Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I hate to say it but...

Silver Springs never belonged on Rumours. I used to think it was the biggest musical crime of the century that this incredible song was left off of Rumours, especially to be replaced with I Don't Want To Know. I was also thrilled to learn that when it was to be rerleased in 2004 Silver Springs would be included on the original album. But I've been slowly coming to the conclusion and am now fully there, that the song doesn't fit and doesnt belong. I love the the 6 minute version they included on disc 2 of the reissue a lot more so that should be all that was included on the reissue. People could still have the original studio version to listen to on TVBOFM if they really needed it, and of course the far superior in my opinion Dance version of the song.

And this doesn't mean I'm coming around to thinking IDWTK does belong on Rumours either. I feel either Planets or Think About It would've fit much better in the slot IDWTK is in,

Can you guys tell I've been listening to Rmours a lot this week. First an Oh Daddy thread now this: Coming tommorrow "Go Your Own Way" Was Lindsey writing this secretly about John and not really Stevie?

He Will Burn You Down
Old 04-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Silver Springs never belonged on Rumours. I used to think it was the biggest musical crime of the century that this incredible song was left off of Rumours, especially to be replaced with I Don't Want To Know. I was also thrilled to learn that when it was to be rerleased in 2004 Silver Springs would be included on the original album. But I've been slowly coming to the conclusion and am now fully there, that the song doesn't fit and doesnt belong. I love the the 6 minute version they included on disc 2 of the reissue a lot more so that should be all that was included on the reissue. People could still have the original studio version to listen to on TVBOFM if they really needed it, and of course the far superior in my opinion Dance version of the song.

And this doesn't mean I'm coming around to thinking IDWTK does belong on Rumours either. I feel either Planets or Think About It would've fit much better in the slot IDWTK is in,

Can you guys tell I've been listening to Rmours a lot this week. First an Oh Daddy thread now this: Coming tommorrow "Go Your Own Way" Was Lindsey writing this secretly about John and not really Stevie?
I've always thought SS had a life of its own - it didn't need to be on an album because it was just THAT good...haha, but seriously i agree. The whole dynamic of the song is NOT what Rumours is about. I would have loved to see POTU.

SN: 4/6/11
I met my angel: 3/31/09

Last edited by StreetAngel95; 04-16-2010 at 03:32 PM..
Old 04-16-2010, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well the Go Your Own Way thing was just a joke, thats one of the very few songs in the Macs catolougue where the meaning is very clear.

But Im glad you see what Im talking about with the whole mood of the album and SS not fitting. The word that pops into my mind with all the songs on Rumours is Smoky.I dont know if that makes any sense. But it really comes through the most on songs like Gold Dust Woman, The Chain, Dreams, Oh Daddy, You Mak Loving Fun, Songbird and pretty much in some capacity the whole rest of the album. Its a very smoky vibe. The studio version of Silver Springs has this sweet bubbly feel to it granted with a very intense finish. Planets would've fit right in with the rest of the songs. And if they felt a more upbeat song was needed before Oh Daddy and GDW then Think About It would've done that trick while still having that smoky vibe.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 04-16-2010, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Shackin' up's all you wanna do? Oh...

Never listening to that in the same way again

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 04-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I Don't Want To Know is one of my favorite songs off Rumours. I never play that album without listening to that one. It's just so Fleetwood Mac 70's and takes me back. I think it was a perfect fit for Rumours. I love every song on that album except for Never Going Back Again. I'm sorry but I have to agree with my sister, that song makes you want to put on a Scottish kilt and dance around all funny.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fringed n fab View Post
that song makes you want to put on a Scottish kilt and dance around all funny.
LOL It's nothing like traditional Scots music!

Old 04-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fringed n fab View Post
I Don't Want To Know is one of my favorite songs off Rumours. I never play that album without listening to that one. It's just so Fleetwood Mac 70's and takes me back. I think it was a perfect fit for Rumours. I love every song on that album except for Never Going Back Again. I'm sorry but I have to agree with my sister, that song makes you want to put on a Scottish kilt and dance around all funny.
I agree. What I love most about Rumours is the way it houses that angsty and "smokey" (the word hawkeye used and I love) vibe but also has those upbeat, sunny, southern California plucked out melodies. To me, the combo is what made the album such hedonistic goodness. When you listen to it, you can just imagine these beautiful people at the top of the world...watching everything crumble beneath them. Taking out I Don't Want to Know in favor of POTU tips the scales too much towards melancholy.
You're so like me
Old 04-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well I don't think Silver springs should have been on the album either and of course originally was not. Makes the album TOO much of a downer. IDWK I have to be in the mood for......but when I am I love it

-Tom Waits

Last edited by bluefox4000; 04-16-2010 at 04:15 PM..
Old 04-16-2010, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I tend to agree... Silver Springs was just too long, drawn out, heavy, and musically different from the rest of Rumours. It's one of my all time favs, but it just wouldn't have worked on the album. I've played around with running orders, and if you put Silver Springs in Songbird's place, and move Songbird to being the closing track, it works a little better. Still, SS messes up the flow...
Old 04-16-2010, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I tend to agree... Silver Springs was just too long, drawn out, heavy, and musically different from the rest of Rumours. It's one of my all time favs, but it just wouldn't have worked on the album. I've played around with running orders, and if you put Silver Springs in Songbird's place, and move Songbird to being the closing track, it works a little better. Still, SS messes up the flow...
I agree. Swap GDW and Songbird. I always thought GDW never fit as a closer.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:53 PM
Senior Ledgie

I've never really thought about this before, but I agree that SS transcends any Mac album. I love the song, but I also think the mythology and politics surrounding it are interesting to think about as well. It was partly inspired by Stevie's drive through Maryland and seeing a sign for Silver Springs and a gift for her mother, the cause of much drama and heartache when it was left off Rumours (a screaming meltdown in the parking lot according to Stevie), the cause of a huge fight between Stevie and Mick ultimately forcing her to leave the band, resurrected for the Dance tour, and then nominated for a Grammy--and to think it was never on any original FM album!

What other Mac/Stevie songs have such a rich history?

A
Old 04-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

No Gold Dust Woman is the PERFECT closer for me. That can't be messed with.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 04-16-2010, 06:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
No Gold Dust Woman is the PERFECT closer for me. That can't be messed with.
i agree - i think people are just so used to Songbird as a show closer, so in retrospect it would make sense, but i prefer the mysterious ending of Gold Dust Woman

SN: 4/6/11
I met my angel: 3/31/09
Old 04-17-2010, 04:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Of course Silver Springs was not supposed to be on Rumours. Even tho it was so against what Stevie wanted, fate stepped in at that moment when Mick decided not to include it. That one song has played quite a role in the band. I feel if it was on Rumours, it would not have drastically changed the album, but I think SS would have become a somewhat forgotten song that Stevie wouldn't even consider doing today. Also, she would have never left Fleetwood Mac because of the whole SS/Timespace/Mick argument in 1990. Nor would we have gotten the amazing version from The Dance.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by APerfectLie View Post
Also, she would have never left Fleetwood Mac because of the whole SS/Timespace/Mick argument in 1990. Nor would we have gotten the amazing version from The Dance.
I think she would have still left the band. By that point, I think she only wanted an excuse to get out. I'm betting she would have used Christine's announced exit (although Christine came back to record) as a reason to go herself, even without the SS controversy.

Michele