Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:16 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Chris being ignored/left out

I couldn't think of a better way to word the thread title - sorry.
I've always felt kind of bad/sad that Stevie gets so much more attention than Chris in terms of gifts and appreciation and such. I definitely don't think Chris is jealous, but maybe she's felt a little left out/ignored? There are a couple stories that exemplify this pretty well:
- The one about the celebrity softball (or maybe it was baseball?) game and Chris was actually surprised that there was a gift for her (the bumper sticker).
- Stevie having a ton of gifts one night and Chris having nothing, so John pulled a flower off the thingy and gave it to her (awwww!).
Like I already said, I don't think she was jealous. Still, how could you not feel a little crappy when you have to constantly watch the other girl be showered with gifts while you get nothing? I mean, to actually be shocked/surprised to receive a gift of your own...that says something. It's sad!
I always thought that if I'd had the chance to see FM with Chris (of if by some strange flukey miracle she tours again and I do get to see her with them one day), I'd bring her roses. It's a thought I've had in my head for years now - bringing Chris red roses. Nothing too terribly fancy, nothing overly cheesy, but classic and beautiful and enough to get the point across - that she's appreciated and we love her.
Has anyone else ever felt bad that Chris is seemingly ignored in the gift/tokens of appreciation department? Maybe I'm just over thinking things again.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I've always been the other girls who watches the others be showered with praise, gifts and acknowledgement. I know how hard it is. So I know that even if she hid it well, Chris must have been hurt on some level.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:52 PM
Senior Ledgie

^ I'm like that too, in a way. I could have graduated 3 years early, I have a genius level IQ, I was MVP of my softball team for 2 years in a row, and yet my sister is the pretty/popular/social one, so she's the one who always gets spoiled and shown attention. For me, being smart doesn't necessarily make people like you. If you're outgoing though, you can be dumb as a bag of hammers and still be loved and spoiled, because you have the charisma. I don't even care about being spoiled, but it hurts when you're always left out.
That's a good point you bring up. It does hurt, and maybe with Christine, it bothers me so much because I can relate.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, at least it evened itself out off stage. Stevie said they'd send her off to a room and forget she was there for hours. Chris said Stevie would always want to sing while they were still working on a the musical arrangement and they would tell her not now and Stevie would feel left out. So, maybe Chris didn't get as many stuffed animals thrown at her when they were on stage (that's a funny bit when she keeps one of them at the end of the show, even though Stevie pulls at it), but there was a kind of balance in the parts of band life that we didn't get to see.

Michele
Old 04-17-2011, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well Considering Chris had put so much more time in the band, I feel bad yes. At the same time, Chris just kept doing her thing. I have major major respect for her. And no one can deny since she left, there's been a big gaping hole. that says something.

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 04-17-2011, 02:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

While I can understand that she may have felt left out, does anyone think it's possible she was maybe a little tiny bit thankful?

Especially now, she said herself that she can go shopping without being mobbed which she's grateful for. She'll be able to walk her dogs in peace and go to the pub (for a chat) without people constantly pestering her. The combination of her reserved nature and english-ness probably thank the heavens above every day for that.

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 04-17-2011, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Betcha the brown paper bag money made up for it.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-18-2011, 12:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Chris always said she rather enjoyed being towards the back of the stage, hidden behind her keyboards where she kinda blended in with the rhythm section of the band. Christine was far more of a musician than a performance artist. I don't think she was ever interested in being the headliner or focal point. I think she just enjoyed supporting the other musicians in the band. I don't think the rest of the trappings really interested her in the least.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kick.inside View Post
- Stevie having a ton of gifts one night and Chris having nothing, so John pulled a flower off the thingy and gave it to her (awwww!)
When did that happen? Is there a video?

I agree with ButterCookie about Chris reserved nature and english-ness. And besides people's attention, there's the band acknowledgement to her contribution and how important she was to the Fleetwood Mac success.

During the "infamous" August 7, 1987 incident, Mick tells in his book some Lindsey complaining, what I interpret as a general bitterness, more than a contempt to Chris (or any other member) work.

Lindsey apologised. "Look, I'm sorry. I just can't do any more. I've given twelve years of my life to this band! I've done it all arranged, produced, played guitar, sang. I just can't . . . hack it . . . and do it all anymore."

Christine spoke now. "What do you mean,Lindsey, do it all?" Her tone was withering. It was her singles, after all, that got played on the radio, not Lindsey's. This was a sore spot, because in interviews Lindsey had been describing his role in the band as the grand interpreter of Chris's and Stevie's music to the world as if he felt he had carried the rest of the band. Nobody liked this, especially now. Lindsey was silent. No one knew what to say. Lindsey had given his answer.

I agree with Mick about the success of Tango in the Night. Though the Lindsey/Richard production brought the Fleetwood Mac sound we love, Chris contribution was essential to the Tango success.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Christine has said she thought of herself as part of the rhythm section rather than the front person so she would have expected to get less attention than Stevie.

However although her demenour on stage has always been reserved I don't think she was like that off stage. I'm sure I read somewhere she said herself that she was "outspoken". Don't let that reserved exterior fool you - she is as tough as old boots. She wouldn't have survived as long as she did in a cut throat business if she was over sensitive.

I've always thought of Christine as a musician and Stevie as a Rock Star.

Hope she's enjoying her retirement

Gail
Old 04-18-2011, 05:06 PM
Senior Ledgie

I know she's tough and I know she didn't want as much attention (or at least claimed she was okay with it), but it still must have been hard at times to have Stevie showered with gifts while she stood there watching and not getting much acknowledgment from fans. Like maybe sometimes she felt inferior or something, or that she didn't even matter because Stevie was all they cared about. Even if they were just fleeting thoughts, it seems natural that she'd feel that way at some point.
That's why, like I said in my initial post, if I'd had the chance to see her, I would have brought her something. I love Stevie but my heart definitely belongs to Chris. I think it would be nice if people had shown her that she was appreciated too. I'm sure she might have gotten the occasional token of appreciation, but obviously not nearly as much as Stevie did.
Oh well. I'll never have the chance now.
I hope she's happy in her retirement too. As much as I'd love to be able to see her touring again, I wouldn't want her to do something that made her unhappy. I wish her all the best.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kick.inside View Post
I know she's tough and I know she didn't want as much attention (or at least claimed she was okay with it), but it still must have been hard at times to have Stevie showered with gifts while she stood there watching and not getting much acknowledgment from fans. Like maybe sometimes she felt inferior or something, or that she didn't even matter because Stevie was all they cared about. Even if they were just fleeting thoughts, it seems natural that she'd feel that way at some point.
Quite frankly, I don't think Chris was comfortable with fan attention and adulation. Fans are just strangers. We don't know her and she doesn't know us. I don't think she wanted strangers expressing their adoration.

Certainly peers and industry people matter. Did she want record sales? Yes. I'm sure when she got good critical reviews she was happy and of course she both had and welcomed the respect of her bandmates. In a newspaper review went on and on about Stevie and ignored her, maybe that would tend to get under her skin. But as far as fawning fans go . . . I don't think that's her thing.

I remember some of the Japan video footage where they are giving her goodbye gifts. She seems to look and feel quite awkward receiving them, especially with everyone awaiting her response.

I think it's the Mirage video at the end where she pulls a stuffed animal from Stevie. I think she was just doing it to be funny and playful or doing it because Stevie was annoying reaching over her, but I don't think she really cared a fig whether or not a fan gave her a gift. Another musician noticing her? Yes, I'm sure that was flattering to her and she had plenty of that.

Michele
Old 04-18-2011, 06:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I think it's the Mirage video at the end where she pulls a stuffed animal from Stevie. I think she was just doing it to be funny and playful or doing it because Stevie was annoying reaching over her, but I don't think she really cared a fig whether or not a fan gave her a gift.
Michele
Wasn't it a bouquet of flowers?
Old 04-18-2011, 08:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Christine is a very different animal than Stevie. Her constitution is very strong. There is absolutely no reason to feel bad for her. Put into perspective her very English nature, as well as her view of being a musician, in contrast to being a imagine-driven singer. Stevie's role and perspective is very disparate.

And that is the key as to why the band was able to exist with two women; Chris never felt threatenened by Stevie. It wasn't a competition. Nor did she ever felt jealous of the attention Stevie got, In fact, she mostly looked at it with bit of amusement. When you see the films/clips/interviews with the band, it's obvious and evident that Chris doesn't give a **** about all the attention given to Stevie.

I love her for that.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 04-18-2011 at 08:25 PM..
Old 04-18-2011, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Y'know, it's funny: Christine produced more hits than Stevie or Lindsey (not counting solo careers)--it's not that the music-buying public discounted Christine. But for reasons many and varied, Chris just didn't acquire those legions of rabid fans who wanted to dress like her and throw toys at her and make her an icon. Some of those factors were random, some were beyond anyone's control, and some speak to her general disinterest in being a rock and roll sex kitten. I think Chris mainly just wanted to make great music and drink her champagne; I doubt she cared much about truckloads of stuffed animals.

But on some level, it must have stung to be "the other girl in Fleetwood Mac." And especially, to see Stevie constantly deemed the "hot one." In return, of course, Chris was taken more seriously within the band and by critics, but I don't think any woman is completely, 100% fine with not being the pretty one (for what's it's worth, I've always considered them roughly equal in looks, depending on the period.)

Note: I say this as someone who still has issues about being less charismatic, non-blond sister. I even got highlights and went pseudo-blond, knowing full well that it would look terrible (it did) because jeezum crowe, it's hard to quash childhood issues!

Last edited by mezzoforte; 04-19-2011 at 01:24 AM..