User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Review copies of new CD next week

Hi everyone

I haven't posted for a while but I've been reading all the exciting build up to the new release.

Just to let you know I will get a preview copy of the record next week from the record company in order to review it. Looks like there is something of a major push for this album, more so than last time, which is great. I told the guy at the company that I was a member of this board and he sounded interested.

I'll ask him next week if there's any chance of an interview too - if there is, I'll definitely come back here for some questions!!

I'm not very technical at all but will be happy to 'share' the music in any way I can when I receive it.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool. Any sort of sharing that you can do would be much appreciated Just don't do anything that could get you in trouble with the "higher powers".

Who do you write reviews for? I look forward to reading your thoughts on the album once you get it!

Glad they're going to do some kind of a push for this album since they did sweet f.a. for UTS.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi Peestie
I'll review it for my online magazine and ofcourse for here.

I've just emailed the guy at the record company asking if there's any possibility of an interview. So. we'll see. If he agreed to an interview I'd try and place it in a national newspaper since I freelance for a couple of them. And ofcourse I'd publish it here!

In my telephone conversation with the record company guy I did try to get across to him (politely) that there were many fans out there who would buy the CD if they knew about it and therefore they should really plug it.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Once you've listened to the promo CD, it would be very kind of you to let us over here on the board know which of the GOS demos have actually made the cut.
Thanks in advance.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsysoul View Post
In my telephone conversation with the record company guy I did try to get across to him (politely) that there were many fans out there who would buy the CD if they knew about it and therefore they should really plug it.
So true! The more promotion the better. After all, people can't buy thing if they don't know they exist!

Looking forward to your review and good luck with getting the interview.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:01 AM
Senior Ledgie

Gypsysoul,
How exciting! I'm really glad they might actually make a valid attempt at promoting this album.

Good luck getting the interview, keep us posted
Old 07-25-2008, 12:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yo - GypsySoul!

Didn't you do a review of the CAH book Storms? Or am I thinking of someone else...?

I would be interested in reading your thoughts on the new CD and and reading anything you'd care to share from your internet magazine.

Thanks for remembering us.

Last edited by Betsy; 07-25-2008 at 02:37 PM..
Old 07-25-2008, 12:31 PM
Ledgie

Default Sharing

As much as I would love to hear the CD before it's released, I would be very careful about "sharing" it anywhere. Some of the people that read this forum are the people that could come after you. :O
Old 07-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for your comments everyone.
You're right, I should be very careful not to upset the powers that be re the songs!

But I'll post any other interesting info I may get.
I'm just pleased that the record company is letting the media know about the record. It's being promoted alongside news about new movies, books, games releases etc and that can only be a good thing for LB because as Peestie said they didn't do anything for UTS.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsysoul View Post
Thanks for your comments everyone.
You're right, I should be very careful not to upset the powers that be re the songs!

But I'll post any other interesting info I may get.
I'm just pleased that the record company is letting the media know about the record. It's being promoted alongside news about new movies, books, games releases etc and that can only be a good thing for LB because as Peestie said they didn't do anything for UTS.
Can you see if "The Right Place to Fade" is "Twist of Fate?" If you could put that on priority, it would be wonderful because I am dying to know.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLover View Post
Can you see if "The Right Place to Fade" is "Twist of Fate?" If you could put that on priority, it would be wonderful because I am dying to know.
I would put money that it is. A recent article said that McVie and Fleetwood were on three tracks and we know two of them (GOS and Wait For You) and TOF is the only other song from the original sessions, apart from the covers, that has yet to be released.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From my blog:

I'm not sure how accurate this listing is, but it would undercut speculations that some of these tracks (esp "Right Place To Fade") is an original Gift of Screws demo.
According to Spinner:

The three [Lindsey Buckingham, John McVie, Mick Fleetwood] worked together on a number of new songs, including the title track and 'Wait For You' [known as Gift of Screws demo "Shuffle Run"/"Shuffle Riff"]. Other new titles – written in his home studio and in hotel rooms during his last tour – include 'Great Day,' 'Time Precious Time,' 'Love Runs Deeper,' 'Bel Air Rain' and 'The Right Place to Fade.'

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hey I have thought about being a review person for concerts/ and or albums, can you tell me how you came to be in this profession??
Old 07-25-2008, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

SYWlindseyfan - I'm not a reviewer as such. I'm a lawyer by profession but I was trained as a journalist and keep my hand in with freelance tv/radio work and writing articles on a variety of topics.

As part of this work I get sent information about new releases of records, movies, books etc. If something interests me then I contact the company behind it and request a preview copy/movie screening etc etc.
It takes time to build up these contacts and it's a very competitive field as you can imagine.

I would suggest you approach a local newspaper or radio station initially and see what opportunities they have for someone to review music or whatever your interest is.

If they like the idea of starting a new review section, great. You can then contact all the relevant record companies and get your name on their mailing list.

But remember it's a very competitive field and they are likely to want to see examples of your previous work - to get this experience, just offer your services for free to the thousands of internet sites there are out there.

You're very welcome to PM me if you fancy writing something for my online magazine. It will get you published for a start.
Good luck.