User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-05-2022, 09:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
It was the perfect post-punk/new wave sound.
It truly was! I love Lindsey's little "oww"s in it. I usually look in the rear view mirror while driving, and do the owws with him.
Old 08-05-2022, 09:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I too love Think About Me. The opening makes me feel good.
I mean what can you say Homie, it's not against the law. Woooo!
It does make you feel good. It has never come on in my life, that I didn't CRANK the volume for the world to hear! F*CK YEAH, Y'ALL!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-05-2022, 09:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
No doubt Lindsey's departure was huge new in radios and MTV. But still, I don't think that was fully noticed by everyone. I remember that when Benjamin Orr died, some friends confused him with Rick Ocasek, they did not distinguish which songs were sung by one or the other, I mean not watching the videos by just hearing the names.
Exactly. The bulk of the people taken with Little Lies weren’t typical Mac fans. They were the general public.
Old 08-05-2022, 10:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Exactly. The bulk of the people taken with Little Lies weren’t typical Mac fans. They were the general public.
Exactly my point, though. The story was big news and it was everywhere in the music press. The Mac fans already bought the album by that point. It was people like me who might have been curious about the band but didn’t know the back story that bought the album around that time. The guy who’d recently had a massive hit with Fleetwood Mac just quit. Gotta check that out!

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-06-2022, 05:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Exactly my point, though. The story was big news and it was everywhere in the music press. The Mac fans already bought the album by that point. It was people like me who might have been curious about the band but didn’t know the back story that bought the album around that time. The guy who’d recently had a massive hit with Fleetwood Mac just quit. Gotta check that out!
Not my point at all. The opposite actually. People heard the song, hummed along with it and thought it was cool. Lindsey’s quitting wasn’t exactly what we would today call viral. It was underplayed by the band and the news outlets tread carefully. So, to quote Dave Mason, we just disagree.
Old 08-06-2022, 08:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Lindsey’s quitting wasn’t exactly what we would today call viral. It was underplayed by the band and the news outlets tread carefully. So, to quote Dave Mason, we just disagree.
I agree news of Lindsey’s leaving wasn’t viral, because it couldn’t have been back then, but where you and I disagree is where you say it was underplayed by the band. It was definitely not underplayed- Fleetwood Mac did a ton of press the second they signed Billy and Rick up. They were very open about Lindsey leaving- probably because they didn’t want fans to think he was fired. Lindsey was mum but FM did all the talking. There was no “put a hat on Billy and no one will notice it’s not Lindsey.” That’s disrespectful to Lindsey, for any fans to think most concert goers wouldn’t notice it wasn’t Lindsey on stage. FM had a huge press conference introducing Billy and Rick to the public, they took out full page ads in all the major newspapers promoting the tour with a big picture of Mick, John, Christine, Stevie, Billy, and Rick and the tour dates, and there were big, long articles in music press magazines.

No, Lindsey’s departure definitely wasn’t underplayed by the band.
Old 08-06-2022, 11:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Hold Me was only a hit because of the limelight of Bella Donna. Stevie leaving Fleetwood Mac for her smash album created a huge music buzz. I remember it was in all the papers and on the radio that after her smash album she was already back in the Mac. Her album was still high on the charts still charting singles when Hold Me was released. Her last single from Bella Donna was released in April 1982 and Hold Me was released just 2 months later. I remember on the radio they would introduce Hold Me as the latest single from Stevie's band Fleetwood Mac. Many thought the Mac jumped the shark after Tusk and then Stevie had this HUGE solo album. People were shocked that she was back in the Mac so fast. Even Stevie said she never mentioned Bella Donna in France because she did not want to put it in their face. All that drama, news media, and limelight from #1 Bella Donna made Hold Me a huge hit. Without that, it probably would have charted Love in store territory or maybe #18 or #19. But all the drama if Stevie was leaving the Mac after her huge album still riding high on the charts pumped Hold Me to be one of the biggest hits of 1982.
Old 08-06-2022, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
This is so silly. I am not going to engage this nonsense anymore.
I’m glad you changed your mind, Macfan4life!
Old 08-06-2022, 01:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hold Me was only a hit because of the limelight of Bella Donna. Stevie leaving Fleetwood Mac for her smash album created a huge music buzz. I remember it was in all the papers and on the radio that after her smash album she was already back in the Mac. Her album was still high on the charts still charting singles when Hold Me was released. Her last single from Bella Donna was released in April 1982 and Hold Me was released just 2 months later. I remember on the radio they would introduce Hold Me as the latest single from Stevie's band Fleetwood Mac. Many thought the Mac jumped the shark after Tusk and then Stevie had this HUGE solo album. People were shocked that she was back in the Mac so fast. Even Stevie said she never mentioned Bella Donna in France because she did not want to put it in their face. All that drama, news media, and limelight from #1 Bella Donna made Hold Me a huge hit. Without that, it probably would have charted Love in store territory or maybe #18 or #19. But all the drama if Stevie was leaving the Mac after her huge album still riding high on the charts pumped Hold Me to be one of the biggest hits of 1982.
Correlation DOES NOT imply causation. I'm shocked that YOU would say that about Christine's song. RUDE.
Old 08-06-2022, 01:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Correlation DOES NOT imply causation. I'm shocked that YOU would say that about Christine's song. RUDE.
Stevie going solo in 1981 was a much bigger and dramatic story than Lindsey deciding to not tour with the band in 1987 and quit. Most people would not even know who Lindsey was except core fans. In 1981 everyone knew who Stevie Nicks was. Endless stories of her "leaving" the band and even more surprised she went back. Without her mad success and endless stories of what was to become of Fleetwood Mac after Bella Donna dragged Hold Me to be a monster hit. It would have bogged down at #18 at the most.
Old 08-06-2022, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Most people would not even know who Lindsey was except core fans.
In 1987?

Lindsey just had a top 5 hit with Fleetwood Mac a few months earlier and Fleetwood Mac was actively promoting a successful album. Look at all of the video interviews still lingering on YT from 1987. Even if they didn’t know his name, they knew the singer/songwriter/guitarist from Fleetwood Mac, who was in the two videos that were still in heavy rotation at the time, one being a massive hit he sang lead vocals on, just quit.

You keep trying to draw half-cocked parallels, but none of those situations were the same.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-06-2022, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Stevie going solo in 1981 was a much bigger and dramatic story than Lindsey deciding to not tour with the band in 1987 and quit. Most people would not even know who Lindsey was except core fans. In 1981 everyone knew who Stevie Nicks was. Endless stories of her "leaving" the band and even more surprised she went back. Without her mad success and endless stories of what was to become of Fleetwood Mac after Bella Donna dragged Hold Me to be a monster hit. It would have bogged down at #18 at the most.
S.P.E.C.U.L.A.T.I.O.N. should not be presented as fact.

NEXT!!!!
Old 08-06-2022, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Nobody outside of core fans knew who John or Christine McVie were. Why would anyone care that they were divorcing? People were only buying those albums because the songs were great.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-06-2022, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Nobody outside of core fans knew who John or Christine McVie were. Why would anyone care that they were divorcing? People were only buying those albums because the songs were great.
Agreed. NOBODY would have given AF.

A shipper I have never been.

Being a FM fan is like being in the Army.
Old 08-06-2022, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Agreed. NOBODY would have given AF.
Clearly. Obviously GYOW, Dreams, Don’t Stop, and YMLF were so great they just sold themselves, really. Nobody cared that the personal relationships within the band had turned into a four alarm $h!tshow. At that stage in their careers, nobody outside of fans even knew who they were.

THE Stephen Hopkins