Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-19-2022, 06:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
What was the message of All Over Again?
I think there was an undercurrent that it was going to be the last major tour, and it was their way of saying that in spite of how crazy Fleetwood Mac is, they'd still do it.

Quote:
I don't think it was a nervy choice. They closed the show with Goodbye Baby in 2003/2004 and Say Goodbye in 2013 and those are not well known songs.
Completely disagree. Time sold 150,000 copies, SYW sold 1.6 million. Furthermore "Goodbye Baby" was off the album they were actively promoting in 2003-04 and "Say Goodbye" was the token song from SYW, which would have been the only studio album from the Lindsey-Stevie years not represented in the setlist.

Quote:
They should've done 3 BTM songs instead of the 3 Lindsey songs.
"Go Your Own Way" is etched in stone, with or without Lindsey.

The only BTM song I think they should have done was "Freedom." Mike Campbell should have gotten to play the one Fleetwood Mac song he co-wrote.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-19-2022, 08:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
This was possibly my favorite moment from this tour; the song's good (all of Chris's Time tunes are) but I mostly loved that it wasn't something we'd seen 547 times before.

Side note - As much as I love "Isn't It Midnight", I think "Save Me" would have been a more appropriate choice for this tours setlist.
If they would have played Save Me, I think I would have passed out right there on the floor. I love Isn’t It Midnight, too, but Save Me is underrated and would have really sounded good with this incarnation. But as Steve pointed out, Freedom was a most obvious choice for the band to perform, since Mike Campbell co-wrote it, and they didn’t play it. It really seemed like FM deliberately made it a point to ignore Behind the Mask, which made it even odder they chose All Over Again instead.
Old 04-19-2022, 10:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Completely disagree. Time sold 150,000 copies, SYW sold 1.6 million. Furthermore "Goodbye Baby" was off the album they were actively promoting in 2003-04 and "Say Goodbye" was the token song from SYW, which would have been the only studio album from the Lindsey-Stevie years not represented in the setlist.

The only BTM song I think they should have done was "Freedom." Mike Campbell should have gotten to play the one Fleetwood Mac song he co-wrote.
They didn't do any songs from SYW on Unleashed: Hits Tour which leads me to believe they know there aren't well known songs on SYW.

I believe BTM was ignored because Rick and Billy weren't offered the jobs in 2018. Freedom would've been awesome. In the Back of My Mind as the opener would've been perfect.

Last edited by UnwindedDreams; 04-19-2022 at 10:38 PM..
Old 04-20-2022, 01:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
They didn't do any songs from SYW on Unleashed: Hits Tour which leads me to believe they know there aren't well known songs on SYW.
We were talking about the bold choice of encoring with "All Over Again," you brought up them using "Goodbye Baby" in 2003-04 and "Say Goodbye" in 2013.

Now, you're throwing in 2009, which has nothing to do with what we've been discussing.

Why?

The numbers on this don't lie: SYW sold about ten times as many copies and wasn't nearly as widely panned as Time. That's just a fact.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-20-2022, 01:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
We were talking about the bold choice of encoring with "All Over Again," you brought up them using "Goodbye Baby" in 2003-04 and "Say Goodbye" in 2013.

Now, you're throwing in 2009, which has nothing to do with what we've been discussing.

Why?

The numbers on this don't lie: SYW sold about ten times as many copies and wasn't nearly as widely panned as Time. That's just a fact.
Why do you have a disrespectful tone?
Old 04-20-2022, 02:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Why?

You brought up that Say Goodbye had to be the token song for the SYW album during Live 2013. I brought up Unleashed because there was no token song from SYW played. I believe that to be because there aren't any well known songs on SYW other than Peacekeeper and the title track, which I hear regularly in the supermarket.

Again. I believe closing Live 2013 with Say Goodbye was a bold choice. They could've closed it with Silver Springs but they didnt. I went to 5 shows in 2013 and no one around me knew Say Goodbye.

Last edited by UnwindedDreams; 04-20-2022 at 02:03 AM..
Old 04-20-2022, 06:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You brought up that Say Goodbye had to be the token song for the SYW album during Live 2013. I brought up Unleashed because there was no token song from SYW played. I believe that to be because there aren't any well known songs on SYW other than Peacekeeper and the title track, which I hear regularly in the supermarket.

Again. I believe closing Live 2013 with Say Goodbye was a bold choice. They could've closed it with Silver Springs but they didnt. I went to 5 shows in 2013 and no one around me knew Say Goodbye.
I agree that Say Goodbye was a bold choice of a closer in 2013, definitely. But the song had been performed live before, and by the same lineup that recorded it, and it was from an album that was fairly recent. All Over Again was performed live by a different lineup than the one that recorded it, and was from an album that was almost 20 years old at that point, not to mention the album was their poorest selling album. Those factors are why I think All Over Again was a more brazen choice for a closer. Really, for FM to not end with Songbird was a surprise, because they’re such a creature of habit. I was thrilled they shook up their setlist so much for the last tour, and it sounds like you were, also.
Old 04-20-2022, 09:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I agree that Say Goodbye was a bold choice of a closer in 2013, definitely. But the song had been performed live before, and by the same lineup that recorded it, and it was from an album that was fairly recent. All Over Again was performed live by a different lineup than the one that recorded it, and was from an album that was almost 20 years old at that point, not to mention the album was their poorest selling album. Those factors are why I think All Over Again was a more brazen choice for a closer. Really, for FM to not end with Songbird was a surprise, because they’re such a creature of habit. I was thrilled they shook up their setlist so much for the last tour, and it sounds like you were, also.
I would've like to have heard Songbird instead of World Turning or Tell Me All The Things. But it was nice to hear All Over Again even though I don't care for the song.
I'm a Classic Five, but more so a Stevie, fan so the 2018 setlist wasn't for me since she sang her usual (Dreams, Rhiannon, Gold Dust, Landslide) and Storms
which I heard ten times on Unleashed. I thought she was going to do Angel because she did Beautiful Child and Sara in 04, Storms in 09, and Sisters in 2013. And I hoped for Love is Dangerous, Freedom, or Affairs of the Heart given Stevie did a late 80s song on the 2014 reunion tour. So when Stevie sang Black Magic Woman, I Got You, and Free Fallin, and when I heard Hypnotized, Don't Dream It's Over, and Tell Me rather than Chris, Billy, or Lindsey songs I felt like I wasn't getting what I paid for.
Old 04-21-2022, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I thought she was going to do Angel because she did Beautiful Child and Sara in 04, Storms in 09, and Sisters in 2013.
“Angel” is truly a weird case. Why didn’t she pull it out of mothballs during these years? We haven’t heard it since the first few shows of 1983. It may be the only song she once did live a lot — one Fleetwood tour and one solo tour — that has been entirely ignored since then. I used to think it may have been because the song’s texture was so reliant on a particular instrument with a character-driven sound that is no longer available.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-21-2022, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
“Angel” is truly a weird case. Why didn’t she pull it out of mothballs during these years? We haven’t heard it since the first few shows of 1983. It may be the only song she once did live a lot — one Fleetwood tour and one solo tour — that has been entirely ignored since then. I used to think it may have been because the song’s texture was so reliant on a particular instrument with a character-driven sound that is no longer available.
Wow, I thought the same thing. Because Mick, John and Christine have such a weird way of attacking songs in general. They actually nail it. I have to go back and listen to the 1983 versions.
Old 04-21-2022, 06:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree David on Angel, it is a terrific song and transferred well to the live setting. Stevie obviously really enjoyed doing it back in the day with her dancing and all, but mostly the vocals were great. Solo, it lost a slight bit of its impact but really should have made it to a set list with all of these new millennium tours. It's also a personal fav and I was gobsmacked not that long ago to hear it playing in my local liquor store.
Old 04-22-2022, 06:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
I agree David on Angel, it is a terrific song and transferred well to the live setting. Stevie obviously really enjoyed doing it back in the day with her dancing and all, but mostly the vocals were great. Solo, it lost a slight bit of its impact but really should have made it to a set list with all of these new millennium tours. It's also a personal fav and I was gobsmacked not that long ago to hear it playing in my local liquor store.
IMHO Angel is one Mac song that I thought Stevie's band played better than the Mac. Waddy had a great riff and Roy on piano gave it a sparkle. I also believe her solo version is a bit faster tempo. She performed it early in the Wild Heart leg in addition to her short Bella Donna tour.
Old 04-22-2022, 07:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
IMHO Angel is one Mac song that I thought Stevie's band played better than the Mac. Waddy had a great riff and Roy on piano gave it a sparkle. I also believe her solo version is a bit faster tempo. She performed it early in the Wild Heart leg in addition to her short Bella Donna tour.
Her solo version is like a different song- I like it but Waddy starts the song and drives it from my recollection. I'm not a Bittan fan in the arena of Springsteen sound because I think it kind of softened Bruce's songs, but his contributions to Stevie's songs are perfect!

But Angel with Chris leading the tune is The Top for me!
Old 04-22-2022, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Her solo version is like a different song- I like it but Waddy starts the song and drives it from my recollection. I'm not a Bittan fan in the arena of Springsteen sound because I think it kind of softened Bruce's songs, but his contributions to Stevie's songs are perfect!

But Angel with Chris leading the tune is The Top for me!
I agree. That quirky thing she does on keys, leads me to love the live version as much as the studio.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 04-22-2022 at 12:39 PM..