Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-06-2023, 11:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Well said, Sue.

Tusk and Say You Will are albums I choose to play when I want to be taken on a journey, with peaks and valleys, storms and sunshine (if not quite rainbows), and surprises with every twist in the road. The terrain can be rough but rewarding.

In less poetic terms, Tusk has long been an album I play when I do a big house clean, and Say You Will is a go-to for road trips.
SYW is a bit of a mess, but a mess I enjoy. The middle section sags (for me) but there are at least 8-10 gems on it. And I would rather have a big, baggy, uneven record, than an anemic one. I think even the failures on SYW have substance.
Old 12-06-2023, 11:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Well said, Sue.

Tusk and Say You Will are albums I choose to play when I want to be taken on a journey, with peaks and valleys, storms and sunshine (if not quite rainbows), and surprises with every twist in the road. The terrain can be rough but rewarding.

In less poetic terms, Tusk has long been an album I play when I do a big house clean, and Say You Will is a go-to for road trips.
A-Men
SYW is very much like Tusk. It has its quirkiness. People call both albums cold. Both albums are long. Many songs created not for pop radio like Illune and Come. Much of both albums are Lindsey's creations. Many Tusk like elements exist on SYW.
Old 12-06-2023, 10:07 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
SYW is a bit of a mess, but a mess I enjoy. The middle section sags (for me) but there are at least 8-10 gems on it. And I would rather have a big, baggy, uneven record, than an anemic one. I think even the failures on SYW have substance.
Say You Will is still somewhat cohesive despite it sounding like two solo records mashed together. That could be attributed to the production, where Buckingham has his fingerprint all over the record. Going into the album several years ago and with minimal background information about its development, I expected Say You Will to be a return to the Buckingham Nicks era with a greater sense of collaboration between the two artists. That never happened, as Buckingham already solo album over 90% complete for several years and was anxious to release at least some of those songs in any form. As such, the collaboration between the two simply amounted to Buckingham tacking some of Nicks' backing vocals on a few songs and calling it a day.

In terms of the songs, there is no shortage of great material. "Murrow Turning Over In His Grave" was among my most listened to songs this year and ranks amongst Buckingham's best work in my opinion. The album's most adventurous songs are arguably my favorite ("Murrow", "Red Rover", "Come", "Everybody Finds Out", although I find "Illume" to be rather aimless. Even some of the more conventional songs like "Miranda", "Running Through the Garden", "Steal Your Heart Away", and "Bleed to Love Her" have a lot to offer.
Old 12-07-2023, 07:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkAThinLine. View Post
Say You Will is still somewhat cohesive despite it sounding like two solo records mashed together. That could be attributed to the production, where Buckingham has his fingerprint all over the record. Going into the album several years ago and with minimal background information about its development, I expected Say You Will to be a return to the Buckingham Nicks era with a greater sense of collaboration between the two artists. That never happened, as Buckingham already solo album over 90% complete for several years and was anxious to release at least some of those songs in any form. As such, the collaboration between the two simply amounted to Buckingham tacking some of Nicks' backing vocals on a few songs and calling it a day.

In terms of the songs, there is no shortage of great material. "Murrow Turning Over In His Grave" was among my most listened to songs this year and ranks amongst Buckingham's best work in my opinion. The album's most adventurous songs are arguably my favorite ("Murrow", "Red Rover", "Come", "Everybody Finds Out", although I find "Illume" to be rather aimless. Even some of the more conventional songs like "Miranda", "Running Through the Garden", "Steal Your Heart Away", and "Bleed to Love Her" have a lot to offer.
Everybody Finds Out is the Mac's most explosive song IMHO. Much more than the Chain or GYOW or even Isn't It Midnight. I wish they would have made more songs like that. The Mac is known for their rhythm section but sometimes they venture out to do something like Everybody Finds Out. The song has many layers. Mick, John, and Lindsey are on fire. It's an incredible piece of music.
It should have been the single from the album.
Old 12-08-2023, 08:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkAThinLine. View Post

SYW is really panned around here but there is undevoted love for Tusk. Many dismiss abrasive songs like Illume and Come as going too far creatively and not making sense from the band. However I see songs like The Ledge on Tusk crafted in the same way. IMHO they are equal in not being commercial, being something totally different from Fleetwood Mac. I bet Lindsey would probably agree. It took 20 years for many to warm up to Tusk. I hope the haters of SYW will also warm up to the album. In some areas SYW is more raw than some Tusk songs. In the end, both albums reflect Lindsey in being a little commercial and lots of creativity aka painting. On both albums the rest of the band was not really happy with the process and protested it during the recording process. If anything Stevie was more upset with SYW than Tusk.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 12-08-2023 at 09:00 AM..
Old 12-08-2023, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It took 20 years to warm up to Tusk. It’s 20 years since SYW….but not too much warming. Tusk was a creative masterpiece, SYW is still viewed as an underwhelming disappointment. Numerous high points, but overall and collectively a bit of a ‘noise’ and not a really pleasurable listening experience. Listening to Tusk now, I can play it ‘Over and Over’

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 12-08-2023, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
It took 20 years to warm up to Tusk. It’s 20 years since SYW….but not too much warming. Tusk was a creative masterpiece, SYW is still viewed as an underwhelming disappointment. Numerous high points, but overall and collectively a bit of a ‘noise’ and not a really pleasurable listening experience. Listening to Tusk now, I can play it ‘Over and Over’
THIS.

SYW SUCKS. I should burn a BuckVie disc, followed by 7-8 of the tolerable songs on SYW.
Old 12-08-2023, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
THIS.

SYW SUCKS. I should burn a BuckVie disc, followed by 7-8 of the tolerable songs on SYW.
Agreed. SYW is poopada.
Old 12-08-2023, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Not 20 years but something like that. In the early 80s at my fandon beginning a friend of mine had taped just Tusk disc 2, and I always asked to play the Tusk song. When he played the whole cassette I liked Angel too, but I found kind of monotonous that album. And used to ask Did you skip Sara? I didn't learn it was a double album yet.

It was when I got my own Tusk album that I started to like it, but it took a long while. Before Tusk I got Live. Actually Live was the first Fleetwood Mac album I bought. And it was very very interesting and peculiar to hear live versions for the first time, and later the studio version of many songs.
Old 12-08-2023, 04:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I really agree with you about tusk taking almost 20 years to warm up to, but I have a theory about that as well; we all loved Rumours, but since Rumours was on such a high pedestal, by huge fans and casual fans, eventually overexposure had us pulling out Rumours less often to listen to and turning to other FM albums, and lo and behold, “what about this Tusk album we listened to a couple of times? Hey it’s not as bad as I remembered! Heck, some of these songs are pretty good after all!”

Except for Tusk, Sara, What Makes You Think You’re the One, and That’s All For Everyone, I couldn’t get into Tusk. I remember in 1988 I finally grew to like Storms, Beautiful Child, and Think About Me, but it wasn’t until years after that that I came to love I know I’m Not Wrong, Over and Over, Brown Eyes, Save Me a Place, Never Make Me Cry, and I think it was because I was so hungry for ‘new’ FM material that I turned to the one FM album I rarely listened to to get my fix.
Old 12-08-2023, 05:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I think it was because I was so hungry for ‘new’ FM material that I turned to the one FM album I rarely listened to to get my fix.
I don't coincide with some songs you mention, but do agree with that reason.
Old 12-13-2023, 09:53 AM

I do like Illume. I know a lot of you don't. The mood, much like WISYA fits her voice. The guitar is pretty damn good, too.