Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-12-2021, 02:58 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default "Street Angel" album discussion podcast

What happens when you mix 1994, crimped hair, David Crosby, Bob Dylan, and a laundromat? Street Angel of course. And we talked about it for three and a half hours!

Dig in!

https://youtu.be/fgqLGiQ6FjM
Old 05-12-2021, 07:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks again Jeremy for having me on. It was 3 and a half hours of laughter and learning a few new things. I try to be informative myself. I am ready for the next one.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It may not be the most beloved album of Stevie's career, but listen to the voice on the tour, and the album for that matter- House of Blues for example, the strength and tone is incredible. She turns in consistently wonderful vocals. Early 90's from the BTM tour to Rick Vito's solo album, were among the best of her career, so strong and smooth. I'm in the camp of loving the album despite its flaws. Two or three bad song choices and poorly placed background vocals which are annoying. Blue Denim, Greta, Kick It and Listen to the Rain are all great, part of the vocal on the title track is quite good. Docklands was just not the right song for her and Love is Like a River needed serious work to make it the great song that lied beneath the poor performance. I don't get the hate for Just Like A Woman- she is clear voiced and smooth throughout. Alicia on the forum made an excellent point about Jane, with the amazing chorus she could've blended in several strong Janes beside Goodall- Wyman, Mansfield, the Jane in the Starship song et al to make a great tribute to the amazing Janes throughout history and thus not worry about the forgotten chimpanzee as Jane Goodall made sure they weren't forgotten.

Last edited by On Ice; 05-13-2021 at 10:30 AM..
Old 05-13-2021, 10:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Honourable mention goes to the 1992 Mirror Mirror, just epic and would've raised Street Angel's profile for sure.
Old 05-13-2021, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love the discussions and watched all 3.5 hours of this one. As for SA, to me the album is a kind of ramshackle collection of songs, some of which are really odd choices. Unlike some I do not like much of the production, Destiny for example could have been lovely but what's with the herky jerky rhythm? I do not really have a favourite from the album.
Old 05-13-2021, 05:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Cant wait to listen to this. I am in the minority but I really appreciate Street Angel and love half the songs. YES! I love Love is like a River, Greta, Listen to the rain, Maybe Love will change your mind, and (wait for it)...........Jane! I like Blue Denim and Rose Garden too.

No No No. There's no beauty and the beast here! But there is a laundromat and a chimpanzee. But it's alright, alright. Take some time and listen to the rain. I truly wonder what Greta would say.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 05-14-2021 at 04:15 AM..
Old 05-13-2021, 07:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Cant wait to listen to this. I am in the minority but I really appreciate Street Angel and love half the songs. YES! I love Love is like a River, Greta, Listen to the rain, Maybe Love will change your mind, and (wait for it)...........Jane! I like Blue Denim and Rose Garden too.

No No No. There's no beauty and the beast here!
I like Jane too. A very Stevie tribute to Jane Goodall. Come away from the wall, Jane, come away if you can.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Another reason I like the album is much of it is guitar based. Its almost back to Bella Donna roots. The Wild Heart took a turn of giving the guitar a back seat and keyboards were the driving force of the album. On RAL drums took a back seat while the drum machine took over. OTSOTM was a bounce back but definitely also had an 80's synth vibe. Street Angel is a back to the roots album with guitars, real drums, and even some country feel to some of the songs. Stevie rocks on a few songs too. This is the last album and tour for the classic Stevie rasp sound. It was still good for Timespace but got flat and nasal.
Because it was not much of a commercial success Stevie hates it and so do many others. I rarely like when Stevie sings other people's songs. Maybe only liking SDMHA but I really like Maybe Love Will Change Your Mind. She really puts heart into it and its very authentic IMHO. The music is fine too. Its like a bouncy ballad. Shocked it never even cracked the top 40. I do appreciate Stevie stuck to her roots and did not venture out into the current pop of the moment like she did for RAL. Could you imagine an Ace of Base version of Street Angel
I dont care for Unconditional Love. Its not a Stevie song and not worthy of this album let alone the prime real estate of first song, second side. I read once this was supposed to be the first single. I really dislike the song to almost hating it. I also dont care for the Bob Dylan remake Just Like A Woman. The title track is meh. Its rare when Stevie sings about social causes. Its a worthy attempt but not in the winning circle. Kick it needs more "kick" for me to like it. Its mediocre at best. Destiny is ok. Docklands is ok. Not sure why people freak out over the word laundromat
I wish I got to see this tour because her band was excellent and she rocked. I had just moved to West Palm Beach and while never officially announced, the next leg of the tour was supposed to be south and go through Florida. There was a brand new theater in downtown called the Kravis theater she was supposed to play 2 nights. Good gosh Stevie playing small theaters. But that never happened and she was pissed with her weight, lack of success of sales, and concert venues. But it was the tour to see IMHO. For the first time maybe ever, Stevie not performing under the influence and IMHO, it showed.

Now for my cheezy memory. When I got this album, I had just moved into a small 1 bedroom apt and from the balcony it had this small lake view. I would tell myself, oooh, I've got a movie star view.

My favorite lyrics from the album are from Love is like a river. It starts out so confrontational and I love it. Nothing in your life changes and its a smart ass crack at herself .....you must have many things to remember.....everything in your life is the same and does not change. LOVE THESE LINES. I relate to them especially when someone calls you wild and you reply "Compared to what lifestyle?"

You used to call me wicked
I used to call you friend
They say your life is wild
Compared to what... lifestyle
You must have many things... to remember
Cause nothing else in your life has really changed
Everything is almost... like it was before
And I don't want to do this... anymore

Last edited by Macfan4life; 05-14-2021 at 07:02 AM..
Old 05-14-2021, 08:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post

My favorite lyrics from the album are from Love is like a river. It starts out so confrontational and I love it. Nothing in your life changes and its a smart ass crack at herself .....you must have many things to remember.....everything in your life is the same and does not change. LOVE THESE LINES. I relate to them especially when someone calls you wild and you reply "Compared to what lifestyle?"
Love is Like A River's previous incarnation was in I Call You Missing (which also has lyrics from Whole Lotta Trouble).