User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-18-2021, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Default Mick's Zoo American Bandstand appearance 1984

I remember watching this in 1984 and really despised the comment from the guitarist Steve Ross about Fleetwood Mac's status. George Hawkins was just about to join Christine on tour when this aired. I love Billy but I never thought he was a good singer. His singing is like nails down a chalkboard IMHO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DQzh5Aj69s
Old 06-18-2021, 08:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I remember watching this in 1984 and really despised the comment from the guitarist Steve Ross about Fleetwood Mac's status. George Hawkins was just about to join Christine on tour when this aired. I love Billy but I never thought he was a good singer. His singing is like nails down a chalkboard IMHO.

HOW can you say that about Billy's singing? I think he's a really good singer, with a sweet voice. I've always preferred him to George, who's a YELLER/BELTER.
Old 06-18-2021, 08:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
HOW can you say that about Billy's singing? I think he's a really good singer, with a sweet voice. I've always preferred him to George, who's a YELLER/BELTER.
George is a fantastic back up singer. He can really hit the high notes. I was listening to my Christine live 1984 CD and he really does fantastic back up vocals on Say You Love Me and so many other songs.
Billy is not a great singer. You think Oh Daddy is a bad song so what do you know about music?
Old 06-18-2021, 09:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
George is a fantastic back up singer. He can really hit the high notes. I was listening to my Christine live 1984 CD and he really does fantastic back up vocals on Say You Love Me and so many other songs.
Billy is not a great singer. You think Oh Daddy is a bad song so what do you know about music?
I HATE yellers. Martina McBride - my cousin and I call her Old Yeller, because every note is blasted at 11! STFU and sing me a MELODY.

You're WRONG, because Billy has a sweet, melodic voice. The band could have picked ANYONE they wanted at the height of their success, and they chose Billy. Clearly, one of us is WRONG. You.

I've only made my living in the music business for 31 years(I'll be 35yo next month), so what do I know?
Old 06-18-2021, 11:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There has never been a great male singer in Fleetwood Mac's 54 year history. When they do the greatest singers in rock lists no guys from Fleetwood Mac are ever on there.

Old 06-19-2021, 07:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

What did you expect him to say? He was put on the spot by an awkward question. What is he supposed to say? Probably not expecting it and gave a nervous answer.

Billy's singing is okay. Not great, but okay. Love this song.
Fleetwood Mac have had some great male singers. Peter Green was a really great vocalist. Dave Walker was a noted singer, famous for his belting voice. Lindsey was good in his own way.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 06-19-2021, 08:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
There has never been a great male singer in Fleetwood Mac's 54 year history. When they do the greatest singers in rock lists no guys from Fleetwood Mac are ever on there.
I disagree. While you’re right that no male singer ever makes the lists, I wouldn’t hold this up as a measure of greatness or lack thereof. In my opinion, FM has had two excellent male singers of very different character: Peter Green and Lindsey Buckingham. At their respective peaks, both effectively maneuvered very well in their ranges and often delivered exciting and emotional vocal performances. Neither were bland or forgettable singers. Lindsey Buckingham is a forerunner of Keith Urban—the perfect blend of country rock/pop. He’s also a great harmonizer. Green’s vocals are entirely in their own category, a kind of homely, masculine tone that communicated loneliness and heartbreak as well as any of the far more famous singers of his time. A one of a kind voice.

For what it’s worth, Christine McVie has one of the most original and unusual voices in popular music and she never makes the lists either. Yes, she has had persistent pitch problems in some live shows and yes, she’s incapable of wailing. But her voice is truly unique.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Are you referring to his answer of “no comment?” Why in the world would you have an issue with that answer? It’s not like Steve Ross would be able to answer it anyway, as Clark even said, he should have asked Mick Fleetwood that question. “No comment” was about the best and only answer he could give that wouldn’t have made people mad LOL.

I thought both Billy and Steve did a really good job singing those respective songs, and were cute, too! I’d never bothered to listen to the Zoo album, even though I owned it at one time. Thanks for posting this, Macfan4life.
Old 06-19-2021, 10:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I disagree. While you’re right that no male singer ever makes the lists, I wouldn’t hold this up as a measure of greatness or lack thereof. In my opinion, FM has had two excellent male singers of very different character: Peter Green and Lindsey Buckingham. At their respective peaks, both effectively maneuvered very well in their ranges and often delivered exciting and emotional vocal performances. Neither were bland or forgettable singers. Lindsey Buckingham is a forerunner of Keith Urban—the perfect blend of country rock/pop. He’s also a great harmonizer. Green’s vocals are entirely in their own category, a kind of homely, masculine tone that communicated loneliness and heartbreak as well as any of the far more famous singers of his time. A one of a kind voice.

For what it’s worth, Christine McVie has one of the most original and unusual voices in popular music and she never makes the lists either. Yes, she has had persistent pitch problems in some live shows and yes, she’s incapable of wailing. But her voice is truly unique.
I actually thought about Man of the World while I was writing the earlier post..it is a great vocal and Lindsey has had some very good ones too but I can also understand why they never make the all time great rock singers lists. As lead singers in a rock band I don't think that they could really hang with a Rod Stewart , Robert Plant or Paul Rodgers in their primes but at least they are frequently on there for their guitar playing .I agree Christine has a one of a kind voice and should have been on there .Stevie is but her voice was shot long ago

Old 06-19-2021, 10:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Are you referring to his answer of “no comment?” Why in the world would you have an issue with that answer? It’s not like Steve Ross would be able to answer it anyway, as Clark even said, he should have asked Mick Fleetwood that question. “No comment” was about the best and only answer he could give that wouldn’t have made people mad LOL.

I thought both Billy and Steve did a really good job singing those respective songs, and were cute, too! I’d never bothered to listen to the Zoo album, even though I owned it at one time. Thanks for posting this, Macfan4life.
OMG Seriously. You are looking at this in the context of today.
I was bloody 14 years old fretting every day that I would never see the Mac live in concert again. Everyone was solo with no sign of any interest in making another album. So you cant see how that comment rubbed my little 14 year old heart the wrong way? Rewind time. Every time Stevie, Mick, Lindsey or Christine was asked about Fleetwood Mac from 1983-1984 they gave coy answers that left you guessing. Fleetwood Mac fans were on pins and needles back in those days especially when it was learned that after Wild Heart, Stevie was not returning to the band like after Bella Donna. She was going to record another solo album. Steve Ross was no help

Does anyone remember The Zoo's Thicke of the Night appearance? Alan Thicke used to have a late night talk show in the early 80s before Growing Pains. Mick and the Zoo appeared for a long sit down conversation and then played songs. Too bad that is not on youtube. I think they even played the video Gypsy or at least talked about it.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 06-19-2021 at 10:29 AM..
Old 06-19-2021, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don’t remember Mick on the show, but I remember Thicke of the night very well and I love when Alan had his wife at the time, Gloria Loring, on. His brother was also usually on the show doing heaven knows what. I think the brother’s name was Todd. I did see his sons but they did not interest me (sorry little Robin). I believe one son had diabetes and Alan was always pushing for more awareness for juvenile diabetes.
Old 06-19-2021, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I don’t remember Mick on the show, but I remember Thicke of the night very well and I love when Alan had his wife at the time, Gloria Loring, on. His brother was also usually on the show doing heaven knows what. I think the brother’s name was Todd. I did see his sons but they did not interest me (sorry little Robin). I believe one son had diabetes and Alan was always pushing for more awareness for juvenile diabetes.
I really enjoyed the show because he had younger, current and mainstream artists on the show. Carson had the old Hollywood types. It had bad ratings and was cancelled after about 2 years. Arsenio Hall got credit many years later for having the current and younger artists on his show but Allen Thicke tried it before Arsenio. Mick's Zoo appearance was quite long as I remember as if they were the only guests that night.

I did find a young Bon Jovi lip syncing on the show in 1984

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYR7uHGZAJ4

Last edited by Macfan4life; 06-19-2021 at 05:28 PM..
Old 06-20-2021, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Does anyone remember The Zoo's Thicke of the Night appearance? Alan Thicke used to have a late night talk show in the early 80s before Growing Pains. Mick and the Zoo appeared for a long sit down conversation and then played songs.
I don’t remember that TV appearance for I’m Not Me, but I remember an appearance on a late-night thing called Rock Palace. They sang “Tonight” dressed in tuxedos.

moviekinks.blogspot.com