User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-18-2005, 03:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
Oh, Grand Master B, you have soooo much to learn (Grasshopper).
That HAS to be the clavinet! Rhodes have a black "rising" top, right in front of the keys(that's where the "tines" are, but that's another lesson). There's no wood-tone on any Rhodes that I've ever seen. So, it's a Hohner clav....
Hehe...

It's ok! I am NOT the keyboard expert by any stretch of the imagination! It's not like I have ever even played an actual FR in my life. ...sigh... The only keyboard I own is Korg SP-200! So, no worries...

I just get confused sometimes because FR and Hohner sound some what similar...at least to these ears.

How long did she keep the Clav. in her stage setup? This performance was from 1976 Midnight Special...Rhiannon...I'll post later on.

on edit...looking back at the video...it TOTALLY is a Hohner...it was staring me right in the face.

Last edited by Brwn_eyes0511; 12-18-2005 at 03:11 AM..
Old 12-18-2005, 11:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwn_eyes0511
Hehe...

It's ok! I am NOT the keyboard expert by any stretch of the imagination! It's not like I have ever even played an actual FR in my life. ...sigh... The only keyboard I own is Korg SP-200! So, no worries...

I just get confused sometimes because FR and Hohner sound some what similar...at least to these ears.

How long did she keep the Clav. in her stage setup? This performance was from 1976 Midnight Special...Rhiannon...I'll post later on.

on edit...looking back at the video...it TOTALLY is a Hohner...it was staring me right in the face.
Well, I could even be slightly wrong. I went to bed, and thought, "you dumbass, that COULD be the Hohner Pianet(I think that's a different model than the clav, although I'm not positive....Daaaavvviiiidddd?)". But, there was NO way I was getting out of bed to change my post! But, I think the clav was always on top of the other keys, and this sure appears to be on top, so.......

David's the keyboard sexpert though...

I used to have a FR. Heavy as ****, and I was always adjusting the tines(with varying success). I was glad to get rid of it. I now wish I still had it for home use.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, I could even be slightly wrong. I went to bed, and thought, "you dumbass, that COULD be the Hohner Pianet(I think that's a different model than the clav, although I'm not positive....Daaaavvviiiidddd?)". But, there was NO way I was getting out of bed to change my post! But, I think the clav was always on top of the other keys, and this sure appears to be on top, so.......

David's the keyboard sexpert though...
Oooooo baaaaaby!

The Combo Pianet is what she playing there. The various pianets were electromechanical pianos (or just electric pianos for short).

The clav is another Hohner product (also considered an electric piano but used more by the funkmeisters & the R&B artists to punctuate the rhythm). Chris probably never (never say 'never') brought the clav onstage but used it here & there in the studio. When you think clav, think Stevie Wonder's funky "Superstition" line. When you think pianet, think Christine (or Zombies "She's Not There"). Somewhere there's another thread where I posted pictures of the pianet & I was trying to identify the very old pianet that she used live when FM toured in May/June/July/August 1975. I decided it was the N. I also had pictures from later on in the 1975 tour -- like around November -- & the Combo Pianet. So she switched to the Combo probably when it was first made available. The Combo says "Hohner Combo Pianet" on the back & on the front, & generates its sound exactly the same way that the older N does.

If you buy a Combo Pianet today, you will need to put on the new "sticky pads" they sell at clavinet.com. All the old sticky pads from these instruments are stickied out. The top-secret goo has worn off, thus rendering them unplayable unless you replace the pads. That's why I was really looking forward to the Nord Stage plan to include a pianet patch -- it would have been great & totally authentic because Nord is so good at simulating the electromechanical pianos. Bummer that didn't happen ... at least not yet. Pianet patches/voices on new instruments are so rare as to be practically nonexistent. One of the old Roland CD-ROMs has one, & the Voce module has a bad one (or a good mimic of the T, which nobody wants anyway).

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-18-2005, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I used to have a FR. Heavy as ****, and I was always adjusting the tines(with varying success). I was glad to get rid of it. I now wish I still had it for home use.
You don't need a real one. Get the Nord Electro.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-18-2005, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's Rhiannon! (hint: She doesn't play Fender Rhodes during Why!!!! hehe, but how were you to know that was a Rhodes? Im just teasing you!)
Now, why would you think I'd be paying attention to the piano? Look who's playing it!
Old 12-18-2005, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird
Now, why would you think I'd be paying attention to the piano? Look who's playing it!
Isn't that true...sigh...

***CHRISTINE! PLEASE DO A SOUNDSTAGE OR SOMETHING LIVE! JUST ONE MORE TIME!***
Old 12-18-2005, 04:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
***CHRISTINE! PLEASE DO A SOUNDSTAGE OR SOMETHING LIVE! JUST ONE MORE TIME!***
If wishes were horses, man...

I doubt she'd ever do it, especially for a solo thing, since we know how shy she can be on stage... But it would be awesome to have her back for a little something.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
yeah, after she'd banished it to her right hand. Although I guess there are far worse places she might have banished it to. and it still looks really clean LOL, none of my rings ever look so nice and shiny.

-Lis
um....im sorry what happened??!
Old 12-18-2005, 05:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

HMMM

1.Songbird
2.Brown Eyes
3.Never Make Me Cry
4.Prove Your Love
5.Spare Me A Little
Old 12-18-2005, 05:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
You don't need a real one. Get the Nord Electro.
Well, I have a fairly large rehearsal room in my house, so I've got room. It's really the only thing I've sold, that I wish I still had.
You know David, Christmas IS next week. I'd LOVE a Nord Electro.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:14 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySongbird
um....im sorry what happened??!
Well, you know, they had some issues. After she sort of decided the marriage thing wasn't totally working anymore, she moved the ring to her right hand, where it remained for quite a few years.

-Lis
Old 12-19-2005, 01:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, you know, they had some issues. After she sort of decided the marriage thing wasn't totally working anymore, she moved the ring to her right hand, where it remained for quite a few years.

-Lis
Wow, I didn't know that! Is that like, "kind of divorced"? Is that common, to move it to the other hand?
Old 12-19-2005, 07:59 AM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Wow, I didn't know that! Is that like, "kind of divorced"? Is that common, to move it to the other hand?

I wouldn't think it is common, no. But is anything this group went through common? She talked a bit about wearing the ring on her other finger in that 1977 Rumours article (where she talked like she was in therapy )- about how she didn't want to wipe what they had off the board, and how she still had a lot of love for him. He wore the penguin ring she gave him after she left him on his right hand, also for many years.

As for 'kind of divorced'-- I believe John did refer to it as a 'semi divorce' in that Classic Album thing. An interesting time of transition, perhaps.

--Lis
Old 12-19-2005, 12:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
After she sort of decided the marriage thing wasn't totally working anymore, she moved the ring to her right hand, where it remained for quite a few years.
-Lis
I wonder how many years? I would assume the ring was gone by the Dennis Wilson years.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:43 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
I wonder how many years? I would assume the ring was gone by the Dennis Wilson years.

I think it did take a brief hiatus then. But it was back on for sure during the Mirage years, check out the Schlitz poster as an example...

-Lis