The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-17-2006, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, it is the same song. Dixon wrote and produced (and I belive played on) the Rush original.
Most of the Rush songs that the Brits covered had some involement from Dixon as he had quit Chess records, to work for a rival start-up, Cobra records, the label Rush was signed to.
"Homework" and the B-side, "I Have To Laugh" were recorded for the Duke label after Rush had left Chess (he joined Dixon, and labelmate Buddy Guy there after Cobra folded)

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 05-17-2006, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Homework" seems to have been one of Greeny's favorites over the years. Listening to the live versions from the Mac years, it sounds like he's really having fun playing it.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000
"Homework" seems to have been one of Greeny's favorites over the years. Listening to the live versions from the Mac years, it sounds like he's really having fun playing it.
And, he STILL was having fun playing it during the first couple of years of the PGSG.
Old 08-05-2006, 03:50 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Another Greeny/Santana version of Black Magic Woman ?

From http://www.mi2n.com/press.php3?press_nb=36997

"On Friday, May 10, 2002 when Blue Storm Music recording artist, Peter Green played San Francisco with his band, The Splinter Group, Carlos Santana took advantage of the opportunity to pay homage to the legendary guitarist. He joined the band on stage at Bimbo’s 365 Club for an emotional 12-minute version of “Black Magic Woman” that sent chills up and down the collective spine of the audience. Afterwards, Carlos told the audience, “When I started to play guitar, there were two musicians who really inspired me—B.B. King and Peter Green.” (B.B King has also been quoted as saying, “Peter Green is the only musician who ever made me sweat.”)

It began more than 30 years ago when a talented young guitarist from San Francisco formed a band known simply by his last name—Santana. One of the biggest bands at the time was Fleetwood Mac, then riding the crest of the Blues wave that swept British bands like The Rolling Stones, The Yardbirds, The Animals and Cream to the top of the charts in America. As Santana started recording their debut album, Carlos Santana heard a track from Fleetwood Mac that was at the time getting serious attention in the rapidly growing “free form” radio format. The song was “Black Magic Woman,” written by Fleetwood Mac’s founder and lead guitarist, Peter Green.

Santana’s version of “Black Magic Woman,” which closely mirrored Fleetwood Mac’s arrangement, and went on to become one of the all-time classic songs on FM radio, from the “free form” days of the ‘60s right on through the Classic Rock formats of today. And while the vast majority of listeners believe Carlos Santana wrote “Black Magic Woman”, Carlos himself has never forgotten who did.
"
Old 08-05-2006, 09:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Does that include Christine's fantastic work on "I'm So Afraid"?
What's so fantastic about that?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-05-2006, 09:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowk
Santana’s version of “Black Magic Woman,” which closely mirrored Fleetwood Mac’s arrangement, and went on to become one of the all-time classic songs on FM radio
I don't think it "closely mirrored" the Mac's arrangement at all. There are enormous musical differences between the two recordings.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-05-2006, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just my opinion, but I much prefer Peter's version.