The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: What are your top three favorite Under the Skin songs?
Show You How 6 17.65%
Under the Skin 8 23.53%
I Am Waiting 2 5.88%
It Was You 2 5.88%
To Try for the Sun 12 35.29%
Cast Away Dreams 22 64.71%
Shut Us Down 9 26.47%
Down on Rodeo 26 76.47%
Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind 14 41.18%
Flying Down Juniper 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2015, 09:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Under the Skin poll

Album #4. I had to remove one song and went with Not Too Late based on other polls/posts.

UTS battles with SWS as my second favorite Lindsey album. I went with To Try for the Sun (probably one of my top three solo Lindsey songs), Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind, and Shut Us Down with as my three favorite and also love I Am Waiting and Cast Away Dreams. What are your top three from this album?
Old 02-23-2015, 11:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Getting seriously tough now. Went for 'Down on Rodeo', 'Cast Away Dreams' and 'To Try For The Sun'. I LOVE 'Under The Skin' as a song as well, but so much more live than on record. Bemoaning the fact I also couldn't sneak 'Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind' on my list - love it so much.

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 02-23-2015, 11:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My picks are Show You How, Down on Rodeo, and Castaway Dreams.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My picks are the three that were first previewed to us, which is very predictable of me. I streamed them a million times before the album came out.

Show You How is one of my favorite songs of Lindsey's, period.

Michele
Old 02-24-2015, 01:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
My picks are Show You How, Down on Rodeo, and Castaway Dreams.
mine too!
Old 02-24-2015, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Rodeo and To Try For The Sun are my absolute favorites on this album. both are sublime.

the third one is somewhat hard for me to pick and there are several contenders, including CAD, SYH, and SGCYM.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-25-2015, 03:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

In My Opinion this is his worst album but I adore castaway deams and down and rodeo.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 02-25-2015, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation Oy! Too difficult!

Under the Skin - I love the melody of this song SO much. His vocal is so soft and tender. Gorgeous song.

Castaway Dreams - The acoustic version he did in that hotel room during the UTS (I think?) tour is magnificent. The melodies on this album are incredible.

Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind - Hello, mortality. I don't have children and I'm creeping up to an age where that may no longer happen at all. This song is so powerful and it almost feels like a gospel song. I hope that makes sense to people. The way Lindsey sings the last "mind" and draws it out....I can't get enough of that.

**Just wanted to put a lil disclaimer that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Flying Down Juniper as well. The melody reminds me of some other song, but I can't figure it out. This album is just friggin' awesome.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847 View Post
Under the Skin

**Just wanted to put a lil disclaimer that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Flying Down Juniper as well. The melody reminds me of some other song, but I can't figure it out.
Perhaps the theme from The Love Boat television show (as Lindsey's wife Kristen categorized it, per an interview with LB around the time the album came out).
Old 02-26-2015, 01:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

To me, this is Lindsey's weakest album by a long shot. Despite that, there are a few gems to enjoy.

Down On Rodeo: Definitely one of the most beautiful songs of Lindsey's entire career. Such poignant, sad lyrics.

To Try For The Sun: I realize Lindsey didn't write this one, but he couldn't have been a better fit for this one, and he interpreted it beautifully.

Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind: I love the anthem quality this one has.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This album gets a bad rap. Seriously an awesome album.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love this album.

My top three would be Under the Skin, Down on Rodeo, and To Try For the Sun. I think Under the Skin is such a lovely song, and if in fact he wrote it for/about SN, it may be the most beautiful thing he's written about her. A close fourth is SGCYM.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer View Post
I love this album.

My top three would be Under the Skin, Down on Rodeo, and To Try For the Sun. I think Under the Skin is such a lovely song, and if in fact he wrote it for/about SN, it may be the most beautiful thing he's written about her. A close fourth is SGCYM.
It's a gorgeous song. Lyrically, it's absolutely one of my favourites but the album production of it drags it down my list a little. Live or acoustic, though? KILLER.

I love that the royalty theme got carried further down the line - popping up here at the end as 'long live the queen' and then in Miss Fantasy (which we do know is about her) in 'you're the queen of the underground'.

Interestingly, of course, Kristen's horse-related company also happens to have a connected title - Queen of England Farms LLC.

Q: I was just wondering where the inspiration came from the title 'Under The Skin', and the song as well.
A: I think so much of the time that I spent in Fleetwood Mac, so much the kind of exercise of getting through all of that was an exercise in denial. You know, taking, say, Stevie and myself, for example, as a couple who broke up while we were making Rumours. I still was producing hits for her, I still was basically having to, you know, do a lot that, uh, helped her to move farther away from me. And, you know, we all had our difficulties but the way we got through that was to kind of wall up a lot of our emotions and to kind of just get on with what needed to be what needed to be gotten on with. And I think when you cut to 20, 25 years later, you find that a lot of those, uh, ruins, if you will, are still there. And that it takes a certain amount of not only effort but, um, consciousness that those ruins are still there to be able to get past that and to move on, you know. Because we never had the luxury of closure, any of us. And so I think the reference to 'under the skin' is just that all the resources to do that and to get on to a more potent phase of your life, a phase of your life which is more in the moment, is inside yourself and not too far below the surface.It's all a matter of finding it and pulling it out of yourself, and I think that's what the song is referring to.

Some of the gig introductions to in and 2006 and 2007 went like this:

We're going to do the title track from the new CD now. I think we all have periods of time where we have a little bit of trouble getting from one point in our lives to the next, and all you really need is inside yourself, that that's all it really takes to get from one side of the river to the other. And, uh, it's not too far below the surface either, I don't think.

-

This is the title track from the new CD. I think someone I was pretty close to and had known for a long time was maybe having a little bit of trouble getting to the next point in their life and it just made me realize that, you know, almost everything you need to get from one side of the river to the other is right underneath the surface, under the skin.

-

It's actually the title track and it's basically, it's kind of the sense that even if you're a little bit lost, the things you need to get to the next point are all very close to the surface, right under the skin.

-

I think it's about realizing that even when you're in between points of definition or even when you feel that things are difficult, that much of what you need to get to the next point, to get from one bank to the other, is not very far below the surface. It's very much just under the skin.

-

We're going to do the title track from the new CD now. This was written about someone I've known for a long time who I felt was having trouble getting to the next point in their life. Maybe they weren't quite sure who they were. And it occurred to me that almost everything that you need to get from one side of the river to the other is inside of you very close to the surface, under the skin.

-

This was written about somebody who I've known for a long, long time and, uh, I, uh, felt that they were having trouble getting from one point in their life to the next and I guess what the song is trying to say is that just about everything you need to do that is inside yourself, and not too far below the surface. This is called Under the Skin.

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 03-01-2015, 01:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
mine too!
Let's congratulate ourselves on our impeccable sense of taste.

I just went with the best songs that showed a balance of diversity.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 03-01-2015 at 01:41 AM..