User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Christine McVie (1984)

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if I can ask for this or not because while this album is available online it's for quite expensive prices because it'sbeen deleted, does this count as commercially available?

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had a spare copy of this album on cd that they'd be willing to send me, or burn me a copy or something? My copy got a large glass of gin and tonic (very appropriate!) spilt all over it at the weekend and even though it was in the box...it leaked in and has ruined the cd! It's infuriating. I'm noramlly pretty anal about my cds and so careful, trust it to be a hard to replace one that this has happened to! Stupidly, I of course didn't put it on my computer beforehand either...

I can of course pay postage and for the media involved if needed. Can anyone help? Let me know and I can pvt you with an address, or email me mp3s or something?

If this isn't allowed (or it's just a bit too cheeky!) then let me know and accept my apologies.

Al.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Amazon UK has it listed from sellers used and new for between 3 to 5 pounds. I don't think that's expensive.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Christine-Mc...0605768&sr=1-2
Old 08-18-2009, 09:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Amazon UK has it listed from sellers used and new for between 3 to 5 pounds. I don't think that's expensive.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Christine-Mc...0605768&sr=1-2
Thanks for that link! I couldn't get those to come up when I tried earlier. All that came up for the cd was a blank item with no pic or anything, which I'm walways cautious about. All I could find was the vinyl copy. Problem solved!! Hurrah!
Old 08-18-2009, 01:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodfather View Post
My copy got a large glass of gin and tonic (very appropriate!) spilt all over it
Al.
Shouldn't that have been Dom Perignan?

Gail
Old 08-18-2009, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post

Gail
I wish! G & T is still pretty fitting though...
Old 08-18-2009, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post

Gail
No, Blue Nun would have been more appropriate.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird View Post
No, Blue Nun would have been more appropriate.

hahahahah!!! u made my day...

tell me you wouldn't follow her to the party...
Old 04-12-2013, 10:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Blogger Review of 1984 Album

[Review of the 1984 album by Wordpress blogger Bob Lefsetz]

Lefsetz Letter
http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.p...ristine-mcvie/

Rhinofy-Christine McVie

Lindsey Buckingham gets all the credit. Stevie Nicks gets all the attention. But Christine McVie was the glue. She bridged the gap from obscurity to fame. Nicks twirled, but it was Christine with her understated beauty that enraptured us. And it was Christine’s track that broke the new Fleetwood Mac. Yes, “Over My Head” paved the way for “Rhiannon.” And Bill Clinton’s theme song, “Don’t Stop,” was not the work of an American, but a Brit, Christine McVie.

And for a while there, Christine was part of the Fleetwood Mac reunion, but then she dropped out. And too often band names are brand names and individuals are forgotten, but in Christine’s case, this is unjust.

But all her Fleetwood Mac tunes stay in rotation. And if you loved those, maybe you missed her 1984 solo album, produced by Russ Titelman, that had some traction but then disappeared, as if it were never made, but there are a few tracks that I’ll never forget, that titillate me to the core.

Like “So Excited”…

Well, I’m so excited
My baby is on his way

It’s the jangly guitar part and then the pure voice. The track exudes honesty, which is the heart of great music. You really feel like Christine has been waiting all day, cleaning the house, prepping her look, waiting for him to show up.

Who hasn’t done this?

It’s the essence of love. The anticipation!

I can’t eat
I can’t sleep
Since the first time that I saw you
Somebody tell me
What’s a poor girl supposed to do

Eureka! Why is it that we lose our appetite? Suddenly we can survive solely on the butterflies in our stomach. We feel detached from the world but more a part of it than ever before.

Well, I know my baby
He makes me want to scream and shout
Ooh, he shows me
Shows me what it’s all about

Funny how all the manuals tell you to be cool. Come on, every year there’s a best seller supposedly delivering the key to romance. That you should hang back, not show your emotions, not move too fast, that you need to make them prove their love and commitment.

Hogwash!

Love is a runaway train. A journey you’ve waited for your whole life that’s even better than you imagined. And when you’re caught up, you never want to let go. They say money is power. That’s completely wrong. Love is power. Never forget it.

And just as magical as the acoustic guitar is in “I’m So Excited,” the piano entrances you in “Ask Anybody.”

He’s a devil and an angel
Ooh, the combination’s driving me wild

Don’t we all know it! We fall prey to their wink, their charisma, but they don’t return our phone calls, we see them out with other people, we want to let go, but we can’t.

He’s a saint and he’s a sinner
Ooh, somehow he acts just like a beginner
I guess he’s still a child

Oftentimes they are. They’ve gotten by on their looks. They’re flawed. But we get caught up in their energy, we get on their trip casting aside doubt until…they let us down and we crash so hard we wonder if it was all worth it, even though we know it was…

Ask anybody
They’ll say I’m going wrong
They said I should walk out
But that’s not what I want

You ask for advice, but you don’t want to listen to it. What you really want is someone to be irrational, just like you, to tell you to go for it. And despite all the naysaying, you keep going back to the well, you can’t let the person go, until you’ve been so hurt that you admit to your friends they were right.

But that’s all right ’cause I know somehow
We can make it right and I’m putting up a fight
Somehow, somewhere he’ll change
And we’ll try it all over again without all the pain

She’s delusional. You’ve seen the movie. You’ve probably even lived the movie. It’s not until you’re old and gray that you finally realize that people don’t change, and that you certainly can’t change them via hope and sheer will. If only they were a little bit different…but they’re not.

And then there’s that wistful solo! The electronically treated sound that Titelman used to such great success on Steve Winwood’s “Back In The High Life.” And when it comes in again, unexpectedly, at the end of the song, you can just see it, her staring out the window, sitting in her kitchen, lying in bed, fully awake, engrossed by the thought of him, unable to let him go, even though she never really had him.

And speaking of Winwood, he vocalizes on “One In A Million.”

But none of the aforementioned tracks were hits.

But “Got A Hold On Me” was. Maybe because it’s the most Fleetwood Mac track on the album. It’s got Christine’s breathy vocal, a bouncy beat and a catchy chorus. It’s really good. But not as good as “So Excited” and “Ask Anybody,” which would have fit just perfectly on a Fleetwood Mac album from the seventies, when the band took chances and was not afraid to be dark and evidence its roots.

And maybe because “Christine McVie” was a relative disappointment, Christine retreated. To the point where the press still follows Stevie Nicks’s every move, but Christine’s been forgotten.

But for those of us who just didn’t listen to the songs on the radio, who bought the albums and read all the credits, saw the musicians as three-dimensional, Christine McVie was always the queen. She may not have been a witch, but we’d still shake if we approached her in a bar, we know she’d be honest and forthright and tolerate no b.s.

That’s a rock star.

Christine McVie blazed her own path, we were in love with her back then, and we still are now.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

Lefsetz Letter

Rhinofy-Christine McVie

Lindsey Buckingham gets all the credit. Stevie Nicks gets all the attention. But Christine McVie was the glue. She bridged the gap from obscurity to fame. Nicks twirled, but it was Christine with her understated beauty that enraptured us. And it was Christine’s track that broke the new Fleetwood Mac. Yes, “Over My Head” paved the way for “Rhiannon.” And Bill Clinton’s theme song, “Don’t Stop,” was not the work of an American, but a Brit, Christine McVie.

And for a while there, Christine was part of the Fleetwood Mac reunion, but then she dropped out. And too often band names are brand names and individuals are forgotten, but in Christine’s case, this is unjust.

But all her Fleetwood Mac tunes stay in rotation. And if you loved those, maybe you missed her 1984 solo album, produced by Russ Titelman, that had some traction but then disappeared, as if it were never made, but there are a few tracks that I’ll never forget, that titillate me to the core.

Like “So Excited”…

Well, I’m so excited
My baby is on his way

It’s the jangly guitar part and then the pure voice. The track exudes honesty, which is the heart of great music. You really feel like Christine has been waiting all day, cleaning the house, prepping her look, waiting for him to show up.

Who hasn’t done this?

It’s the essence of love. The anticipation!

I can’t eat
I can’t sleep
Since the first time that I saw you
Somebody tell me
What’s a poor girl supposed to do

Eureka! Why is it that we lose our appetite? Suddenly we can survive solely on the butterflies in our stomach. We feel detached from the world but more a part of it than ever before.

Well, I know my baby
He makes me want to scream and shout
Ooh, he shows me
Shows me what it’s all about

Funny how all the manuals tell you to be cool. Come on, every year there’s a best seller supposedly delivering the key to romance. That you should hang back, not show your emotions, not move too fast, that you need to make them prove their love and commitment.

Hogwash!

Love is a runaway train. A journey you’ve waited for your whole life that’s even better than you imagined. And when you’re caught up, you never want to let go. They say money is power. That’s completely wrong. Love is power. Never forget it.

And just as magical as the acoustic guitar is in “I’m So Excited,” the piano entrances you in “Ask Anybody.”

He’s a devil and an angel
Ooh, the combination’s driving me wild

Don’t we all know it! We fall prey to their wink, their charisma, but they don’t return our phone calls, we see them out with other people, we want to let go, but we can’t.

He’s a saint and he’s a sinner
Ooh, somehow he acts just like a beginner
I guess he’s still a child

Oftentimes they are. They’ve gotten by on their looks. They’re flawed. But we get caught up in their energy, we get on their trip casting aside doubt until…they let us down and we crash so hard we wonder if it was all worth it, even though we know it was…

Ask anybody
They’ll say I’m going wrong
But that’s not what I want

You ask for advice, but you don’t want to listen to it. What you really want is someone to be irrational, just like you, to tell you to go for it. And despite all the naysaying, you keep going back to the well, you can’t let the person go, until you’ve been so hurt that you admit to your friends they were right.

But that’s all right ’cause I know somehow
We can make it right and I’m putting up a fight
Somehow, somewhere he’ll change
And we’ll try it all over again without all the pain

She’s delusional. You’ve seen the movie. You’ve probably even lived the movie. It’s not until you’re old and gray that you finally realize that people don’t change, and that you certainly can’t change them via hope and sheer will. If only they were a little bit different…but they’re not.

And then there’s that wistful solo! The electronically treated sound that Titelman used to such great success on Steve Winwood’s “Back In The High Life.” And when it comes in again, unexpectedly, at the end of the song, you can just see it, her staring out the window, sitting in her kitchen, lying in bed, fully awake, engrossed by the thought of him, unable to let him go, even though she never really had him.

And speaking of Winwood, he vocalizes on “One In A Million.”

But none of the aforementioned tracks were hits.

But “Got A Hold On Me” was. Maybe because it’s the most Fleetwood Mac track on the album. It’s got Christine’s breathy vocal, a bouncy beat and a catchy chorus. It’s really good. But not as good as “So Excited” and “Ask Anybody,” which would have fit just perfectly on a Fleetwood Mac album from the seventies, when the band took chances and was not afraid to be dark and evidence its roots.

And maybe because “Christine McVie” was a relative disappointment, Christine retreated. To the point where the press still follows Stevie Nicks’s every move, but Christine’s been forgotten.

But for those of us who just didn’t listen to the songs on the radio, who bought the albums and read all the credits, saw the musicians as three-dimensional, Christine McVie was always the queen. She may not have been a witch, but we’d still shake if we approached her in a bar, we know she’d be honest and forthright and tolerate no b.s.

That’s a rock star.

Christine McVie blazed her own path, we were in love with her back then, and we still are now.
^ This.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Dodfather, I bought that album on vinyl on Ebay, but you can also find the cd version at a low price: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40
Old 04-19-2013, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

Lefsetz Letter
I read that article some days ago and I liked it.

"Ask anybody
They'll say I'm going wrong
But that's not what I want"

You ask for advice, but you don't want to listen to it. “

That reminds me of another song, “Only over you”…I think she wrote it in 1980/81, but never released it until the end of her relationship with Dennis Wilson, in 1982 (for “Mirage”):

“People think I'm crazy
But they don't know
Thought love had failed me
But now, they're watching it grow
Angel, please don't go
I miss you when you're gone
They say I'm a silly girl
But I'm not a fool”

That makes me think that even in “Ask anybody”, after 2 years from Dennis’ death and 3 years since the end of their relationship, someway she was still in love with him and was sure that her love for Dennis was right. We know that in 1984 she had already met Eddy Quintela: maybe Eddy, at the time, was the only one who helped her forgetting Dennis and the pain she felt for his death and the way their relationship ended. Maybe Chris felt guilty for not having helped him enough (but, at the time, she did all she could, it was just a lost cause). At the same time, she had to leave Dennis ‘cos it was becoming impossible to deal with him because of his addiction to drugs and alcohol. In fact, then she says:

"But that's all right 'cause I know somehow We can make it right and I'm putting up a fight Somehow, somewhere he'll change And we'll try it all over again without all the pain"

Is it another song she wrote one year early, before his death, when she was still hoping they could be together again, trusting he would have changed?
Even if I really love Stevie, I totally agree with this part:

“And maybe because "Christine McVie" was a relative disappointment, Christine retreated. To the point where the press still follows Stevie Nicks's every move, but Christine's been forgotten. But for those of us who just didn't listen to the songs on the radio, who bought the albums and read all the credits, saw the musicians as three-dimensional, Christine McVie was always the queen. (….) That's a rock star.”

I like her 1984 album: not only because it’s Chris’, but because there are some great songs in it. For example, “Got a hold on me”, “Love will show us how”, “Who’s dreaming this dream” and “So excited”.
A completely different style from “The Legendary Christine Perfect”, my fav album: during her "blues years" her voice was huskier, she was still happy and full of dreams. Yes, there were always hopes and dreams in her lyrics, but that feeling of grief and loss was already there too, even if the real heartbreaks she endured during the years were still far away. Obviously, she was "stronger" at the time she wrote songs like “No road is the right road”, “For you”, “Close to me”, “Wait and see”, etc… this is what I miss about her, but I understand that she’s almost 70 years old today. She had a stressful and eventful life with FM, furthermore the men she loved all ended by using and/or betraying her. She is simply tired of all of this, and you can feel it in most of her songs, from 1977 to 2004.