The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-27-2021, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

He has some good lyrics on it. But that “sometimes my soul is hot, sometimes it’s cold” is the very lamest. Some people treat me kind. Some people treat me mean. Does he have grand children that we don’t know about? Did they help him write this?

For me, the best lines are Another city, another crime. I’m out of pity. I’m out of time.

Love in a Hearst is pretty good for a line. Swan song lyrics are good. I take Scream to be sex and oral sex. Good in a tall grass sense.

When I got up this morning I was thinking of Miranda and I’d have to say those are probably his best lyrics.
Old 09-27-2021, 03:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
He has some good lyrics on it. But that “sometimes my soul is hot, sometimes it’s cold” is the very lamest. Some people treat me kind. Some people treat me mean. Does he have grand children that we don’t know about? Did they help him write this?
These lyrics are from 'Time', which is a cover, written by Michael Merchant and not Lindsey. Lindsey changed them very slightly, from 'sometimes my face is cold, sometimes it's hot'. Perhaps the the blame lies with Michael Merchant's grandchildren...
Old 09-27-2021, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango87 View Post
These lyrics are from 'Time', which is a cover, written by Michael Merchant and not Lindsey. Lindsey changed them very slightly, from 'sometimes my face is cold, sometimes it's hot'. Perhaps the the blame lies with Michael Merchant's grandchildren...
Ok. Good point.
Old 10-02-2021, 11:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

https://rockandrollglobe.com/rock/al...rFE_rguZrm9mao

ALBUMS: Buckingham Kicks

The former Fleetwood Mac guitarist emerges from the darkness with his strongest solo album in years

September 30, 2021 Stephanie Hernandez

Lindsey Buckingham Lindsey Buckingham, Rhino Records 2021
With a career spanning half a century, Lindsey Buckingham’s pop sensibilities have yet to diminish, even after a three-year rough patch that would have put anyone else out of commission.

Since 2018, he has been fired from Fleetwood Mac, suffered a heart attack and vocal cord damage, and of course, experienced a global pandemic.The album delayed for approximately three years, but Lindsey is back in full swing with his self-titled, self-produced, and self-written album: Lindsey Buckingham.

Opening the album with a song that’s characteristically Buckingham, “Scream” features a steady rhythm guitar to drive the song, chiming bells, and lyrical Buckinghamisms such as, “Over and over, red, red rover.” With each facet of his pop-melody-mind on display, the song acts as the perfect hint of what’s to come on the album.

The first single, “I Don’t Mind” is the track that truly showed us Lindsey is back and better than ever. With indie-pop flavors and wistful vocals that ricochet between the eardrums, his singular voice is able to create many layers of texture to encompass his lead vocal. Striking lyrics such as “Oh my love, the sky is burning,” along with the near perfect production of this song show that his compositional prowess is perfectly intact.

Artist: Lindsey Buckingham

Album: Lindsey Buckingham

Label: Reprise Records

★★★★ (4/5 stars)

The second single, “On the Wrong Side” seemed to perfectly coincide with his press cycle for the album – drama with Fleetwood Mac. Speaking candidly with Rolling Stone, Buckingham laid out his official side of the Stevie Saga, saying that she had him fired because she “wanted to shape the band in her own image, a more mellow thing.” He also made a few snide comments on Stevie’s personal life, to which Stevie responded, “We could start in 1968 and work up to 2018 with a litany of very precise reasons why I will not work with him. To be exceedingly clear, I did not have him fired, I did not ask for him to be fired, I did not demand he be fired. Frankly, I fired myself.”

Featuring a ripping guitar solo and harmonies that sound reminiscent of Nicks-McVie, musically, “On the Wrong Side” is a song that can stand without context. With the added drama, however, the lines “We were young and now we’re old / who can tell me which is worse? / I’m out of pity, I’m out of time / Another city, another crime,” take on a whole lot more meaning – a feat that each member of Fleetwood Mac has capitalized on for the past 50 years.

VIDEO: Lindsey Buckingham performs “On The Wrong Side” on The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

One thing about Buckingham’s career is that he is always evolving. The unexpected “Swan Song” opens like an early 2000s spy film, and we can imagine him standing there in a leather trenchcoat. Keeping with the times, Lindsey’s looping drum tracks propel the song as his guitar takes off and soars through to the ending. With a “Swan Song” typically denoting the end of an artist’s career, it can be insinuated that the chaotic track is a reflection of the tumultuous break with Fleetwood Mac: “Has the queen lost her sight?” With an international tour on his horizon, it is doubtful that he’s announcing his own retirement. Elsewhere on the album, “Power Down” features a similar sonic aesthetic as “Swan Song,” but this time outlining the feelings of heartbreak.

A doo-wop style ballad, with a soft California feel, “Blind Love” unpacks a theme that is all too common in Lindsey’s catalog: uncertain love. The highlight of the track, as with most of his songs, are the soothing harmonies, but the percussion section is where we hear a blind spot in his production, with a rather generic drum track looping.

Showcasing his folk roots, Buckingham’s cover of Pozo-Seco’s “Time” is an example of the music that helped inform his sound from the very beginning. His arrangement is much softer than the original version, but as the lone cover amongst a sea of self-penned material, the song occupies a sentimental space on the album.

In December of 2020, I asked Lindsey about his lyrical stimuli, to which he answered: “I would say my lyrics have become more poetic over time, they’re sort of Rorschach Tests, more open to interpretation.” With folksy nylon-stringed guitars and philosophically tautological lyrics, “Blue Light” teeters on the edge of upbeat psychobabble.

The melancholy romance of “Santa Rosa” is a glimpse into his troubled marriage with Kristen Messener, who recently filed for divorce (but he says they’re working on it!). In his interview with Rolling Stone, Buckingham explained that the song was inspired by a disagreement with Kristen, saying, “My wife wanted to move the entire family up to Santa Rosa Valley… she wanted to build a house on a horse ranch.” The lyrics to “Santa Rosa” plainly show that Buckingham did not want to leave his home in Brentwood: “We built our home with heart and soul / Oh, no I can’t let it go.” With windswept harmonies and a subtle reference to the 60s hit, “Baby, It’s You” (“It doesn’t matter what you say / I’m gonna love you any old way’), this song nostalgically traces the scenic top-down drive from Brentwood up to Santa Rosa.

Lindsey Buckingham’s 2021 U.S. tour ends on December 20 in Boulder, Colorado (Image: Facebook)
Bending towards the Baroque with the dulcet “Dancing,” each bright guitar strum sounds almost like a harpsichord as he psychologically unravels his thoughts in the style of a lullaby to close out the album.

Oftentimes with artists of Lindsey Buckingham’s stature, new releases get ignored in favor of their old standards. His new, self-titled release, however, is not to be ignored. Songs like “I Don’t Mind,’)” “On the Wrong Side,” and “Santa Rosa” should all be considered Lindsey Buckingham essentials.

One thing that this album makes crystal clear, is that Lindsey Buckingham can still write a really fu*king good pop song.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-02-2021, 11:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

https://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/233162/9

Lindsey Buckingham - Lindsey Buckingham (Album Review)
4/5

Wednesday, 29 September 2021 Written by Simon Ramsay

As wrenching as the split first appears, there’s some weight to the idea that getting fired from Fleetwood Mac was the best thing that could have happened to Lindsey Buckingham. His former bandmates are happy to live off their history as a touring jukebox, but the guitarist’s first solo album in a decade shows he perhaps shouldn’t be wasting his time going through the motions.

Completed three years ago, prior to his dismissal, and repeatedly delayed by a variety of factors, including well publicised health issues, marital strife and Covid-19, this sublime self-titled effort is a masterclass in sun-blanched transatlantic pop-rock, underscored by earthy folk sensibilities and flush with elegant melodies and spellbinding harmonies. If this were a Fleetwood Mac album it would be hailed as both late stage classic and a fitting recorded swan song.

Buckingham knows how to make a chorus land. In tandem with sage chord changes and shimmering six-string embellishments, the sublime vocal arrangements on I Don’t Mind, Santa Rosa and Blind Love are spine-tingling as their refrains take hold.

The fact he performed all those harmonies himself, before subtly tweaking them to ape his old band’s style, is remarkable.

Where previous solo records often serviced Buckingham’s experimental tendencies, this is a more commercial, straightforward offering. That said, both Power Down—which cheekily mimics the riff to Stevie Nicks’ Edge of Seventeen—and Swan Song use funky beats and clever vocal effects to add contemporary flavours, with the latter blending modern R&B with EDM rhythms and fizzing flamenco outbursts without sacrificing stylistic cohesion or accessibility.

Although the record’s themes are open to interpretation, nods to Fleetwood Mac abound. On The Wrong Side, a musically effervescent, but emotionally conflicted, romp in the mould of Go Your Own Way, he reveals how he became lost in all the never-ending melodrama. Closing lullaby Dancing, if aimed at a certain former lover, is as sonically sweet as it is poetically scathing.

An awareness of life’s ticking clock has, over the years, grown increasingly prominent in Buckingham’s writing, and his fittingly melancholic cover of The Pozo-Seco Singers’ Time boasts added poignancy now the spectre of mortality has become a tangible, encroaching reality.

All things considered, it’s disappointing to hear Buckingham say he’d happily rejoin Fleetwood Mac, but there’s always been a push and pull between his need for widespread recognition and desire to satiate the restless artist within. Having repeatedly been there, done that and set his legacy in stone, it’s time to leave the soap opera in the rear-view.

Lindsey Buckingham Upcoming Tour Dates are as follows:

Tue May 17 2022 - DUBLIN Helix
Thu May 19 2022 - GLASGOW SEC Armadillo
Sat May 21 2022 - LIVERPOOL Philharmonic Hall
Sun May 22 2022 - LONDON Palladium
Compare & Buy Lindsey Buckingham Tickets at Stereoboard.com.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-01-2021, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Another Lindsey Buckingham album review

it's been a few months since the album's been released, this review just showed up:

https://www.theaquarian.com/2021/10/...ey-hank-erwin/

On The Record: Lindsey Buckingham, plus Bruce T. Carroll, Sarah McQuaid, Sue Foley, & Hank Erwin
Jeff Burger October 29, 2021 Columns, On The Record
Wait – did Lindsey Buckingham rejoin Fleetwood Mac? That may be your first thought upon hearing his excellent seventh solo album, which was originally scheduled for release in 2018 and is finally seeing the light of day.

Buckingham, of course, was unceremoniously fired in that year from the group he’d joined way back in 1975; and if his former bandmate and one-time lover Stevie Nicks has her way, he’ll apparently never be invited back. No matter. On his eponymous new album, Buckingham seems to be saying, “Who needs Fleetwood Mac? Not me.” And he may be right. The performances on Lindsey Buckingham sound quite like the tracks he created for such classic Mac LPs as Rumours, Tusk, and Mirage. The full band sound is here and so are the gorgeous vocal harmonies.

That achievement is particularly remarkable because album projects don’t get much more solo than Lindsey Buckingham, which the artist recorded in his home studio. Not only did he write all the songs aside from Michael Merchant’s “Time” (a minor hit for the Pozo-Seco singers in 1966); he apparently also played not just all the electric and acoustic guitars but with the help of overdubbing, every other instrument as well, including bass, percussion, and guitar and bass synthesizers. In addition, he provided drum programming and all the vocals – including the omnipresent harmony work. On top of that, he produced and engineered the record and mixed all but one of the songs. Just about the only thing he didn’t do was manufacture the discs and distribute them to retailers.

The past few years have not been easy ones for Buckingham, which may explain why a man who has had so much success looks so somber on the cover of this album. Besides being dumped from his group of more than four decades, he saw his marriage splinter, suffered a heart attack that almost killed him, and temporarily lost his voice because of a surgery.

You can hear evidence of those experiences in the lyrics to these songs – or at least a foreshadowing of them since they were reportedly all written prior to Buckingham’s hard times. On “I Don’t Mind,” for example, he sings that “where there’s joy there must be sorrow” and on “Santa Rosa,” he laments that “we built our home with heart and soul…now you want to leave it behind.” In “On the Wrong Side, meanwhile, he seems to allude to the discord with Fleetwood Mac, and throughout the album, he makes other observations about the passage of time and turmoil in relationships.

As any longtime fan knows, however, Buckingham has never been one to let romantic entanglements get in the way of exuberant melodies and ear-candy embellishments. Witness, for example, such early hits as “Go Your Own Way,” where he combines sunny and uplifting music with lyrics about a relationship falling apart, so it’s no surprise that Lindsey Buckingham delivers the same sort of upbeat pleasures. Informed by his consummate production, insistent rhythms, jangly guitars, and addictive melodies, the record grabs your attention with “Scream,” the opening track, and doesn’t let go until the final notes of the last cut, the atypically slow-paced “Dancing.”

Though Buckingham issued an album with Fleetwood Mac bandmate Christine McVie in 2017, this 37-minute CD is his first solo release in about a decade. Let’s hope his next album doesn’t take nearly as long to arrive – and that it lives up to the high standard set by Lindsey Buckingham.

Old 11-03-2021, 07:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Just about the only thing he didn’t do was manufacture the discs and distribute them to retailers.
I love this.
Old 11-13-2021, 09:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

https://offthetracks.co.nz/lindsey-b...ey-buckingham/

November 13, 2021 by Simon Sweetman
Lindsey Buckingham: Lindsey Buckingham
Lindsey Buckingham

Lindsey Buckingham

Rhino

I was so excited about this album I did something I don’t normally do and couldn’t keep up with if it became the norm: I wrote a gushing “preview” basically suggesting the greatness of the album and anticipating it after just one listen, also surveying the past solo catalogue.

I’m a Buckingham fan through and through, always have been – and though I’ve enjoyed every version of Fleetwood Mac and seen the band live with and without Lindsey on stage it’s his special sonic ingredient that I think of first-equal with Peter Green’s. And these days I’m more about the Lindsey songs than almost any other version of the group.

His solo career has long fascinated me but this self-titled album might be his very best. It arrived, too, with the twin baggage of being the record that got him booted from the Mac (this time) and being recorded just ahead of the health complications that threatened to sideline him from touring (or recording) again. Fortunately, he appears to have made a full-enough recovery and is on the road.

The last two official Fleetwood Mac studio offerings, a double-album crammed down into one very long-player and a super-short EP, were both basically seeded from aborted Buckingham solo projects. His songwriting being what gets the band in the studio again.

This time he wanted to keep the songs for himself. More so than on any of his solo albums since the early 1990s you can hear how these would have worked as Mac songs. But good on him for keeping them for himself.

His melodic gifts shine and several of the tunes – opener Scream, big single I Don’t Mind and the sublime Swan Song – show how this pop songwriting master uses the guitar solo as a hinge and is able to conjure superb pop melodies still; in great vocal form and instrumentally dazzling as always.

I wish Buckingham would value drums more – so keen on making ‘solo’ albums he resorts to simple, lazy drum programming and I’d love to hear him backed by, if not Mick, then some other great, real drummer. That’s the only real nit to pick here. The album is close to perfect otherwise – and shines and shines.

There are throwbacks to Buckingham/Nicks (Time), to his 80s rockabilly/shuffle-influenced solo tunes (Blue Light) and nothing as insular as his 00s/’10s recordings. Instead, even the most multi-vocal and blindingly brilliant guitar-led pieces, such as Power Down, don’t give off the claustrophobic and exhausting vibes. They just sound bursting with life and energy and infectious pop magic.

I’m still finding a new favourite song each time – after listening to it most days for weeks on end.

I can’t say I expected that when I first went in, when I pre-emptively gushed about the magic Lindsey has offered. Here he bursts with brilliance again.

Old 11-26-2021, 11:56 AM
Ledgie

Default Greil Marcus reviews new album

In his November Real Life Rock Top 10 column, Greil Marcus reviews Lindsey's new album. Surprised he gave it a positive review, as he did not like the Buck-McVie album.

https://www.lareviewofbooks.org/arti...november-2021/

3. Lindsey Buckingham, Lindsey Buckingham (Reprise). Supposedly this was recorded before Buckingham was kicked out of Fleetwood Mac in 2018 and before his heart attack in 2019. It’s hard to credit, especially after the damp rag of the album he and then–Fleetwood Mac bandmate Christine McVie released in 2017, which seemed to signal neither had anything left. Everything here sings with delight. There’s pleasure in music-making that gives Buckingham’s confident, all-the-time-in-the-world singing a lift right out of “Blind Love,” a doo-wop ballad that sounds like something he and his high school friends made up while cruising up and down the San Francisco Peninsula instead of doing homework. On “On the Wrong Side,” his voice goes up and high and scratchy. He seems to get younger verse by verse, years flying off the calendar backward to the beat.
Old 11-28-2021, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I appreciate the last review, but how many times did they listen to BM? It had snoozers, but it had a few good songs. I think Lay Down for Free, was exceptional, for one.