Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-26-2022, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default New Christine interview - and a new compilation on the way

There's a nice new BBC interview with Christine out now, where she talks to Gary Barlow (from UK boy band Take That) about songwriting.

She talks rather cagily about Fleetwood Mac's future - suggests that there might be more to come - but also says she has a new 'compilation' album coming out this summer, called, somewhat inevitably, 'Songbird', and produced by Glyn Johns. It sounds like it will be her old songs set to an orchestral backing, so I don't imagine she's re-recorded her vocals, but who knows?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0015lzs

'Fleetwood Mac's Christine McVie goes down a winding memory lane with Gary Barlow as she reveals the magic behind some of the best songs ever written.
Discover how her journey took her from Birmingham to Los Angeles and how the revolutions of the band affected her marriage to John McVie and her sense of self. She co-created one of the most epic albums of all time 'Rumours' - but discover if there was a price to pay for all that musical genius. Christine grew up on the piano, playing jazz at an early age which lay the foundations for her songwriting in the future. She created classics like ‘Don’t Stop’, ‘Songbird’ and ‘Little Lies’ - enjoy a songwriting masterclass from one of the most majestic women in the music business.'
Old 03-26-2022, 12:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Thank you for posting this. You made my day. I will take any new Christine stuff no matter what it is. I have to laugh how she called her first album "The legendary Christine McVie" It was "The Legendary Christine Perfect"
Good interviewer but I wish he would have asked about the Bob Welch era. He brings up Future Games and coming to the USA and she says Fleetwood Mac could not get work in England. HELLO!! They now had an American in the band. Bob brought the band to the USA. I think that gets over looked. If the Mac had not hired Bob, they may have stayed in England. I like he asks her about her solo album. She sometimes forgets to mention it and pretends it did not happen. I feel bad for her because her voice is changing

Last edited by Macfan4life; 03-26-2022 at 12:52 PM..
Old 03-26-2022, 12:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango87 View Post
There's a nice new BBC interview with Christine out now, where she talks to Gary Barlow (from UK boy band Take That) about songwriting.

She talks rather cagily about Fleetwood Mac's future - suggests that there might be more to come - but also says she has a new 'compilation' album coming out this summer, called, somewhat inevitably, 'Songbird', and produced by Glyn Johns. It sounds like it will be her old songs set to an orchestral backing, so I don't imagine she's re-recorded her vocals, but who knows?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0015lzs

'Fleetwood Mac's Christine McVie goes down a winding memory lane with Gary Barlow as she reveals the magic behind some of the best songs ever written.
Discover how her journey took her from Birmingham to Los Angeles and how the revolutions of the band affected her marriage to John McVie and her sense of self. She co-created one of the most epic albums of all time 'Rumours' - but discover if there was a price to pay for all that musical genius. Christine grew up on the piano, playing jazz at an early age which lay the foundations for her songwriting in the future. She created classics like ‘Don’t Stop’, ‘Songbird’ and ‘Little Lies’ - enjoy a songwriting masterclass from one of the most majestic women in the music business.'
Glyn Johns who clashed so badly with Stevie....

I thought she grew up playing classical music, not so much jazz...?

This sounds like it could be a good album or a 'what were they thinking?' one.

Odd to be coming out with a compilation project now. Further establishing the legacy or another attempt to make some money now that it seems FM likely won't be doing anything new in the studio or on the road ?
Old 03-26-2022, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Glyn Johns who clashed so badly with Stevie....

I thought she grew up playing classical music, not so much jazz...?

This sounds like it could be a good album or a 'what were they thinking?' one.

Odd to be coming out with a compilation project now. Further establishing the legacy or another attempt to make some money now that it seems FM likely won't be doing anything new in the studio or on the road ?
I think she was talking about her brother who was the jazz player so she was around jazz. Yes, LOL Gly Johns who is revered in the industry but only Stevie does not like because of her songs. He got the blame for Street Angel.

I don't care what the album is, I look forward to it. Everyone else has done something like this so why not her just once. Stevie has so many "best of" CDs and stuff they all blur together.
Old 03-26-2022, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Nice to hear her no nonsense slight Brummie voice.
She sounded really good and happy.
I enjoyed the programme even Gary Barlow.
Old 03-26-2022, 03:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The way she answered about a possible tour for “Songbird” leads me to think there will be one.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-26-2022, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks so much for this post. Lovely to catch up with Christine on this rainy Saturday afternoon. Looking forward to Songbird!
Old 03-26-2022, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Finally got it to play. Thanks for sharing!

Interesting when she talked about coming back to the band and touring and says "Those last years were great"

Then when he asks about touring again she says, as someone noted above, that she's learned to be a bit "cagey" about talking about stuff like that and it made me think about how she got spanked for speaking out about whether FM will ever tour again (when she said she couldn't see John going out again and that she was getting too old for it as well) and then had to walk back her comments. So now she's not willing to commit to any sort of comment that could blowback on her. Thanks, Mick and Stevie.

She did sort of push back a little when he said something about the BuckVie album and that era and whether it was like a final victory lap and she said something about maybe the final victory lap was still yet to come....
Old 03-26-2022, 04:07 PM

Wow! Thanks for posting. She sounds happy and wonderful. It shows if she's working on something with Vincent Mendoza. He did Joni Michell's Both Sides Now back in 1999 ish. It's brilliant.

I hope she does some new music or that blues album too. Great to hear her voice again.
Old 03-26-2022, 05:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
The way she answered about a possible tour for “Songbird” leads me to think there will be one.
yep. sounded very clearly like her solo tour is in the works but not all set yet so she cannot say anything.

and lol SN and her cult will hate it that Christine yet again spelled out that Mick / FM wanted only Lindsey but LB insisted SN comes along. SN minions been trying extra hard to sweep that under the rug for the last few years.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 03-26-2022, 05:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Rod Stewart did an album recently where he rerecorded his classics with an orchestra.
I hope she did new vocals.

What did she mean by last years?
Old 03-26-2022, 05:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is exciting news. I never ever thought Christine would do a solo tour, but it sounds like it just might be a possibility. Unbelievable! I would go to that show in a heartbeat, but I suspect it would be select cities. I love the idea of a smaller venue, too.

I can’t wait to see what will be on the new compilation.
Old 03-26-2022, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The announcement verbatim:

“I’ve just finished an album which is a compilation of my biggest hits. But they’ve all been produced again by Glyn Johns [with] Vince Mendoza on strings who does this fantastic version of Songbird. So that’s going to be released but they all sound completely different. That’s out in June this year and it’s just called Songbird… obviously.”

I hope it has some deep cuts and maybe one or two new songs including the one she wrote with Neil Finn.
I wish Mick would just say definitively that the group does not exist anymore. Then we can edit Wikipedia and get rid of all this crap about the surviving members of the 2018-19 lineup comprising a current configuration.

Thanks to Mick and all erstwhile members for the good times.
Old 03-26-2022, 07:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I’m very excited about this new release. I do hope she includes some new stuff. I’m not sure how she can pull off a live show at this point unfortunately.
Old 03-26-2022, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
I’m very excited about this new release. I do hope she includes some new stuff. I’m not sure how she can pull off a live show at this point unfortunately.
I love the interview. I agree that I don't think she can pull off doing shows at this point.

I wish he'd asked her why she fake plays keys now.