Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-10-2003, 11:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Lightbulb I'm still unabashedly optimistic for a GOS solo album

I've had two sets of songs in my mind from the GOS demos...the ones I wanted to har on the Mac album, and the ones I wanted him to save for the eventual solo masterpiece. When I read the set list for SYW, I was mostly happy because some of the Lindsey songs I thought would sound good with the Mac sound/Stevie were picked (like Miranda, Steal Your Heart Away, Peacekeeper, Murrow) but also disappointed because others weren't (Twist Of Fate, The Singer Not The Song and of course Down On Rodeo... that omission I really don't understand ). But I also thought there are so many AMAZING songs left over, though I'd hate to call them leftovers even though they are, lol. I am looking forward to this solo album even more now, and yes, it WILL happen (like I said, unabashedly optimistic here)...I am looking forward it more now because I really feel like after trying out some of these songs with the Mac, Lindsey might take a different/renewed approach to some of them...Not that any of them should be changed, but since we've been listening to them for over a year now, it would be cool to hear some new versions of these songs we love. Plus, not that he cares about this, but if he does what he should have done after the Dance and released a solo album shortly after a successful mac album (the way Stevie did with Enchanted) it will get maximum attention/exposure and probably sell better than it would have if he released it back in 2000. Linds knows his true fans will buy his music at any time and doesn't do this for fame and $$$, as we know... But the record company might see SYW as a golden opportunity to launch GOS and light a fire under his butt if he's the one who's stopping them from putting it out. Or if it's been their fault all along, then they'll stop being @$$holes and release/promote it!
-Sonia
"So I close my eyes softly... till I become that part of the wind that we all long for sometimes. And to those that I love like a ghost through a fog, like a charmed hour and a haunted song, and the angel... of my dreams"

"All alone we suffer. Oh, to steal your heart away."
Old 02-10-2003, 12:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by hayley
The lyric is definitely "sons," not "suns"- it's rather brutal imagery, but "suns" doesn't fit- "we make all of our sons the same" does not work with "suns"- and the word "sons" is continued throughout the lyrics.
Yes, I was wondering the same. "Suns" works on other levels, but in that specific context, it does make sense that it is "sons." I think it is intended to be that graphic and shocking. It evokes "Fortunate Son" in that respect, for me, and does take me to a war scenario. Pre-9/11 there were still a number of conflicts to choose from, whether it's a look back to Vietnam or something more recent that dominated the news when he may have been writing it, like the fighting and ethnic cleansing in Bosnia.
Old 02-10-2003, 04:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thanks for pointing me to the thread, Carne!

My initial gut reaction is that "making all our sons the same" is a reference to soldiers in uniform. And while them "exploding just the same" certainly is a violent image, it's also a little cavalier, which I think may refer to the cavalier way it seems countries go to war...

Just this reporter's opinion...

Take on the situation but not the torment
Old 02-14-2003, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sugar
Thanks for pointing me to the thread, Carne!

My initial gut reaction is that "making all our sons the same" is a reference to soldiers in uniform. And while them "exploding just the same" certainly is a violent image, it's also a little cavalier, which I think may refer to the cavalier way it seems countries go to war...

Just this reporter's opinion...
I'm still having a hard time wrapping my mind around that one. Call me Thomas, but is there an official version of the lyrics somewhere? I'm still going to hold out hope that is "suns." If it turns out to be "sons," why, I don't think I'll be able to listen to the song... Eh, just kidding.

Come to think of it, doesn't "Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind" have some pretty violent images too? Perhaps we should all start worrying about our boy Lindsey' stability?
Old 02-14-2003, 03:41 PM
Senior Ledgie

I hate when people read farther into things than it appears to me that they should, but I'm going to go ahead and say that I think the children mentioned in Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind are a metaphor. For what? I can't quite say. But it just seems a little too out in left-field to be taken literally to me. Eh, just what I think.
-Brian
Old 02-15-2003, 10:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Call me Thomas, but is there an official version of the lyrics somewhere?
Hey Thomas, I don't think there are official versions of any of the lyrics yet.

Speaking of interpretations I must say I was totally shocked when LB said in his GP interview that "Say Goodbye" was about leaving Fleetwood Mac! I was soooo sure that it was about somebody in particular, with prime suspects being an ex-girlfriend e.g. SN, CA-H or CC.

Old 02-19-2003, 06:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Say Goodbye!!!

My woman's instinct with Lindsey's life story
that we are aware of...make me conjure up a young
man's regret upon leaving the safety of his home
up north! He had left Miss Legs ...his pretty little
Highschool Sweetheart {prom picture!} knowing
who he was and what was expected of him!

He said Goodbye to all that comfort and security
and took off for LA with Stevie! But...if HE SAYS its
about the band...my over-active imagination failed
me again! Iam too dramatic at times! hahaha!Sky

Peacekeeper song ... Lindsey