User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-27-2022, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Default The Tango sessions were this bad?

We know the struggles Lindsey went through during the making of this album. But I will cut and paste this from wikipedia with sources. We know Lindsey faked Stevie's voice in several areas. However, were we not led to believe it was because of Stevie's absence? Apparently Stevie showed up intoxicated and her vocals were so bad that Lindsey deleted them after she left. Mick admits he forced Lindsey to make Tango and has regrets that no one was listening to him when he was trying to speak. Now it makes sense because during the reissue of Tango, I have always said that Stevie sounds drunk on Ooh My Love. There were no good demos of hers that came from these sessions. Its clear Lindsey had standards and what Stevie got away with in the studio during RAL (quality of sound) was not going to damage this record. Its also no surprise why her songs are so bad on this record.

*****cut and pasted****

Although the record eighteen months to complete, Stevie Nicks spent a total of two weeks in the studio with the band, as she was promoting her third solo record, Rock a Little, throughout this period. Nicks sent demos of her songs to the band, recorded while she was on tour, for them to work on in her absence. "Welcome to the Room... Sara" was inspired by her thirty-day stay at the Betty Ford Center to overcome her cocaine addiction in October 1986 (Nicks used the pseudonym "Sara Anderson" when she checked into the facility).[16][17][18]

When Nicks did go to the studio, she often felt unmotivated: "I can remember going up there and not being happy to even be there... I didn't go very often". With vocal sessions taking place in Buckingham's master bedroom, Nicks recorded her parts for Buckingham and McVie's songs intoxicated. Given their poor quality, Buckingham was forced to erase most of Nicks' vocals from these recording sessions after she left the studio.[19]

Buckingham recorded some of the vocals using a Fairlight, an early sampling synthesizer.[20] On "When I See You Again", he re-assembled separately recorded takes of Nicks, explaining, "I had to pull performances out of words and lines and make parts that sounded like her that weren't her".[8] "That was in my estimation when everybody in the band was personally at their worst. By the time we did Tango in the Night, everybody was leading their lives in a way that they would not be too proud of today".[21]

With pressure on Buckingham to keep the project focused and moving forward, things came to a head shortly after the release of Tango in the Night. At a band meeting at Christine McVie's house to discuss the accompanying tour, he announced his departure. "The album was well received", noted Mick Fleetwood. He continued, "Somewhat sadly, the kudos of that was never really fully attributed to Lindsey because he wasn't present... He was coerced and persuaded to do that album—mainly by me. And, to his credit, he put aside everything that he'd dreamt of doing, including making his own album, for Fleetwood Mac, but then realised that he'd made a mistake... Lindsey was not being heard. We just didn't get it".[22]

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-27-2022 at 01:25 PM..