User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-01-2021, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
The piano/B3 combo is probably the best keyboard work to ever come out of FM. I've been working on it for a couple weeks. Honky tonk piano with my right hand, and playing organ with my left.

It IS a genius tune!!!
Absolutely!!!!
Old 03-01-2021, 11:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Agree, the music is perfection. But it's a different story for her. (for a change)
Hey, I need someone to pad my purse! car, whiskey, fur coats, etc.

I think it's a cool peak inside Christine's devilish ways. It's absolutely a genius tune, in my opinion. The early take has the amazing keyboard/organ work more prominent. I even like the vocal better on the early take.
And for all these years I thought she was singing about the candy bar
Old 03-01-2021, 11:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think I hate it simply because it feels to live up to SYLM & OMH and is a disappointment in comparison. And keep in mind I don’t appreciate music the way so many of you do. So a great piano section is lost on me. I fall for a hook and while Sugar Daddy is lively, it’s not contagious. I don’t bop sling to it and I miss the emotion that I enjoy so much in even SYLM. SYLM is a light song. On the surface, it isn’t even about dejection or rejection. But I feel it anyway. There’s an underlying message that says “I’m letting myself be used. He’s not fooling me, but I’m enjoying the ride anyway.” I guess I don’t get that layering in Sugar Daddy.

And you guys will say Family Man is a great song instrumentally. But instruments do nothing for me in that way They don’t say Popeye and they don’t save Sugar Daddy for me.

I think I had greater expectations for Sugar Daddy being on the white album than I would have if it was on Tusk where I don’t like most of Christine’s songs anyway. I probably would consider a pick me up for her on Tusk, not a let down. Keep in mind, I didn’t get the entire album until years after its release. So I already knew two of her songs from that album. I also knew and loved Rhiannon and I went to the unknown Sugar Daddy with excitement hoping it would be just as good because it was going to be something “new” for me and then I didn’t think it was any good. I had a resentment. And no, I don’t like the lyrics, either.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I think I hate it simply because it feels to live up to SYLM & OMH and is a disappointment in comparison. And keep in mind I don’t appreciate music the way so many of you do. So a great piano section is lost on me. I fall for a hook and while Sugar Daddy is lively, it’s not contagious. I don’t bop sling to it and I miss the emotion that I enjoy so much in even SYLM. SYLM is a light song. On the surface, it isn’t even about dejection or rejection. But I feel it anyway. There’s an underlying message that says “I’m letting myself be used. He’s not fooling me, but I’m enjoying the ride anyway.” I guess I don’t get that layering in Sugar Daddy.

And you guys will say Family Man is a great song instrumentally. But instruments do nothing for me in that way They don’t say Popeye and they don’t save Sugar Daddy for me.

I think I had greater expectations for Sugar Daddy being on the white album than I would have if it was on Tusk where I don’t like most of Christine’s songs anyway. I probably would consider a pick me up for her on Tusk, not a let down. Keep in mind, I didn’t get the entire album until years after its release. So I already knew two of her songs from that album. I also knew and loved Rhiannon and I went to the unknown Sugar Daddy with excitement hoping it would be just as good because it was going to be something “new” for me and then I didn’t think it was any good. I had a resentment. And no, I don’t like the lyrics, either.
Wow. I wonder if it's a musician thing? That maybe we're the only ones that get it?

And we're apparently opposites. The MUSIC is what does it for me. For the most part, I couldn't care less about the lyrics. Exactly why Think About Me is my favorite FM song. The music is absolutely perfect. It instantly puts me in a good mood!

The piano intro for Sugar Daddy, followed by the organ kicking in, IS THE ULTIMATE FM GROOVE.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Wow. I wonder if it's a musician thing? That maybe we're the only ones that get it?

And we're apparently opposites. The MUSIC is what does it for me. For the most part, I couldn't care less about the lyrics. Exactly why Think About Me is my favorite FM song. The music is absolutely perfect. It instantly puts me in a good mood!

The piano intro for Sugar Daddy, followed by the organ kicking in, IS THE ULTIMATE FM GROOVE.
Now that is true calling SD the ultimate FM groove.

It makes me want to get up and dance with my shawl every time.

When I first bought the White Album, it was one of my least favorite songs. It took a little while and grew on me. But its pure heaven both the track and lyrics.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:44 AM

I'll say that Sugar Daddy wasn't my favorite at first. But, after a while, I realized how amazing of a song it is. Especially, after hearing the early take.

Wish they'd done this live. It's a bit lyrically out of Christine's box.
No puns intended.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Yes to this. It’s not just the writing but the execution of the writing that is so impressive. And it’s her brilliant vocal.

Sugar Daddy is the perfect distillation of one side of Fleetwood Mac—the McVie R&B side.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Yes to this. It’s not just the writing but the execution of the writing that is so impressive. And it’s her brilliant vocal.

Sugar Daddy is the perfect distillation of one side of Fleetwood Mac—the McVie R&B side.
It's in the family of Spare Me, Homeward, SYLM, YMLF, and Friend
Old 03-02-2021, 11:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

So I think it's fair to say that Sugar Daddy is FM's most under appreciated song! By the majority of fans AND the band!

Those of us who are special, get it. Thank god we do!
Old 03-03-2021, 12:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

For me it’s the melody, vocal and lyrics. I mean, I am a fan of certain things like the Love Theme from St. Elmo’s fire, but rarely does instrumentation alone do anything for me. Hold Me might be an exception.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think I hate it simply because it feels to live up to SYLM & OMH and is a disappointment in comparison.
See, that's what's funny. I love it so much more than SYLM OR OMH. For me, it's a tie for which is my favorite song on White. It's either World Turning or Sugar Daddy. I never tire of either.

Edit- and THANK YOU for getting the Ledge back up and running. It was down all day.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Edit- and THANK YOU for getting the Ledge back up and running. It was down all day.
Was not me. I didn’t even know it was down.
Old 03-03-2021, 02:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Was not me. I didn’t even know it was down.
Wow. I got an error message all day. Until maybe 90 minutes ago. I figured you tried to log on, then fixed whatever was wrong. Thanks anyway.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Wow. I got an error message all day. Until maybe 90 minutes ago. I figured you tried to log on, then fixed whatever was wrong. Thanks anyway.
It was down for a bit yesterday. Not too long, however.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
It was down for a bit yesterday. Not too long, however.
Says you!

Seemed like an eternity!