Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-25-2003, 05:34 AM
Ledgie

Default Speaking of trippy, how about "I Want You"

Actually, "I Want You" is one of my favorites from the Go Insane album. Now that song is REALLY freakalicious. And it's so "in your face" (one of Lindsey's great traits)!!!

Lindsey had a stroke of genius when he created this little gem (as usual). Notice the vocals in the verses: It's like he recorded every OTHER phrase, word, or syllable on a separate track so that he could pan them all over the stereo spectrum. Then he puts them all together to form a complete line/verse. I've never heard anyone else do that before. It was one of those things that had me wondering "how the hell did he do that?" Does anybody know what I'm talking about here? ("bundle of joy", "pocketful of tears", etc). This must've have really taken some time for him to do.

Comments?

david
Old 02-25-2003, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Notice the vocals in the verses: It's like he recorded every OTHER phrase, word, or syllable on a separate track so that he could pan them all over the stereo spectrum. Then he puts them all together to form a complete line/verse.
That's exactly what he did. There is a great article in the BLA where he talks about this:

Musician, 11/84
"[T]o make the vocals sound less like a person and more like an instrument," Buckingham broke the words down syllable by syllable from channel to channel; on a line like "surprise to find someone willing to lose," one hears "sur," "to," "some," "will" and "to" on one channel, and "prised," "find," "one," "ing" and "lose" on the other. And instead of simply panning the vocal from side to side, Buckingham actually sang each channel separately, with startling (if slightly disorienting) results.

I Want You is probably my favorite song on Go Insane. While I didn't even notice it so much right at first because so much is going on in the song, I love the guitar playing on it. And I just really enjoy the overall affect I think he was going for with the lyrics. As the opening track, it introduces the underlying theme of the whole album about a love relationship gone wrong and all of the worries, doubts, dark corners, memories and relief that remain in the aftermath.

Last edited by Les; 02-25-2003 at 01:22 PM..
Old 02-25-2003, 05:32 PM
Ledgie

Default yep - that's what I thought

Thanks for posting that snippet Les - it's nice to see a little confirmation of what I've been hearing all these years. I totally dig that song (and the whole album for that matter). In my opinion, that was the turning point for Lindsey. I know he feels strongly about Tusk, but Go Insane really broke down some significant sonic barriers. It was truly a ground breaking album, not just in production, but in songwriting as well. Very original.

david
Old 02-25-2003, 07:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree... I Want You is probably my favorite Go Insane track.

Lots of cool sounds in this one.. and his voice.. yes indeedy "freakalicious" is the word.

(If I Want You isn't my favorite GI song.. Slow Dancing is. I can't decide between the 2.)

Sarah
Old 02-25-2003, 10:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Sarah
Sarah
Sarah!!!!! Yeah!
Old 02-25-2003, 10:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by David
Sarah!!!!! Yeah!
yep. my name is sarah.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:12 PM
joe

Quote:
Originally posted by Sarah
yep. my name is sarah.

I think her name is sara.

sorry...bad humor...anyway, love the song and love the album.

Old 02-27-2003, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"I Want You" was definitely one of the last Go Insane tracks that grew on me...it took quite a while to get used to, but now I love it, along with EVERY song from that album...my fav. LB solo album.