Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

and... there you go - Blackstar is Bowie's first ever US #1, and he has all together 10 albums on the chart right now -

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...source=twitter

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-17-2016, 08:05 PM
Senior Ledgie

Poor Stevie she is cute but looks so sad in that video. I guess because of Robin.

Stevie surprised many by saying she liked the Twilight movies and books. She's even admitted she watches daytime soaps. But so do I so I can't knock her for it :S I have some corny tastes.

I've read books about these artists but often have bad memory. Another indirect connection - Stevie's work with Dave Stewart of the Eurythmics. Dave and Annie Lennox have both posted online tributes to Bowie, even though Annie has had her own share of personal tragedy lately. Annie was very Bowie at times with the whole androgynous look and bright red hair she sometimes had.

I'm still sad and shocked at the loss of a huge cultural icon. He could take a conventional seeming pop format, and move it far beyond that. Themes of 'displacement' are so relevant these days and he was covering that 40 years ago.

Keith Richards has made me do a double take. In 2008 he was quoted as saying something quite mean about Bowie and his work. Now he has a big tribute on Twitter.

"I’m deeply saddened by such a sudden shock. David was a true original in everything he did and, along with many others... I’m going to miss him. Another goodbye to another good friend." - Keith Richards

Goes for full hour but one of his great final performances. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY54qW7SK8Y
Old 01-18-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy View Post
Another indirect connection - Stevie's work with Dave Stewart of the Eurythmics. Dave and Annie Lennox have both posted online tributes to Bowie, even though Annie has had her own share of personal tragedy lately. Annie was very Bowie at times with the whole androgynous look and bright red hair she sometimes had.
Annie Lennox was at least an acquaintance of Bowie since they permormed together "Under Pressure" at the Freddy Mercury tribute concert.

Quote:
Poor Stevie she is cute but looks so sad in that video. I guess because of Robin.
Yes, the song before was Edge Of 17 and she was already visibly moved; she said that it was dedicated to her friend Robin "who is now a white winged dove".

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 01-18-2016 at 09:09 AM..
Old 01-18-2016, 09:43 AM
Registered

Well, the Eurythmics covered "Fame" back in 1984.

I'm very happy to see Blackstar at #1, but it's so sad that is his first #1 album in the US
Old 01-18-2016, 10:16 AM
Registered

Anyone catch Saturday Night Live the other day? During the middle of the show they played this clip from 1979

Old 01-18-2016, 02:03 PM
Registered

Old 01-18-2016, 03:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That's Klaus Nomi (an interesting performer in his own right:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaus_Nomi )

on the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcomechris View Post
Anyone catch Saturday Night Live the other day? During the middle of the show they played this clip from 1979

Old 01-18-2016, 06:18 PM
Senior Ledgie

His long time piano player has said that in the 1970s a 'psychic' told Bowie he would not live past 69 or 70. That is quite eerie. I think he sensed a long time ago he would not get to a great age or be around in his seventies.

For the past ten years I was thinking where is he when everyone else seems to now be copying him? I wanted a revival for him so he could get his true place. This is not the way I wanted it so it's bittersweet.

I like artists who seem to have a bit of ambiguity or enigma about them. I don't get why we want to define people by certain factors and rely on stereotypes. Some people seem terribly threatened and intolerant of anything that is not cut and dry and I still notice that. It's too bad I think they miss out on a lot that is interesting.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:24 AM
Senior Ledgie

For God sake now Dale Griffin of Mott The Hoople has died aged 67. Strong connection with Bowie.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:13 AM
Ledgie

have to say in all honesty that I never liked his music but definitely respect him as an artist. RIP.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:27 PM
Senior Ledgie

I was an 80s kid and at that time, did not think Bowie was cool at all. It took me awhile to discover his formative work and to understand what it was about. That a lot of it was parody but it ended up eclipsing parody.

Gaga struck me as much the same when she started. I could recognize the parody element but began to worry when she appeared to be taking it seriously after awhile. Because that's when you can get bogged down.

I am wondering about the overall effect on the generation he was a cultural leader for. Because that's the generation i.e. 'baby boomers' who have tried so hard to defy ageing and keep celebrating a teen like culture. Bowie wasn't really that old but I suppose he had done a life cycle and in his final work, even though he was putting on a brave face in public, didn't hide the effects of his age and illness at all. The only thing I can compare it to really is Johnny Cash's final work including 'Hurt'. If an artist dies young, we never see that. They remain youthful forever in our minds. Age never catches up.

I know some older people whom I really admire because of their attitude and they're still very active and lively. I'm all for it, but fate eventually comes to all. This month has been a sobering reminder.

His son briefly returned to Twitter to post a letter sent to him by a doctor and of course they deal every day with these issues. http://blogs.bmj.com/spcare/2016/01/...e-care-doctor/
Old 01-20-2016, 10:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie's complete US Fest performance is available online.I hope that David's performance will show up soon.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 01-22-2016, 10:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy View Post
If it weren't Stevie making the comment I would have suspected sarcasm. But she's kooky. I love her for it though.
in this interview Bowie mentions both Stevie Nicks (when talking about Peter Frampton - was he playing guitar for SN at some point in the 90s?) and talks about Tony Scott and his own role in Hunger -

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-23-2016, 01:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Frampton was Stevie's opening act on the RAL tour or at least on the shows that I went to. At one Stevie concert ..not even sure which tour or even decade I do recall her saying and this is an exact quote "I met David Bowie once and he had nothing to say to me".I can assume that this was the US festival in '83.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Frampton was Stevie's opening act on the RAL tour or at least on the shows that I went to. At one Stevie concert ..not even sure which tour or even decade I do recall her saying and this is an exact quote "I met David Bowie once and he had nothing to say to me".I can assume that this was the US festival in '83.
Oh yes, Welcomechris has submitted the exact quote:

Quote:
"David Bowie?! I met David Bowie. He had nothing to say to me. So, no, it isn't about David Bowie."

-- Introducing SARA in Buffalo NY, July 2, 1983