Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Track talk: Help Me Through the Day

I didn't know that P.G. and Splinter group had made a version of this song. I have only heard it with P.G. and Friends, so I was very pleased to bump into this on Youtube.

I like this version. The singing is wonderfully slow and there is a laid-back yet intense feeling about the whole thing.

But who is playing the solo's?

My guess is that Nigel Watson is playing the intro. P.G. is playing the first solo. Nigel Watson the second one. Then again is Nigel playing all of them?
What do the experts say?

Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUKLczzObHo

Ms Moose
Old 02-02-2014, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Great choice, Ms Moose!
This is a great track, and can be found on Splinter Group's "Blues Don't Change" album.

I'm afraid it's Nigel playing the solos on the studio recording, while Peter doing very little (if any!) guitar work. But his singing is great and with tons of feeling.

I was very happy to hear the Friends' version. In spite of poor sound quality the Youtube clips show Peter doing inspired guitar solos.
I especially like the last part of the song where he does many fine things.

I'm sure you've seen them...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQToo3fpdVY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG0XNSm35pE

Last edited by dansven; 02-03-2014 at 03:01 AM..
Old 02-03-2014, 02:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah like D says it's Nigel doing all the solos. We had a discussion about this about 10 years ago...time flies!
Old 02-03-2014, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven View Post
Great choice, Ms Moose!
This is a great track, and can be found on Splinter Group's "Blues Don't Change" album.

I'm afraid it's Nigel playing the solos on the studio recording, while Peter doing very little (if any!) guitar work. But his singing is great and with tons of feeling.

I was very happy to hear the Friends' version. In spite of poor sound quality the Youtube clips show Peter doing inspired guitar solos.
I especially like the last part of the song where he does many fine things.

I'm sure you've seen them...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQToo3fpdVY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG0XNSm35pE
I am a bit embarrased. I actually own "Blues Don't Change", which I bought at a Splintergroup concert in Copenhagen in 2002 (****! I never had it signed, though I had every opportunity); but I had forgotten all about it. So I assumed that he played this number only in later years with the Friends.

I agree that there are a lot of good ideas in Peters playing on the various "Friends versions" of this song on Youtube. At the same time I get so terribly frustrated, because the ideas are so brilliant, but they lack the drive and restrained energy that characterized Greens playing in the Mac days. You can almost feel how even more fantastic it could sound.

Yes, now that I have listened to it many times, I can hear that it is Nigel playing the intro and soloes. I remember this discussion about who is playing what taking place here on The Ledge, whether it is Peter og Nigel or Peter or Snowy White in the PVK years. I don't remember a discussion about "Help Me Through The Day", though.
I remember one discussion about how to distinguish one from the other. And this is very interesting, and probably why it is hard to write about musical preferances. How do you discribe the "feel" with which different personalities handles an instrument?

Ms Moose
Old 02-04-2014, 01:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

What sounds like a so-so imitation of Mac-era Green on the SG albums is Watson, with digital delay. Peter plays simpler and has moved on from his old style. Any time you hear a slide guitar or wah wah that's Peter basically.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
What sounds like a so-so imitation of Mac-era Green on the SG albums is Watson, with digital delay.
Hahaha
Nigel's playing is taking me nowhere!
Unbalanced clichés which fail to surprise me, is the way I would describe it.

Peter has indeed moved far from his Mac days. Which in my opinion is a good thing. I'm not so sure about old veterans trying to sound the same way as when they were in thir early 20s and full of testosterone...

Peter's playing nowadays is very "playful" and full of surprises. It can be a bit patchy and erratic, but to me it's very rewarding to listen to it.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hahaha
Nigel's playing is taking me nowhere!
Unbalanced clichés which fail to surprise me, is the way I would describe it.

Peter has indeed moved far from his Mac days. Which in my opinion is a good thing. I'm not so sure about old veterans trying to sound the same way as when they were in thir early 20s and full of testosterone...

Peter's playing nowadays is very "playful" and full of surprises. It can be a bit patchy and erratic, but to me it's very rewarding to listen to it.
I agree with you, dansven. "Testosterone-playing" is boring in the long run, and especially in old veterans. The thing is I never considered Peters playing testorone-driven, not even when he was 20. There was something else at stake for him, than for many other players of his generation. By incident I came across Alvin Lee's obituary in MOJO (May, 2013) the other day. In it Alvin Lee is quoted: "Asked once about his rivals in the big league of flash guitarists, Alvin Lee - nicknamed Captain Speedfingers - shunned comparisons with John McLaughlin, Johnny Winter and beyond, and said he much preferred the subtle style of Peter Green. The errant Fleetwood Mac man was, Lee said, the only player he'd seen who turned his volume down during a solo."

Of course musicians develop and mature with age, so Peters style of playing is different now. His ideas are often intricate and beautiful, but what I am talking about is his "strike" (I think this is the word classical pianists use to discribe each individual pianists way of approaching or "attacking" the keys. This is not meant in the aggressive sence of the word). This has to do with the musicians need to communicate whats going on inside him. When Peter plays now, it's like he is "talking to himself". That's ok. Sometimes it would be nice to have some better recording of these "monologues", though

Ms Moose
Old 02-05-2014, 02:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Moose View Post
I agree with you, dansven. "Testosterone-playing" is boring in the long run, and especially in old veterans. The thing is I never considered Peters playing testorone-driven, not even when he was 20. There was something else at stake for him, than for many other players of his generation. By incident I came across Alvin Lee's obituary in MOJO (May, 2013) the other day. In it Alvin Lee is quoted: "Asked once about his rivals in the big league of flash guitarists, Alvin Lee - nicknamed Captain Speedfingers - shunned comparisons with John McLaughlin, Johnny Winter and beyond, and said he much preferred the subtle style of Peter Green. The errant Fleetwood Mac man was, Lee said, the only player he'd seen who turned his volume down during a solo."

Of course musicians develop and mature with age, so Peters style of playing is different now. His ideas are often intricate and beautiful, but what I am talking about is his "strike" (I think this is the word classical pianists use to discribe each individual pianists way of approaching or "attacking" the keys. This is not meant in the aggressive sence of the word). This has to do with the musicians need to communicate whats going on inside him. When Peter plays now, it's like he is "talking to himself". That's ok. Sometimes it would be nice to have some better recording of these "monologues", though

Ms Moose
Ms Moose, I really enjoyed reading your post above!
You're absolutely right about Peter not being very "testosterone-driven" (my oh my, what a word!!) And yes, there was something else, something deeper and perhaps spiritual with his playing.

I understand what you're saying about attack, and I agree with you. Playing like he's "talking to himself" is a brilliant description. Again, it's really hard to talk about music. Some high-quality reordings by Peter Green and Friends would be great. He didn't have to tour if he didn't feel like. They could just release some good rehearsals. It's easy nowadays, and sound quality is good. But Peter would have to want it himself...

That Alvin Lee quote was unknown to me, and it really made my day! Thanks!!
Old 02-05-2014, 06:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Ms Moose, I really enjoyed reading your post above!
You're absolutely right about Peter not being very "testosterone-driven" (my oh my, what a word!!) And yes, there was something else, something deeper and perhaps spiritual with his playing.

I understand what you're saying about attack, and I agree with you. Playing like he's "talking to himself" is a brilliant description. Again, it's really hard to talk about music. Some high-quality reordings by Peter Green and Friends would be great. He didn't have to tour if he didn't feel like. They could just release some good rehearsals. It's easy nowadays, and sound quality is good. But Peter would have to want it himself...

That Alvin Lee quote was unknown to me, and it really made my day! Thanks!!
Some high-quality reordings by Peter Green and Friends would be great. Mike Dodd that they have some great stuff worth to release, but Peter doesn't think so.....
Old 02-06-2014, 10:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
Some high-quality reordings by Peter Green and Friends would be great. Mike Dodd that they have some great stuff worth to release, but Peter doesn't think so.....
Let's make a petition (is this the right word?) to try and convince PG otherwise Alas, it is probably impossible because he is so b..... stubborn. Mike Dodd must be a very patient man, and going out of his mind sometimes.

Ms Moose
Old 02-06-2014, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Moose View Post
Let's make a petition (is this the right word?) to try and convince PG otherwise Alas, it is probably impossible because he is so b..... stubborn. Mike Dodd must be a very patient man, and going out of his mind sometimes.

Ms Moose
Peter is very critical about his own playing.
Yes, let's try to convince him!!
Old 02-07-2014, 04:02 AM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
There is a very high quality recording out there of the Union Chapel gig which can be found reasonably easily by searching. "Help Me Through The Day" (You're my Woman) and "Blues Get off of my Shoulder" were highlights from that gig for me and Peter's guitar rings through very clearly on these recordings.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There's a lot of criticism here on this thread towards Nigel. And indeed he did take up a lot of guitarsolo's in the Splinter Group. And yes, they are/were not as brilliant as Peter in his hay days. However I must admit that he beats me to it.
Furthermore, let's not forget he had a major issue in Peters come-back, bringing him back to play the guitar, never rushing him. I don't know what eventually made the Splinter Group break up. Nor have we any clue on any legal issues (they are kept quite secret).
I should guess we actually have to show a bit of gratefulness towards him. Don't you folks agree???