Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-17-2003, 08:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question What do Lindsey's albums remind you of?

I know...wierd, stupid question, but what do you expect from ME! LOL

When I think of Law and Order...an insane asylum comes to mind...LOL Why? Because of the songs Bwana, That's How We Do It in LA, Mary Lee Jones and Johnny Stew mostly. Those songs are WACKED OUT CRAZY....and I love them to death, especially Bwana and Johnny Stew!! His vocals on Bwana and JS are a TRIP!!

When I think of Go Insane...ironically enough, I don't think of an insane asylum...LOL...I think of a carnival! LMAO!! That could be THOUGHT OF as an insane asylum of sorts..you know...The House of Mirrors and all the different fun houses and scary clowns (I HATE CLOWNS!!)..anywho...the music, especially in Bang the Drum just sounds like a carnival atmosphere to me.

When I think of OOTC...I think of vacation. I took the CD with me on my last two vacations, and it's so awesome to listen to when you are riding in the passenger's seat looking at the majestic mountains of Colorado or North Carolina...sigh....soothing and powerful.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

OOTC reminds me of the summertime when I was a little kid. I just got L&O a year ago so it doesn't remind me of anything, same with Go Insane.
Old 01-18-2003, 12:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: What do Lindsey's albums remind you of?

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
...the music, especially in Bang the Drum just sounds like a carnival atmosphere to me.
That is so true!!! I don't even have the album yet but Bang the Drum is one of the few tracks I have and my favourite. It's so like a Carnival!

OOTC (the album I DO own!!) reminds me of my dad! He plays acoustic guitar (Instr Intro ..) and he and I really connected over my appreciation for Lindsey, especially Never Going Back Again which is one of his favourite songs. When I got the OOTC CD we sat down and listened to it together and discussed it. So yeah - bonding all round lol! Thanks Lindsey!
Old 01-18-2003, 06:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey's albums remind me of moments and people in my life. For example, Law and Order reminds me of an old friend from high school. He kind of looked like Lindsey and he wanted to be a lawyer--hence the law & order collection. He also had the kind of relationship with his girlfriend in which "I should be saying goodnight" etc seemed to fit.

As for Go Insane, I remember hearing the title song in the car on the way home one evening. I also remember seeing the video (I chiefly remember goldfish, weren't there goldfish in that?). "I Want You" reminds me of working at a record store when I was young. My friend and I were listening to it and pointed out that there is a "sub-bass" sound at the beginning. I never listen to that song without thinking about that for some reason. "D.W. Suite" reminds me of some TV show in which they used that song for some running scene (I think it was Nothern Exposure).

Out of the cradle reminds me of May, the month it was released. "All My Sorrows" reminds me of Kurt Cobain. I've always viewed the lyrics of that song as being a suicide note and then there's that repition of "Nevermind"--Nirvana's big lp. "Turn It On" reminds me of my grandpa, who'd passed away about a year before.

As for some FM songs, the strongest memory I have is related to "Tusk." I heard it on the radio in '79 and instantly liked it. It was one of the songs I tracked down later, when I was in high school, and led me to my fanaticism for FM.

Well, that's enough for now.

John
Old 01-18-2003, 02:19 PM
thewhitewingedd
This message has been deleted by thewhitewingedd.
Old 01-19-2003, 04:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

(this goes for Stevie's albums and Chris' 1984 album, too)

They PAINFULLY and constantly remind me of all the great songs that could've been used for FLEETWOOD MAC albums that weren't made
Old 01-19-2003, 05:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
(this goes for Stevie's albums and Chris' 1984 album, too)

They PAINFULLY and constantly remind me of all the great songs that could've been used for FLEETWOOD MAC albums that weren't made
That is SO true - Im always thinking that when I hear Chris and Stevie solo hits, yet I'd never even thought of Lindsey's stuff. When you look at the Rolling Stones who have such a dense catalogue ... Lindsey's FM only had the 5 or 6. But thems the breaks with this group I guess.
.... There were no love tangles within the Rolling Stones!!
Old 01-20-2003, 07:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't listen to "Law And Order" that much so I don't really associate any imagery with it - I guess "Trouble" reminds me of the video for it, that's about it.

"Go Insane" is a totally different story. I think of different things when listening to each song, too much to start writing about, but the album just has triggers memories of the 80s for me left right and center! "Bang The Drum" has amazing "open spaceness" associated with it, and I agree about the carnival association too. "Play In The Rain" is one of the most atmospheric songs I've ever heard....I definitely think "night time" when I hear it. Same goes for "Loving Cup".

I do listen to OOTC a lot, but it doesn't really remind me of anything. It's so damn listenable I just start dreaming away to things that are on my mind at the time. Although, "This Is The Time" makes me wanna get into an F1 car and put my foot down...!!

Old 01-20-2003, 07:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by seteca
"Bang The Drum" has amazing "open spaceness" associated with it, and I agree about the carnival association too.

Originally posted by wondergirl9847
Bang the Drum just sounds like a carnival atmosphere to me.

Originally posted by DownOnRodeo
Bang the Drum is one of the few tracks I have and my favourite. It's so like a Carnival!

Anyone notice that the "carnival" sound of "Bang The Drum" is the identical riff from "Eyes Of The World" only slowed down?

Quote:
Originally posted by DownOnRodeo
There were no love tangles within the Rolling Stones!!
WHAT?!?!? You don't consider that little spat that Mick & Keith had back in the early '80's a "love tangle"????
Old 01-22-2003, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Out Of The Cradel is great....Take out the little crappy instrument introductions for me and it would be perfect.
Oy! Arrow through my heart! I love the instrumental introductions!

Quote:
OOTC (the album I DO own!!) reminds me of my dad! He plays acoustic guitar (Instr Intro ..) and he and I really connected over my appreciation for Lindsey, especially Never Going Back Again which is one of his favourite songs. When I got the OOTC CD we sat down and listened to it together and discussed it. So yeah - bonding all round lol! Thanks Lindsey!
That's really nice. Considering some of the subject matter of the album, which I think is about a father and son relationship and familial relationships generally, it's very apropos.

Lindsey's albums remind me of the seaons for some reason. I even relate certain seasonal colors to each album. Law and Order is late spring to me. It's bright yellows, greens and reds. It's a time of year that I think of as emerging from the cold. It's when kids are getting out of school and it's playful, innocent, lighthearted, silly, mischevious, adventurous.

Go Insane is late fall and winter. It's all cast in shades of blue (which the cover artwork actually is). While I know that time of year means joyful holidays to some, I probably tend to be one of those who gets the holiday blues. The album is compelling and lonely and feeling the chill of winter, struggling under the heavy rush of forced cheer, just trying to hold out until the thaw comes.

Out of the Cradle is late summer/early fall. (My favorite time of year.) It's all those autumn colors - beiges and browns and golden yellows and burnt oranges and a little green and red. The album is very warm and open. It's the time of year for a lot of reflection. You're a little wistful about the summer coming to an end and the year-end closing in, but feeling good and healthy and in a comfortable place.

Well, that's just a little bit about me, I guess.

Last edited by Les; 01-22-2003 at 03:33 PM..
Old 01-25-2003, 11:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Les
I love the instrumental introductions!
Yea, they are fantastic pieces of guitar work. My fav. is the one to "This Is The Time", but the one for "Don't Look Down" and his version of "This Nearly Was Mine" (which is in effect the intro. to "Say We'll Meet Again", or "Street Of Dreams" in the live shows.) are also amazing.

Old 01-25-2003, 12:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Law & Order" reminds me of the steamy, erotic death rattles of late Hapsburg Vienna. There is a kind of intense delicacy that a culture achieves only in a declining, dying social order. "Law & Order" coheres & creates mood states in all their vertiginous complexity & mystery, & was the wittiest rock album since "Freak Out!" & "Absolutely Free" by the Mothers of Invention.

The other two albums, being inferior works, generate no specific reverberations or associations for me.