The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Question I Love It- But "As Long As You Follow" Just Makes Me Sad!

Just stating the fact. I don't know you all feel about the song, but there is just something about the vibe that makes me really sad. No kidding. I really do love the song- but every time I hear it, I just kind of start feeling all melancholy. Do you all experience this???
Old 04-11-2010, 12:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

No, it does not make me sad. It makes me think of Snow. Not just because it is snowing in the video but because the song was released as a single in November, the start of winter.

Ethan, shouldn't you be working on that novel of yours?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baj.jpg (13.2 KB, 19 views)
Old 04-11-2010, 01:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Doesn't make me sad at all. Makes me think of my wife. It was one of those songs that seemed to come on or happen to be in the CD player at important times early in our relationship. It's actually one of my wife's favourite FM songs.

Great guitar work by Rick as well!!
Old 04-11-2010, 08:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
No, it does not make me sad. It makes me think of Snow. Not just because it is snowing in the video but because the song was released as a single in November, the start of winter.
Same here, everytime I hear the song I think of snow. It's one of my favorite Christine songs. I remember getting the "Greatest Hits" album (I bought it on cassette originally because there were more songs on it than the LP as I recall). I couldn't wait to hear Stevie's song, "No Questions Asked" which I like, but I think I like "As Long As You Follow" just a bit more.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'll never forget, that when i was FIRST just getting into Fleetwood Mac, and i was about 6, my mom found this cassette in the basement and let me listen to it. I didn't know anything about Fleetwood Mac, except that their music was AMAZING, so i assumed that Lindsey was singing on this track! It always struck me as one of those songs that could play during a movie, or a montage, or during the credits. the whole, "Now i know i can't lose - as long as you follow" So much emotion in in that song, and it remains today one of my favorites!

SN: 4/6/11
I met my angel: 3/31/09
Old 04-11-2010, 09:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post

Ethan, shouldn't you be working on that novel of yours?
I would've but I had to spend a lot of time today making amends with my mom since we haven't been getting along so well recently.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAngel95 View Post
i assumed that Lindsey was singing on this track!
I know someone who used to get Chris and Lindsey confused. I can pick her voice out a mile off though, I listen to Stevie's songs and tune in so much that I sometimes only hear Christine's voice, which is bizzare when I realise what I'm doing.

On topic, it doesn't make me sad, it makes me want to slow dance and smile. The only Chris song that makes me cry is Songbird and I have a good reason for that

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 04-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It is definitely one of my favorite Christine songs. I can feel a touch of sadness in it, but I think it is more a song of joy and reunion, however melancholy the music may sound. A very bittersweet song though: "And the sun went down, never seemed to rise, but now you're here with the light shining in your eyes"
Old 04-11-2010, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I love, love, love this song... but it makes me very sad to hear it for personal reasons. There was someone I dated some years ago... and it was quite volatile. We parted ways... and the day we decided to try and give it a go again, we were sitting in my living room talking and listening to the radio, and As Long As You Follow came on. We ended parting ways again very shortly after that, and I was devastated for years. But I'll always have the memory of that night, when that song of all songs came on, thinking that the world could be made right again .
Old 04-11-2010, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I love, love, love this song... but it makes me very sad to hear it for personal reasons. There was someone I dated some years ago... and it was quite volatile. We parted ways... and the day we decided to try and give it a go again, we were sitting in my living room talking and listening to the radio, and As Long As You Follow came on. We ended parting ways again very shortly after that, and I was devastated for years. But I'll always have the memory of that night, when that song of all songs came on, thinking that the world could be made right again .
Aww, how sweet. Do you want me to "kiss it" and make you feel better?
Old 04-12-2010, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's one of miy favorite Christine songs. Beautiful. Doesn't make me sad.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:21 PM
Supporting Ledgie

I was listening to this song a lot in '98 when my parents divorced, so when I hear it now, I think of that time in my life. It doesn't really make me sad... but I would say it's not a "happy" song for me either.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

To me it's sort of a sad song, or has that mellow vibe, especially in winter for some reason. Love the video too.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm surprised to find ALAYF on this forum! It's one of my very favorites. Interesting to hear I'm not the only one who thinks of snow when they hear it. It always makes me imagine a cold snowy day outside and I'm in a warm cozy room with fabulous people singing to me. (I guess you can tell I've watched the video too many times )

http://music.aol.com/video/as-long-a...422740/1908423

Isn't it funny how certain songs can be forever linked to a certain time in your life? For me it's Michael McDonald and the Doobs song "What a Fool Believes" because when that was getting tons of airplay, I was in a relationship where I was being an absolute Grade-A fool. And I hate that song to this day!
Old 04-13-2010, 09:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm also a big fan of this song- definitely a song that I've grown to love more through the years. It's the defining Christine song along with "Morning Rain" IMHO. It's an insidiously rebel yell of a song for me ("I'm gonna win, I'm gonna beg, steal or borrow..."). But what puts a lump in my throat is Rick's guitar solo in the middle. It starts out mournful but ends on a playful, optimistic series of notes- absolutely the most perfect guitar solo ever on an FM song. Not to disrespect Lindsey or anything like that, but I couldn't imagine this song could have turned out any better under Lindsey's direction.