Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
"Dreams" is an excellent lyric.
"Truer words have never been spoke"!
She truly was inspired when this one spilled out of her. It's rich and tight, and jumps right into the action as if she had excised an introductory stanza. The final production is sublime but it's also sublime as a poem. I was thinking just recently how the way the phrases "of your loneliness"/"dreams of loneliness" just hang there jarringly is very effective.

(But of course, lest we forget the fallen: "Christine McVie described the song as having "just three chords and one note in the left hand" and "boring" when Nicks played a rough version on the piano. McVie changed her mind after Buckingham "fashioned three sections out of identical chords, making each section sound completely different. He created the impression that there's a thread running through the whole thing." (source: Wikipedia))
Old 07-01-2018, 08:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Right - Stevie gave us Dreams, GTW, Landslide, Rhiannon, SOTM, BD album just to name a few but it’s the man who is the genius. Speak for yourself.
If other posters on this forum have to explain to you that she didn't do all the work on those songs by herself (the only notion makes me laugh!), then I don't know which band you're following.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I don't think "Dreams" has been given due appreciation by fans as a lyric. .

It's Stevie's best song, by far, and it's probably Fleetwood Mac's best lyric, or one of.
Right.....
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Old 07-03-2018, 01:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey tightened up her songs and made them hits. Before she dared compare herself to Bob Dylan he got her to cut a lot of the repetitive bits in songs, where she'd use the same word (angel, dream, etc) way too many times. Laziness.

That said, that *is* the job of a producer, so when he would insist on making a big deal of how he would just "do for her" blah blah blah, it's like dude, that's what a producer DOES. If you don't want to do it for her, then let someone else produce the band or at least her songs.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Lindsey tightened up her songs and made them hits. Before she dared compare herself to Bob Dylan he got her to cut a lot of the repetitive bits in songs, where she'd use the same word (angel, dream, etc) way too many times. Laziness.
And yet Stevie has actually worked with Dylan while Lindsey has merely covered him. As for laziness, the majority of success is found through showing up.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
And yet Stevie has actually worked with Dylan while Lindsey has merely covered him. As for laziness, the majority of success is found through showing up.

I'm willing to bet Lindsey accomplishes more in a day than Stevie ever has.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Ironic you mention that considering that when Stevie was off singing with Bob Dylan and Tom Petty for no specific reason, Lindsey was in the studio. Working on an album for the band that Stevie was supposed to be part of too. An album that Stevie is barely on because (among other reasons) instead of spending much time recording with HER band she was doing things like going off to sing with other people. An album that ended up being very successful.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
https://startsat60.com/entertainment...tralia-forever

As I remember it it wasn't so much "working with Bob Dylan" as forcing herself upon Tom Petty and Bob Dylan on that tour and inviting herself along, then finally they let her sing a few choruses on stage with them. She "Nathan'd" them, really, is all. If I may be so bold as to go there.
Obsessive fan girl, not a colleague. IMHO.

Oh man those Traveling Wilburys days though!!!! They were the best!!!! Sad that we lost so many of them

Anyone who has ever watched Border Security knows how tough our government can be when it comes to visas and visitors in the country – something Nicks had to learn the hard way.

According to reports in The Daily Telegraph, the 69-year-old was nearly deported when visiting the land Down Under back in 1986.

She had entered the country on a tourist visa to hang out with Tom Petty and Bob Dylan while they were on tour.

At one of their gigs in Sydney, she had one of the best views in the house and watched on from the side of the stage.

To her shock, she was pulled in front of the crowd and ended up singing ‘Like a Rolling Stone’ and ‘Knocking On Heaven’s Door’.

It all sounds innocent enough, right?

Wrong.

After the Fleetwood Mac made another appearance on stage the following night, government officials believed she was in breach of her holiday visa – given that she was technically working.

While fans couldn’t get enough of Nicks on stage, government officials weren’t so happy.

“Tom’s wife couldn’t make the trip so I said I would go and keep those guys in line,” she explained to The Daily Telegraph.

“I got to have fun just being a fan and had one of the most amazing months of my life.

“I got to sing with them two nights and then I was told by the Australian government I would never be allowed back in the country, not with Fleetwood Mac, not by myself as a solo artist, not as a tourist if I did that again.”

Old 07-05-2018, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
Ironic you mention that considering that when Stevie was off singing with Bob Dylan and Tom Petty for no specific reason, Lindsey was in the studio. Working on an album for the band that Stevie was supposed to be part of too. An album that Stevie is barely on because (among other reasons) instead of spending much time recording with HER band she was doing things like going off to sing with other people. An album that ended up being very successful.
And he quit before the tour. The band asked him to come to rehearsal in Maui and he didn't show up. These are the choices that he made.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasja View Post
https://startsat60.com/entertainment...tralia-forever

As I remember it it wasn't so much "working with Bob Dylan" as forcing herself upon Tom Petty and Bob Dylan on that tour and inviting herself along, then finally they let her sing a few choruses on stage with them. She "Nathan'd" them, really, is all. If I may be so bold as to go there.
Obsessive fan girl, not a colleague. IMHO.

Oh man those Traveling Wilburys days though!!!! They were the best!!!! Sad that we lost so many of them

Anyone who has ever watched Border Security knows how tough our government can be when it comes to visas and visitors in the country – something Nicks had to learn the hard way.

According to reports in The Daily Telegraph, the 69-year-old was nearly deported when visiting the land Down Under back in 1986.

She had entered the country on a tourist visa to hang out with Tom Petty and Bob Dylan while they were on tour.

At one of their gigs in Sydney, she had one of the best views in the house and watched on from the side of the stage.

To her shock, she was pulled in front of the crowd and ended up singing ‘Like a Rolling Stone’ and ‘Knocking On Heaven’s Door’.

It all sounds innocent enough, right?

Wrong.

After the Fleetwood Mac made another appearance on stage the following night, government officials believed she was in breach of her holiday visa – given that she was technically working.

While fans couldn’t get enough of Nicks on stage, government officials weren’t so happy.

“Tom’s wife couldn’t make the trip so I said I would go and keep those guys in line,” she explained to The Daily Telegraph.

“I got to have fun just being a fan and had one of the most amazing months of my life.

“I got to sing with them two nights and then I was told by the Australian government I would never be allowed back in the country, not with Fleetwood Mac, not by myself as a solo artist, not as a tourist if I did that again.”
He liked her enough to work with her again on the Street Angels sessions. Bob Dylan isn't going to do anything he doesn't want to do including letting someone join him on stage.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And he quit before the tour. The band asked him to come to rehearsal in Maui and he didn't show up. These are the choices that he made.
I'm aware of that. You missed my point. You brought up that Stevie actually "worked" with Bob Dylan (even though she barely did) while Lindsey "merely" covered him (as if that says something about her over him), and then talking about how success is showing up. Well Stevie never would've met Bob had she shown up to record with HER band. But she didn't and was quite a mess during that time, which was part of WHY Lindsey didn't want to tour. Because almost the entire band (save Christine) had been such a flaky mess during the recording. Even Mick admitted to how bad it had gotten and that he didn't blame Lindsey for wanting out.
And I wouldn't have gone to that rehearsal in Maui anyways. After all that happened and they've already gotten a "replacement" for you, what's the point.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And I wouldn't have gone to that rehearsal in Maui anyways. After all that happened and they've already gotten a "replacement" for you, what's the point.
If it was worth fighting for, he should have gone. But, maybe too much went down for that. Who knows?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 07-05-2018, 03:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I think it's safe to say he would've shown up if he thought they were asking him back into the band, considering how badly he wanted that.

With the other two guys already there, we all know that's not what was going to go down in Maui.

That's a real long way to go to say goodbye.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Seriously, what was the point of "inviting" him to Maui? To rehearse? Yeah, right! With his two (always two) replacements already there, the only reason I can think for this display of generosity is to tell him he was indeed fired.
The whole point was to embarrass him. That's how fu*king sick Stevie is.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
Seriously, what was the point of "inviting" him to Maui? To rehearse? Yeah, right! With his two (always two) replacements already there, the only reason I can think for this display of generosity is to tell him he was indeed fired.
The whole point was to embarrass him. That's how fu*king sick Stevie is.
You don't fly a guy over from Australia/NZ if he doesn't have the gig. FM did this so they could tell the press the offered him the opportunity to audition for the job he's had for 40+ years only to give it to two replacements. "Sorry Lindsey, Neil just has a better grasp of Go Your Own Way"