Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Baseball won't be the same without Cox

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/B...m-field-101110

Baseball won't be the same without Cox

The T-shirts hanging on the rack in the lobby of the hotel across the street from Turner Field proclaimed "Coxtober."

The signage above the awning of the center field concession stand simply read "11 for 6," a reference to the 11 wins the Braves needed in the postseason to reward No. 6, retiring manager Bobby Cox, with a second world championship.

Outta here
Bobby Cox has been ejected from more games than anyone in MLB history. At the end of this season, he'll exit of his own free will — by retiring. Look back at his impressive career here.

The hopes, however, turned into disappointment on Monday night.

The end came prematurely — if after 51 years in uniform anything can be considered premature.

A Braves team that became special to Cox because of the way it battled through injuries to claim the NL wild-card was eliminated in four games by San Francisco in the best-of-5 National League Division Series.

And then reality hit the stoic Cox, whose competitiveness is obvious by the fact he was ejected more times (158) than any manager in the history of the game, but whose personality was underscored by the fact that none of the 158 had the drama to make them memorable like a Lou Piniella-base-throwing or Earl Weaver dirt-kicking.

Facing the media in the aftermath of the 3-2 loss that was to mark his departure from the managerial job, Cox tried to keep it cool.

"It is hard to believe it’s the last time I will put (the uniform) on, but it is," he said, his voice suddenly breaking, and he muttered, "a grown man shouldn’t do this."

But nobody cared if Cox’s eyes teared up.

He earned the right in a 29-year managerial career — a four-year stint in Toronto interrupting his 25 years with Atlanta — that saw him win more games (2,504) than everyone who had ever managed except for Connie Mack, John McGraw and Tony La Russa.

He took Toronto to the first postseason in its history in 1985, guided the Braves to a pro sports record 14 consecutive division titles (1991-2005) and then made his managerial record 16th postseason appearance this month.

A baseball lifer
"We knew this was inevitable, we had time to prepare for it, but I don’t think any of us were ready for it," said Atlanta President John Schuerholz, who came from Kansas City to be replace Cox as the Braves general manager when Cox returned to the dugout in 1990. "He was a great leader. He was so much of what this franchise stands for. You don’t replace a guy like that."

But there is a need to honor a guy like that. Even in the disappointment of their team’s elimination, not only did the fans at Turner Field coax Cox into a curtain call, but Giants players, in the midst of an on-field celebration for winning the Division Series, stopped and joined in applauding the manager in the opposition’s dugout.

"Anybody who has been in this game wants to pay their respect to Bobby," said Giants manager Bruce Bochy. "It’s going to be strange to come here next year and Bobby Cox won’t be managing the team. I’ve always looked up to him, not just how he manages the game, but his team, how professional they are. They are always in uniform. They play the game right."

Cox seemed embarrassed by the commotion.

"I saw them," he said. "I gave them a thumbs up."

A third baseman signed by the Los Angeles Dodgers in 1959, Cox spent eight years in the minor leagues with the Dodgers, Atlanta and Chicago Cubs before being acquired by the Yankees, who took him to the big leagues in 1968 and 1969 only to have his achy knees bring a premature ending to his playing career.

The Yankees, though, liked what they had in Cox and persuaded him to get into field management, a decision he never regretted.

Retiring types
A job in baseball is about the best work a guy can get. Still, for every player, manager or umpire, the time comes to step away from the game.

"It’s been a good ride," he said.

So good that there were many who really wondered if the ride would ever end as long as Cox was breathing and walking. He loves NASCAR and plays an occasional round of golf, but his life is baseball.

At home games he could be found seven hours before first pitch, in a small room off the dugout, having a cigar and watching the weather map.

On the road he would spend the early afternoon sitting on the bench.

Even in the postseason, the habits were hard to break.

Nearly seven hours before the first pitch in Game 1 of the NLDS he was walking the steps at AT&T Park in San Francisco, and once that part of the day’s activity was completed he could be found sitting in the stands, high enough to see over the right field wall and get a view of the serenity of the bay.

The Braves have given Cox a five-year contract as a special assistant to general manager Frank Wren.

"What you have to understand is you don’t replace a guy like that," said Schuerholz said. "This is a sad day for the game. … Suddenly we lose and you have the worse realization, that this is his last game as a manager.

"Thank God we are still going to have him around. He belongs here."

And the folks in Atlanta made Cox feel welcome even when he was telling them goodbye.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."

Last edited by estranged4life; 10-13-2010 at 06:36 PM..
Old 10-13-2010, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Bobby Cox is a legend. Before him, the Braves were just awful...finishing last or next to last for like 20 years.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Giants up...

2-1 in the Series with the Phillies, by winning game 3 by the score 3-0.

Let's see if the Rangers can go up 3-1 on the Yanks tonight in N.Y.

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 10-20-2010, 08:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't recall a period in my life when the Yankee bullpen has ever been considered "good" and they seem to love reiterating that reputation. Ugggggh.

Granted, the offense was pretty lame last night as well. Way too many men left on base.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink Well...

at least I have the Rangers to keep my mind occupied during this dreadful week of October...And to all those who thought the Rangers would've choked to the Yanks (This is the first time in a LONG time I'm not cheering for the Yanks in the ALCS) by now, I send you the following:

Old 10-20-2010, 09:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

As a big, lifelong Yankee fan, I won't be crying if they don't make it to the World Series. Besides, I got the best reason in the book: I can't physically watch it.

In case you're wondering, my cable provider, Cablevision, got into a huge fight with News Corp and with that, all Fox channels have been blocked, including WNYW, the New York Fox channel that I would have watched the World Series on.

Besides, rabbit ears or antenna would do no good (out here, you pick up Connecticut stations), I heard about my uncle in Queens having too many problems with his dish (and with the winds we get out here, it'd be blown right off the house), and Fios isn't in my area yet, so I'll just have to suffer.

You can add me on Facebook
Old 10-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up I don't own...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLoki View Post
As a big, lifelong Yankee fan, I won't be crying if they don't make it to the World Series. Besides, I got the best reason in the book: I can't physically watch it.

In case you're wondering, my cable provider, Cablevision, got into a huge fight with News Corp and with that, all Fox channels have been blocked, including WNYW, the New York Fox channel that I would have watched the World Series on.

Besides, rabbit ears or antenna would do no good (out here, you pick up Connecticut stations), I heard about my uncle in Queens having too many problems with his dish (and with the winds we get out here, it'd be blown right off the house), and Fios isn't in my area yet, so I'll just have to suffer.
either a satellite dish nor a TV, and I found ways to watch the games via Stream Torrent - Maybe not the most perfect way sometimes, but it beats nothing.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

The Cablevision drama is one of the VERY minimal reasons that I'm glad I don't have cable. I use a digital convertor box and have no problem watching the major networks (all New York affiliates). Of course, I'm also cursing not having cable because I've been having to figure out how to watch the ALCS all week, since I can't get TBS. So far, I've visited my parents in CT, physically gone to a game, gone to a bar and used my work's breakroom TV. Friday'll be back to the bar, God willing!

But yeah, it's a silly investment when I'm sure Cablevision will break eventually, but if you wanted to spring for a digital convertor box and rabbit ears, you'd definitely be able to get the came on Fox.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucklind17 View Post
The Cablevision drama is one of the VERY minimal reasons that I'm glad I don't have cable. I use a digital convertor box and have no problem watching the major networks (all New York affiliates). Of course, I'm also cursing not having cable because I've been having to figure out how to watch the ALCS all week, since I can't get TBS. So far, I've visited my parents in CT, physically gone to a game, gone to a bar and used my work's breakroom TV. Friday'll be back to the bar, God willing!

But yeah, it's a silly investment when I'm sure Cablevision will break eventually, but if you wanted to spring for a digital convertor box and rabbit ears, you'd definitely be able to get the came on Fox.
It could work, but since I'm a bit far out (as in exit 62 on the LIE), I heard that I'd be getting CT stations rather than NY stations, so that'd be fun lol.

As for now, I'd probably grin and bear it, but since you're in Queens, wouldn't your cable be from Time Warner?

Old 10-20-2010, 07:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It could work, but since I'm a bit far out (as in exit 62 on the LIE), I heard that I'd be getting CT stations rather than NY stations, so that'd be fun lol.

As for now, I'd probably grin and bear it, but since you're in Queens, wouldn't your cable be from Time Warner?
Yeah, my area does have Time Warner but I do know people in the area that have Cablevision as well. I remember a LOT of issues when they pulled this last year with the Oscars.

On topic, yay for a Yankee win today! If they can keep this up, we might still have a chance. Sucks that Teixiera is done for the series though, even if he hadn't been doing much with the bat, he's great to have on the field.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, my area does have Time Warner but I do know people in the area that have Cablevision as well. I remember a LOT of issues when they pulled this last year with the Oscars.

On topic, yay for a Yankee win today! If they can keep this up, we might still have a chance. Sucks that Teixiera is done for the series though, even if he hadn't been doing much with the bat, he's great to have on the field.
I saw Curtis Granderson's homer before leaving. While watching the TBS coverage, they mentioned how in 96 (hope you're reading this Sara) that the Braves were trailing 3-1 against the Cardinals and made a comeback to get the NLCS that year, so there's hope.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I saw Curtis Granderson's homer before leaving. While watching the TBS coverage, they mentioned how in 96 (hope you're reading this Sara) that the Braves were trailing 3-1 against the Cardinals and made a comeback to get the NLCS that year, so there's hope.
Not that I really want to remember it, but there's also the 2004 ALCS when the Red Sox came back to beat the Yankees and they were down 3-o. To quote Rocky, "Nothing is over!"
Old 10-20-2010, 07:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Not that I really want to remember it, but there's also the 2004 ALCS when the Red Sox came back to beat the Yankees and they were down 3-o. To quote Rocky, "Nothing is over!"
Or to quote Yogi, "It ain't over till it's over!"

Old 10-21-2010, 02:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile I'm so nervous!

But I know if any team can come from behind & win it all, it's the Phillies. I've seen them in action, so I know they can do it.

GOOOOOOOO PHILLIES!!

Lee
Old 10-21-2010, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
As a Red Sox fan, that was probably the single greatest moment of my life. To slay the dragon in front of their fans is something I'll never forget!