User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-12-2022, 09:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
and then of course she and LB kept acting out those same emotions throughout the rest of their tours. she really should have done it with Finn. i bet it wouldn't change her longstanding act, like it didn't on the other songs.
The classics like Silver Springs, Sara, Songbird, Over My Head were missed by me at the last tour. But I'm a believer in that they should've only played '75 on songs (including BTM songs) because Stevie wasn't on the Green, Kirwan, and Welch stuff. But I know there are fans who wanted the blues rock played. I wasn't happy when they did Oh Well in 2009.

Certainly Crystal, Love is Dangerous, and Freedom would've been more appropriate to sing rather than Don't Dream It's Over, I Got You and Free Falling.
Old 02-12-2022, 10:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
In Fleetwood Mac terms, it is.

The studio track exemplifies Fleetwood Mac's strengths with orchestration. And it has a quality that a lot of other top-notch examples of orchestration on Mac albums don't have: real heart instead of sonic puzzles and showmanship. Maybe that's why the studio track doesn't interest some listeners. When you listen to the shimmer and sparkle on other tracks, the arrangement of the instruments feels like a conscious demonstration of the technology in the building, Lindsey's serendipitous cleverness, and the expertise of the engineers. But Silver Springs feels totally committed to an expressive need to convey something that has profoundly shaken its songwriter. (Not in ten thousand years would any of Stevie's solo studio bands have built anything this complex and emotionally subdued around a song of hers.) That beauty is like a documentary of the moods in the room at Sausalito. The interplay of instruments -- like Japanese wind chimes -- feels like nature. What these musicians in their late 20s and early 30s did in 1976 with Silver Springs is the equal of the "feel" Peter, Jeremy, Mick, John, and Danny achieved with their greatest work in 1968 and '69.

Both Danny and Lindsey were devoted to the music of Django Reinhardt, and maybe there's a little Django in their best studio work.
I agree with you regarding the quality of the orchestration. There are some quality moments in the backing track. But for me, the main problem with SS in its original form is Stevie Nicks. Her vocal doesn’t command the song. Her singing sounds a bit like scratch vocals for another more confident singer to work from. Before its 1997 reemergence I used to find the song “pleasant” but “transitional” because she couldn’t manage the right vocal attack. All of that changed in 1997 when her voice wrapped perfectly around the melody.
Old 02-12-2022, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I agree with you regarding the quality of the orchestration. There are some quality moments in the backing track. But for me, the main problem with SS in its original form is Stevie Nicks. Her vocal doesn’t command the song. Her singing sounds a bit like scratch vocals for another more confident singer to work from. Before its 1997 reemergence I used to find the song “pleasant” but “transitional” because she couldn’t manage the right vocal attack. All of that changed in 1997 when her voice wrapped perfectly around the melody.
I totally got the same feeling. Stevie took command of SS in 1997 and her vocal brought out the power of the song. However, the fragility of her voice and singing from the 1977 studio version creates a very vulnerable singer and vocal.
When I heard the 1997 version live, I instantly liked it and immediately thought it was better because her vocal was standing up to this guy. It brought the song to another level. But after all these years, the studio musical track and vocal beats out the Dance. I think we were all under the Dance spell (or maybe just me). I love the vulnerability of her vocal. Its very similar to Sara. The studio track wanders and her vocal shows vulnerability. However Sara live takes the song to new levels. Its powerful. I suppose each is good for their own reasons. But if someone put a gun to my head and said, PICK. I would pick the studio track.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 02-12-2022 at 11:22 AM..
Old 02-12-2022, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
The classics like Silver Springs, Sara, Songbird, Over My Head were missed by me at the last tour. But I'm a believer in that they should've only played '75 on songs (including BTM songs) because Stevie wasn't on the Green, Kirwan, and Welch stuff. But I know there are fans who wanted the blues rock played. I wasn't happy when they did Oh Well in 2009.

Certainly Crystal, Love is Dangerous, and Freedom would've been more appropriate to sing rather than Don't Dream It's Over, I Got You and Free Falling.
Oh man, I love your thinking here! Although I have to admit, I had no problem with Don’t Dream It’s Over and Free Falling being performed. But Crystal, Love is Dangerous, and Freedom would have been awesome. I Don’t Want to Know, also. And instead of All Over Again (which I enjoyed), As Long As You Follow would have been the ultimate for me.
Old 02-12-2022, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Oh man, I love your thinking here! Although I have to admit, I had no problem with Don’t Dream It’s Over and Free Falling being performed. But Crystal, Love is Dangerous, and Freedom would have been awesome. I Don’t Want to Know, also. And instead of All Over Again (which I enjoyed), As Long As You Follow would have been the ultimate for me.
I think if you're proud of your own work, you play it for an audience! I would have loved to have heard Save Me, Skies the Limit, No Questions Asked over the pre-75 stuff.
Love is Dangerous would've been great with Neil. But BTM wasn't touched.
Don't Dream, I Got You, and Free Falling shouldn't have been in a Fleetwood Mac 50 Years set. They may as well have done Super Freak, If I Can't Have You, and Night Fever if they weren't going to do FM songs.

Sorry but I don't like All Over Again, it dragged for me and it was tacky that the lyrics were on the screen. Warm Ways would've been a perfect closer.
Old 02-12-2022, 12:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think if you're proud of your own work, you play it for an audience! I would have loved to have heard Save Me, Skies the Limit, No Questions Asked over the pre-75 stuff.
Don't Dream, I Got You, and Free Falling shouldn't have been in a Fleetwood Mac 50 Years set. They may as well have done Super Freak, If I Can't Have You, and Night Fever if they weren't going to do FM songs.

Sorry but I don't like All Over Again, it dragged for me and it was tacky that the lyrics were on the screen. Warm Ways would've been a perfect closer.
Anything from the BTM lineup would have filled me with so much joy! That’s why I hope there’s still a chance BTM will get the Deluxe treatment.

Super Freak performed by Christine might have rocked LOL! If I Can’t Have You by Mike? Priceless! LOL
Old 02-12-2022, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Could that be because they ignored inviting Billy and Rick back, after $tevie got Lindsey fired? Billy was PISSED about not being invited back into the band.
Old 02-12-2022, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Could that be because they ignored inviting Billy and Rick back, after $tevie got Lindsey fired? Billy was PISSED about not being invited back into the band.
I didn't think of that. But Billy does sing on the chorus of All Over Again though, right?

I add that there aren't any Billy or Rick songs on the 50 Years compilation which is not right. Yet they have Peacekeeper, SYW, and Sad Angel on it.

Last edited by UnwindedDreams; 02-12-2022 at 01:16 PM..
Old 02-12-2022, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default more Mick talk...

Mick Fleetwood Opens Up About Lindsey Buckingham And Stevie Nicks’ Current Relationship
Su Yeniocak
February 12, 20222 mins read

Fleetwood Mac co-founder Mick Fleetwood recently mentioned the complicated relationships between Fleetwood Mac members Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham. Touching upon the relationship that has become a spider web, he wished to have resolved everything.

The drummer Mick Fleetwood formed Fleetwood Mac in 1967 with the guitarists Peter Green and Jeremy Spencer. The band went through a few lineup changes, but their career took a successful turn after the folk-duo Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham joined in 1974 as an inseparable couple. Fleetwood Mac earned their places on the top of the charts with their new pop-rock hit songs.

Their personal relationships were as dramatic as they were successful. Joining as a romantic couple, Buckingham and Nicks went through an awkward and tense phase after their breakup. However, they were still able to work together as ex-partners for Fleetwood Mac. In fact, their separation even inspired them to create hit songs, often targeting each other.

Nonetheless, in 2018, Stevie Nicks expressed that she couldn’t bear Buckingham and his mocking attitude anymore. She gave the band the ultimatum saying that either Buckingham leaves or Nicks will. The band took Nicks’ side and fired Buckingham on the grounds that Nicks doesn’t want to appear on stage with him ever again. Even though Buckingham went back to his solo career afterward, the tensions were not completely resolved, which according to Mick Fleetwood, was upsetting.

Here is what Mick Fleetwood said about Nicks and Buckingham:

“I’ll just say it… Stevie and Lindsey, I don’t think certainly, are resolved fully, and I wish they were, I visualize those moments as the years trickle by somehow. But I truly, somewhat sadly think that that will go into the rainbow somewhere and never really change. But there you go.”

Buckingham and Nicks’ relationship ended in 1977, but they continued to work together. The tensions started to build up after Nicks fell in love with Mick Fleetwood and Buckingham got uncomfortable. In 1987, Buckingham quit Fleetwood Mac later to reunite, because he wanted a break from his ex-girlfriend and to focus on his solo work.

https://rockcelebrities.net/mick-fle...-relationship/

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-12-2022, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I take issue with the line "the band took Nick's side and fired Buckingham".

It should read: "the band was blackmailed by Nick's efforts to cast out and fire Buckingham before going on tour. Nicks is a huge draw for "Fleetwood Mac fans" The band members went along with Nicks's ultimatum to secure lucrative tour proceeds.

Sorry I've always been a stickler for correcting the record
Old 02-12-2022, 02:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I take issue with the line "the band took Nick's side and fired Buckingham".

It should read: "the band was blackmailed by Nick's efforts to cast out and fire Buckingham before going on tour. Nicks is a huge draw for "Fleetwood Mac fans" The band members went along with Nicks's ultimatum to secure lucrative tour proceeds.

Sorry I've always been a stickler for correcting the record
i have a possible correction to your correction

band members were blackmailed by managers/promoters to take Nicks' side or be fired themselves.

Nicks plus a mishmash of random players would become new "Fleetwood Mac" jukebox band similarly to other oldies under the same management.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-12-2022, 03:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You couldn't have the band bring in new players, especially ones so prominent in their own right, and not honor their work before FM in any way. It's exactly like when S&L joined, FM did Buckingham Nicks stuff like Don't Let Me Down Again live which, if I were a fan from the Welch or even Green days I'd think, "wtf are we playing that crap at a FM show??" And one could argue none of the BuckNicks songs were ever Top40 hits like Don't Dream It's Over or anything Mike would have written for the Heartbreakers. So while Mike and Neil's songs aren't part of the FM past, they were part of the FM present at that time. You can't bring people into a band and tell them nothing they've done prior to joining is worthy-- Chris/Mick/John didn't do that to unknowns like Stevie and Lindsey....and they certainly aren't going to do it to established people like Mike and Neil. And from a marketing standpoint, what's the value in alienating fans those two might bring to FM shows?? ka-ching.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 02-12-2022 at 03:06 PM..
Old 02-12-2022, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
You couldn't have the band bring in new players, especially ones so prominent in their own right, and not honor their work before FM in any way. It's exactly like when S&L joined, FM did Buckingham Nicks stuff like Don't Let Me Down Again live which, if I were a fan from the Welch or even Green days I'd think, "wtf are we playing that crap at a FM show??" And one could argue none of the BuckNicks songs were ever Top40 hits like Don't Dream It's Over or anything Mike would have written for the Heartbreakers. So while Mike and Neil's songs aren't part of the FM past, they were part of the FM present at that time. You can't bring people into a band and tell them nothing they've done prior to joining is worthy-- Chris/Mick/John didn't do that to unknowns like Stevie and Lindsey....and they certainly aren't going to do it to established people like Mike and Neil. And from a marketing standpoint, what's the value in alienating fans those two might bring to FM shows?? ka-ching.
It's exactly like when S & L joined? So Mike and Neil brought new material to Fleetwood Mac like Stevie and Lindsey did?

Btw, Mike didn't want to do Free Falling with FM.

Last edited by UnwindedDreams; 02-12-2022 at 03:14 PM..
Old 02-12-2022, 03:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
This ain't 1975. FM was barely hanging on by a thread when $&L joined, so they were much freer to do what they wanted(notice loser Mick was their manager too, so anything was game).

Doing Neil and Mike's songs cheapened the FM show, although I get that they might have been promised that, when joining the tour.
Old 02-12-2022, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
This ain't 1975. FM was barely hanging on by a thread when $&L joined, so they were much freer to do what they wanted(notice loser Mick was their manager too, so anything was game).

Doing Neil and Mike's songs cheapened the FM show, although I get that they might have been promised that, when joining the tour.
You know that Free Falling wasn't written by Mike... it was a Tom solo song!