Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Fleetwood Mac's Songbird: Christine McVie

Just finished watching this programme. It was okay. It was lovely to have a documentary focusing on Christine, its just a shame it didn't focus on her a bit more. Much of this programme was just a retreading of the history of Fleetwood Mac. Every now and then the makers of the programme remembered it was supposed to be about Christine and brought her back in and played more of her music.

Once again its a shame they didn't focus more on the Bob Welch years. They talked a bit about Bob and mentioned how Chris harmonized with him so well. Sadly none of her music from this period was played.

Stevie made regular contributions; Humorously she mimicked Chris' English accent a couple of times and sounded (and looked) like the Queen.

Irritatingly Neil Finn and Mike Campbell made significant contributions- 'dudes, you've known her for , like, 2 years!!!!'
Neil did comment on her songwriting and mentioned they'd only recently been working on a song together. Perhaps some new music will come out of this incarnation of the band after all.

The images from the Buckingham McVie period were a beautiful reminder of that time. She broke my heart a bit though by saying how great Lindsey was but then callously saying it had to be done and how great it was on stage with the current band. So sad they had to make a programme about Christine McVie with no contribution from Lindsey.

Overall, I'd say there was pretty much nothing new in this documentary. I was hoping for more detail. I'd like to have heard about her relationship with Martin Birch. I'd have liked to have heard from Curry Grant himself. I'd liked to have heard more about exactly what she did in her time away from the band (I don't think they even mentioned In The Meantime).

I did like her description of herself as 'The Queen of the Hook'. Perhaps the biggest take-away from this was full confirmation from the horses mouth (as it were) that Over My Head was definitely 100% written about Lindsey.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood

Last edited by FuzzyPlum; 09-20-2019 at 05:16 PM..
Old 09-20-2019, 06:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can see it now. All the SN cult members will take the bit about Over My Head as proof that he was abusive and temperamental back then. And it justifies his firing.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Regarding Over My Head, did Chris have a crush on Lindsey?
Old 09-21-2019, 11:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethemac1 View Post
Regarding Over My Head, did Chris have a crush on Lindsey?
She intimated she did, yes.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 09-21-2019, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
She intimated she did, yes.
Very interesting....I wonder if that was ever acted on in the Rumours days?
Old 09-21-2019, 02:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethemac1 View Post
Very interesting....I wonder if that was ever acted on in the Rumours days?
my bet was always that it was - some time in 70s or 80s, because if nothing else they were all so drunk and high and uninhibited. it would be almost improbable that they never did. Christine has been clear over the years that she had a crush on Lindsey at some points. shippers would just always drown this as impossible.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 09-21-2019, 11:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don’t like to think that they have slept together, but I’ve always loved their familiarity and particularly when it gets physical. I like when they touch, touch hair, kiss or stare at each other. Always have. My Dance bootlegs are all boxed up now, but on the label outside of the case I would always write down how intimate Lindsey and Chris got for the final bow, in case wanted to watch that bit over!

But I lived SnL very, very much as well.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The doc was good. Could have been great had there been more focus on Christine’s vocal and instrumental abilities. Not one mention of IN THE MEANTIME, which is absurd. The entire doc centered on her as an entity of the band, as someone whose sense of self is connected inextricably to the band. Fair enough, but where was the song writing award mention (Ivor Morello?)? That I believe was as much responsible for her reemergence as her overcoming the fear of flying.

Loved the earlier coverage, and then the brief but cool footage of the band recording the HEROES soundboard stuff. Love, too, the footage of the Hold Me video and later the footage of her singing with Mick’s blues band in Maui.

Tired of Stevie’s bs stories about them forming a pact and tired of her condescending imitation of Christine’s voice.

Dennis and Curry and Eddie—but no Martin Birch!

Loved the snippet of Christine playing a Sony Thompson-blues passage on the piano.

Some of the best insights regarding Christine’s voice come, ironically, from Neil Fynn.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Tired of Stevie’s bs stories about them forming a pact and tired of her condescending imitation of Christine’s voice.
yup! so condescending and belittling to Christine. Christine won Melody Maker award for pioneering woman 10 years before she ever met Stevie. she was a respected musician and vocalist and didn't need Stevie to tell her what to do, but Stevie may have needed Christine's support and help.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 09-24-2019, 01:29 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
yup! so condescending and belittling to Christine. Christine won Melody Maker award for pioneering woman 10 years before she ever met Stevie. she was a respected musician and vocalist and didn't need Stevie to tell her what to do, but Stevie may have needed Christine's support and help.
And had already been a force within that very band for YEARS before Stevie joined anyway. She didn't need back up.
Old 09-25-2019, 12:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeets2000 View Post
And had already been a force within that very band for YEARS before Stevie joined anyway. She didn't need back up.
and really Chris was they key to Stevie getting in the band, not Lindsey. If Chris had said nah, Lindsey was out as well unless he was willing to give up Stevie. Chris had the veto power.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
and really Chris was they key to Stevie getting in the band, not Lindsey. If Chris had said nah, Lindsey was out as well unless he was willing to give up Stevie. Chris had the veto power.
And how ironic is that jump forward 40 years, and she could have had veto power again, but chose not to use it. Instead, she bailed big time and left Lindsey hanging in the wind.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You will find the serial killer on orange grove. Beware.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
You will find the serial killer on orange grove. Beware.
During the Interviews, I remember someone asking the whole band what the deal with the Orange Grove was. And Christine laughed and said, "Stevie and Lindsey." I never knew what that meant.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
During the Interviews, I remember someone asking the whole band what the deal with the Orange Grove was. And Christine laughed and said, "Stevie and Lindsey." I never knew what that meant.
Step into the velvet of the orange...