User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-24-2022, 05:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Arrow Songbird album first listen

The CD has not arrived yet but Amazon will let you stream it for free. You guys are in for a BIG surprise. Usually remixes are faintly noticed and there are a few things turned up or down. OMG these songs are completely different. Friend starts out like the ending of the song with the da da da's. The Challenge has this heavy guitar riff through the entire song. I suppose this is Clapton. The original song has his picking away and its the melody. I love a heavy guitar riff but this is so shocking its going take some getting used too. It over powers the song.
But give me time, I have not gotten through all the songs yet. I am excited because I was not expecting such radically different versions of these songs.
Personally I prefer the music beginning to Friend compared to vocals right away. Its just so radically different that its going to take a few listens to really soak it all it. All the percussion parts of Ask Anybody are turned way up. Northern Star is odd because like Songbird it almost sounds like the music is interfering with the vocals and timing of the vocals. All You Gotta Do is so bluesy and has this incredible organ in it. Very classic Christine. Easy Come Easy Go is a great and fresh remix with the guitars turned way up. Love it. I just want more and think of the possibilities of some of her better known songs remixed like this. I have always said Love Will Show Us How always needed a remix to jazz it up.
The new heavy metal version of The Challenge is freaking awesome

Last edited by Macfan4life; 06-24-2022 at 06:43 AM..
Old 06-24-2022, 06:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

After one listen I agree with you Macfanforlife the remixes are very different and sound amazing. I noticed the back up vocals are much more prominent which I like a lot. The only song that’s not the case is The Challenge which I found odd because Lindsey’s vocals added much to the end of the song. I do like this edger version much better. All the songs hang together very well. I think the only thing missing is Got a Hold On Me. It belongs on this collection and could have used this refresh.
Old 06-24-2022, 07:45 AM

I'm really enjoying this! Ask Anybody with some nice atmosphere and a few punches in the transitions. Lovely!
Old 06-24-2022, 08:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

This sounds spectacular on my old cruddy tower computer speakers. I can only imagine what the CD will sound like on my Bose system
Old 06-24-2022, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
This sounds spectacular on my old cruddy tower computer speakers. I can only imagine what the CD will sound like on my Bose system
I have two Echo Studios left right channel. I hear things on the regular mixes that I've never heard. Can't wait to get home.
Old 06-24-2022, 08:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Unlike most of the tunes on In the Meantime, All You Gotta Do has layers and layers of keyboards up from and center, including Christine’s trademark Hammond (or a synth equivalent). Stylistically, the song is a rootsy throwback to early 70s rock like The Band.
Old 06-24-2022, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Unlike most of the tunes on In the Meantime, All You Gotta Do has layers and layers of keyboards up from and center, including Christine’s trademark Hammond (or a synth equivalent). Stylistically, the song is a rootsy throwback to early 70s rock like The Band.
Almost thought of "I'd Rather Go Blind"!
I was hoping you'd hear all this today.
All you gotta do is be around.
Old 06-24-2022, 08:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
All You Gotta Do has layers and layers of keyboards up from and center, including Christine’s trademark Hammond (or a synth equivalent)
Rhino Records has provided a complimentary link to this song and one more from this new collection, on youtube today.
Old 06-30-2022, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Why aren't there any tracks from the Christine Perfect album? It seems that when a performer only has three solo albums, omitting one of them altogether is a real shame. Personally, I really like that album (I'm a big fan of Christine's early blues music) and I think having nothing to represent that music is a terrible oversight.

If this has already been addressed elsewhere, if someone could direct me to that discussion I'd appreciate it.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, she was asked about what she thought of that album in the recent Uncut interview, and here’s her response:

Oh god, do I have to say? (Laughs) I think it’s pretty rum. When I listen to it now — which is pretty seldom — I don’t get what I was doing at all. I think I was inexperienced at songwriting and too inexperienced to hold a whole solo album on my own. There are a couple of good songs on there, but most of them are pretty mediocre. But you’ve just got to keep on trying and at some point you will come out with something you like, so if I’m feeling charitable about it, I could say at least it was part of the learning process.

So it seems she didn’t think there was much of anything on there worth including. But yeah, you’d think she could pick out one tune just for completeness’s sake.

To me the much bigger mystery, and one no one has specifically asked her about, is why in the heck she would leave off her two Top 40 hits.

P.S. Definition of “rum” in British slang: strange, odd, suspect, funny.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinker12 View Post
Well, she was asked about what she thought of that album in the recent Uncut interview, and here’s her response:

Oh god, do I have to say? (Laughs) I think it’s pretty rum. When I listen to it now — which is pretty seldom — I don’t get what I was doing at all. I think I was inexperienced at songwriting and too inexperienced to hold a whole solo album on my own. There are a couple of good songs on there, but most of them are pretty mediocre. But you’ve just got to keep on trying and at some point you will come out with something you like, so if I’m feeling charitable about it, I could say at least it was part of the learning process.

So it seems she didn’t think there was much of anything on there worth including. But yeah, you’d think she could pick out one tune just for completeness’s sake.

To me the much bigger mystery, and one no one has specifically asked her about, is why in the heck she would leave off her two Top 40 hits.

P.S. Definition of “rum” in British slang: strange, odd, suspect, funny.
Yeah, she’s a tough critic of that.

But “No Road” and “I Want You” are still hot.
Old 07-01-2022, 07:32 AM

She did acknowledge that a lot of people like the album. I look back at some of my art, writings, comps from my 20's and I sometimes cringe too. I wonder if that's the case here.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
She did acknowledge that a lot of people like the album. I look back at some of my art, writings, comps from my 20's and I sometimes cringe too. I wonder if that's the case here.
This does happen to artists a lot. But Christine has been bad mouthing that solo album since its 1976 reissue, when she told the press she was embarrassed by it and wished it would just go away.