Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-01-2003, 08:15 PM
Ledgie

Default Guitar Question- Say Goodbye

Has anybody figured out the chords yet for Say Goodbye (or anything remotely guitar like with it)? I played around with it for a brief period of time last night, and I think it starts with alternating C and C7 chords, but I'm not sure... also, I have a hunch that he might be using something of a different tuning; maybe drop-d or dadgbd tuning? Anyone have any ideas??

I hope you all can help, because I'd really like to play this song.

Thanks all,

Adam R.

PS: I think it would be cool if all of us Fleetwood Mac guitar players were to start a web page that we all do together of guitar tabs and chords, etc., as a big reference guide. What do you all think? AR
Old 10-01-2003, 10:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Here's a copy of my post in the Rumours Forum

Quote:
Originally posted by larg
Has anybody figured out the chords yet for Say Goodbye (or anything remotely guitar like with it)? I played around with it for a brief period of time last night, and I think it starts with alternating C and C7 chords, but I'm not sure... also, I have a hunch that he might be using something of a different tuning; maybe drop-d or dadgbd tuning? Anyone have any ideas??

I hope you all can help, because I'd really like to play this song.

Thanks all,

Adam R.

PS: I think it would be cool if all of us Fleetwood Mac guitar players were to start a web page that we all do together of guitar tabs and chords, etc., as a big reference guide. What do you all think? AR
Which version are you trying to play....the original Gift Of Screws version, or the SYW version?

I have the original version pretty much worked out. i.e. I play the actual fingerpicked notes that Lindsey plays...and I have no idea what chords some of the phrases represent but I guess I could figure the names out if I use one of my chord books (one of the disadvantages of not ever having a single music lesson!). I was slightly shocked when I read that he was dropping the G down a step to "make the song work" because I'm playing the same notes as him using simple drop-D tuning. Having said that, I'm doing some pretty tough stretches at some points during the song so I guess he's found an easier way to play it (I should've payed more attention during the concert!lol! Still got 5 more chances though!).

To play along to the verses (or "intro".) of the original version, use Drop-D tuning and fingerpick these chords to the same rhythm, speed and sequence that LB does:

D x
A 0
D 2
G 2
B 1
E x

D 0
A x
D 4
G 2
B 1
E x

D 5
A x
D 0
G 0
B 0
E x

Like I said, in light of the info. re: LB using that weird "G dropped down a step" tuning, this obviously cannot be the same way he personally plays it, but unless I've become horribly tonedeaf, the notes are the same.

As for a website, yea, I thought about that ages ago and it would be an awesome thing if it actually happened, but the main problem is actually getting all the songs into tab form. I can play every song on the SYW album and I'd be more than happy to help out anyone if they're stuck on a particular part, but I know I'm too lazy (and really do not have the time) to sit down and work out and type up the tabs for each and every song! Maybe I could act as one of the "consultants" for the site,lol!