusk." You'll hear them loud and clear on Mike's capture.

Here's what Jim R recalled about seeing Fleetwood Mac at The Forum in December 1979:

Mike and I went to the Fleetwood Mac concert at The Forum on December 6, 1979. We were big Fleetwood Mac fans, so we tried to attend as many of their concerts as possible.

The show was part of the Tusk Tour and "The Mac" were near the peak of their popularity. They appealed to the more well-heeled demographic in addition to the regular rock 'n' roll folks. What I'm trying to say is: the ticket prices were $$$, way up there.

To secure our fifth row seats, Mike turned to fellow Fleetwood Mac fan and longtime scalper-ally Graham. He gave us a deal on our tickets in exchange for a copy of Mike's tape. Graham was well connected and always had great seats, but his prices were sky high. Mike often referred to Graham as "The Scalper's Scalper." Graham liked this nickname.

The December show was the third of three consecutive nights at The Forum, then they dashed down to San Diego for a show, then back to The Forum for two more nights. Five in total. The dates came towards the end of the first leg of the Tusk tour. Keep in mind Mike and I also caught the final night of the tour on Sept, 1, 1980 at the Hollywood Bowl, which wrapped the third leg.

We sat in Section C, Row 5, Seats 5-6. This put us in the middle of Section C which provided camouflage while still maintaining good line of sight to the stage monitors and the PA, and hence optimal microphone positioning.

Graham had several security guards on his "payroll," so we used one of them to get us into the building with Mike's equipment via a side door. Graham always had a big wad of cash on him to grease the rails.

The Forum adopted a strict "No Cameras" policy, so the few photos I was able to take were shot hastily and as a result aren't as sharp as I would like, but still capture the atmosphere. The same "No Cameras" signs also said "No Recorders," but we of course ignored that.

I hope you enjoy this one as much as Mike and I did.

Cheers to my buddy Mike. RIP.

###

JEMS is proud to partner with Rob, Jim R, Ed F, Barry G and many others to release Millard's historic recordings and to help set the record straight about the man himself.

We can't thank Rob enough for reconnecting with Jim and putting his trust in our Millard reissue campaign. He kept Mike's precious tapes under wraps for two decades, but once Rob learned of our methods and stewardship, he agreed to contribute the Millard DATs and cassettes to the program. Our releases would not be nearly as compelling without Jim's memories, photos and other background contributions. As many of you have noted, the stories offer an entertaining complement to Mike's incredible audio documents.

This Fleetwood Mac show was one of the first Millard-made copies Jim shared with me when we met and as such represents, as Bogart says at the end of Casablanca, the beginning of a beautiful friendship. As always, Professor Goody weighed in on pitch adjustments and the esteemed mjk5510 handled post production and artwork.

Finally, here's to the late, great Mike the MICrophone. His work never ceases to impress. May he rest in peace.

BK for JEMS

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 03-20-2022, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the heads up! Here’s the show on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/cZJxAYDgGpk
Old 03-20-2022, 03:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougl View Post

AWESOME. And no torrenting. THANKS!
Old 03-20-2022, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Thank you for posting this~!!
Old 03-20-2022, 11:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow...listening to that Rhiannon really makes you wish you could see it. Does anyone know: has this show been available before or is this the first time we're hearing it? The sound is great!
Old 03-20-2022, 11:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok I just finished listening to it...they were on f*cking fire that night! Damn, this makes me forget all the nonsense of the last several years and remember why I love them. Even songs I'm usually ho--hum about, like World Turning, were on fire.
Ricoh
Old 03-21-2022, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricohv View Post
Wow...listening to that Rhiannon really makes you wish you could see it. Does anyone know: has this show been available before or is this the first time we're hearing it? The sound is great!
It has been out there for many years but only in bad quality. That's what makes this version a gem.
Old 03-21-2022, 03:27 PM

Quote:

You're my favorite poster as of late!! Thank you.

Thank you so much (Stevie voice).
Old 03-21-2022, 09:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Was not at this show but saw them a couple of days later in San Diego..still my favorite Fleetwood Mac show.

Old 03-21-2022, 11:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
It has been out there for many years but only in bad quality. That's what makes this version a gem.
Thanks Viv, I'm just not as knowledgeable about bootleg shows as I used to be back in the stone ages of trading shows etc.
YESSSS the quality is great!
Old 03-22-2022, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Was not at this show but saw them a couple of days later in San Diego..still my favorite Fleetwood Mac show.
A cool little story of memory is wanted. Love to hear about your experience, where you sat, what blew you away, etc.
Old 03-22-2022, 10:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
A cool little story of memory is wanted. Love to hear about your experience, where you sat, what blew you away, etc.
I was a high school kid and it was kind of strange looking back as huge of a fan as I was that I did not try to get a ticket until the day of the show. Just a few weeks before I had waited over night at the same venue to get tickets for my other all time favorite band ABBA ( I think I somehow knew that they would never tour again. I was correct.)Some twentysomething guys down the street were going and I asked if I could tag along and bought a ticket at the Sports Arena box office the night of the show .(Fleetwood Mac were then rather notoriously not selling out all venues due to the backlash from Tusk)I was to the right of the stage and a couple levels up .Not bad seats really considering.My focus was very Stevie centric then. She really seemed like a goddess in at that age and in that more innocent time . The entire place reeked of weed and I'm sure I got a contact hight just by breathing. I got the chills when the band fisrt appeared in the haze .It just seemed like they were at the top of their game as a touring act then and their artistic peak as well IMO. I remember Lindsey flailing around in his grey suit and how enthusiastic he seemed about playling the Tusk songs. I was mesmerized by Sisters of the Moon and loved watching Stevie doing the Charleston at the end of Angel.I also loved watching her run and jump up into the arms of a big guy on the side of the stage I think he was a roadie or security. At the end Songbird seemed so moving and poignant. It was the very end of the 1970s and really the end of an era looking back now.I think it was my favorite Fleetwood Mac concert since everyone still seemed to have the energy of youth and a creative drive and didn't need a bunch of supporting musicians and backround singers to put on a dynamic show.Probably the best $12.50 that I have ever spent.

Last edited by BombaySapphire3; 03-22-2022 at 10:28 PM..
Old 03-23-2022, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
I was a high school kid and it was kind of strange looking back as huge of a fan as I was that I did not try to get a ticket until the day of the show. Just a few weeks before I had waited over night at the same venue to get tickets for my other all time favorite band ABBA ( I think I somehow knew that they would never tour again. I was correct.)Some twentysomething guys down the street were going and I asked if I could tag along and bought a ticket at the Sports Arena box office the night of the show .(Fleetwood Mac were then rather notoriously not selling out all venues due to the backlash from Tusk)I was to the right of the stage and a couple levels up .Not bad seats really considering.My focus was very Stevie centric then. She really seemed like a goddess in at that age and in that more innocent time . The entire place reeked of weed and I'm sure I got a contact hight just by breathing. I got the chills when the band fisrt appeared in the haze .It just seemed like they were at the top of their game as a touring act then and their artistic peak as well IMO. I remember Lindsey flailing around in his grey suit and how enthusiastic he seemed about playling the Tusk songs. I was mesmerized by Sisters of the Moon and loved watching Stevie doing the Charleston at the end of Angel.I also loved watching her run and jump up into the arms of a big guy on the side of the stage I think he was a roadie or security. At the end Songbird seemed so moving and poignant. It was the very end of the 1970s and really the end of an era looking back now.I think it was my favorite Fleetwood Mac concert since everyone still seemed to have the energy of youth and a creative drive and didn't need a bunch of supporting musicians and backround singers to put on a dynamic show.Probably the best $12.50 that I have ever spent.
Wow! That's a really good memory. If only. we could go back and watch all the shows we attended.
Old 03-23-2022, 09:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Wow! That's a really good memory. If only. we could go back and watch all the shows we attended.
5th row center for Mirage. With my best friends. At the height of my fandom. TORTURING my friends with my fandom. I'd give ANYTHING to relive that night.
Old 03-25-2022, 07:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

So glad we still are getting gems like this released all of these years later. I believe I've heard pieces of this show before in much worse quality but I'm also learning new things - for example, I NEVER knew they played Second Hand News at all on the Tusk Tour. I just (wrongly) assumed the encore was always some combination of Sisters, Blue Letter, and Songbird...and maybe just Sisters and Songbird later on.