The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-03-2023, 01:15 PM

Christine had written the music. Then used some of Lindsey's music that he had lying around, to add to it. She couldn't figure out how what to sing over it.

Finally, (after a long while) she went by the pool and kept playing it over and over and wrote the melody and lyrics.

That's from previous interviews.
Old 11-03-2023, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I don’t think anyone doubts that. I’m willing to bet most of Lindsey’s songs on Tango don’t have Christine, John, or Mick on them. And Lindsey has always said he gave up his solo album to Tango.
Yes, it’s true that Lindsey gave up on his solo work but Mick ,John and Christine are definitely on his songs. Im sure some playing could have been added to some already recorded tracks by Lindsey. With the time the four spent in the studio it wasn’t just Christine’s songs they were working on …oh and Stevie’s two weeks.
Old 11-03-2023, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
Yes, it’s true that Lindsey gave up on his solo work but Mick ,John and Christine are definitely on his songs. Im sure some playing could have been added to some already recorded tracks by Lindsey. With the time the four spent in the studio it wasn’t just Christine’s songs they were working on …oh and Stevie’s two weeks.
They spent a year making You and I Part 1 and 2.
Old 11-03-2023, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
They spent a year making You and I Part 1 and 2.

I wish both parts made it on the album. I love the way the song appears on the box set.
Old 11-03-2023, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I really doubt anyone but Lindsey is on Big Love, and I’m not sure about Family Man, as I can’t listen to it without cringing. I’m really not even sure about Tango in the Night, but Big Love? Yeah, that’s all Lindsey.
Old 11-03-2023, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I wish both parts made it on the album. I love the way the song appears on the box set.
I agree this collab between LB and CM is really first rate. I listen to that deluxe version too. In headphones it's wonderful.
Old 11-03-2023, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I agree this collab between LB and CM is really first rate. I listen to that deluxe version too. In headphones it's wonderful.
Yes, I agree it also sounds great blasting on a great sound system. It’s definitely one of my favorites.
Old 11-03-2023, 02:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Run View Post
What a great read!
Two quotes jumped out to me.

--After your marriage to Eddy Quintela in ’86 you started writing songs together.

(Grimaces) "Yeah. That’s… not an area I want to talk about. Let’s just say that (laughs)… I wrote most of the songs. Little Lies was very much my song, and it’s not about me, and it’s not about Eddy. It’s just a song I wrote, lying out by my pool with a pad and paper and that’s what I came up with. Counter-vocals written across Lindsey’s tune and… I just kind of made it up."--

She basically is calling Little Lies a cowrite between her and Lindsey. Lindsey has often talked about the fine line between cowriting and his production style and there are several songs that could have garnered a cowrite credit should have he pushed for one. Her wording here makes it sound like she wrote the words (and likely the melody) over preexisting music and hooks that Lindsey wrote / created. If you listen to the Lindsey centric demos of Little Lies that are floating around the internet, it lends some credence to this thinking.

--What was the trigger for leaving Fleetwood Mac in 1998? Did it have anything to do with the Mac albums that preceded it, Behind The Mask (1990) and Time (’95)?
"I don’t think anyone likes those albums. They’re terrible"--

I knew her disdain for Time, but she speaks in very specific plural language here. Those albums and they're terrible spell out pretty clearly its not just Time she despises, but with time (pun intended) she came to disown its predecessor, Behind the Mask as well.
I think she is referring to Lindsey's track but mostly for inspiration for the song Little Lies. He did not write the lyrics but many of the lyrics were about him. In 1987 she was asked, what are the little lies? She described the little lies as being Lindsey's. She said that everyone in the band realized he was going to leave the band but he would never come out and say it. He would drop little hints here and there as if leading on band members. They were sweet little lies. In some ways this song was a real premonition because he did leave. He also gave mixed signals aka "little lies" about touring with the band. I think its just a coincidence but its weird how he fades out and disappears in the video almost as a ghost.

Its also interesting that she reveals in this interview that Mick was concerned Lindsey was going to leave the band and that was the reason he gave him full control of Tusk.

You can see Lindsey's inspiration for the song and written coming from his view

Although I'm not making plans
I hope that you'll understand there's a reason why
Close your, close your, close your eyes
No more broken hearts
We're better off apart, let's give it a try
Tell me, tell me, tell me lies
We're better off apart, let's give it a try
Tell me, tell me, tell me lies
Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies
Tell me lies
Tell me, tell me lies
Oh no-no, you can't disguise

Last edited by Macfan4life; 11-03-2023 at 03:09 PM..
Old 11-03-2023, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Yes, I agree it also sounds great blasting on a great sound system. It’s definitely one of my favorites.
The transition is fabulous, too. I love that little pause. Seems like it's slightly different speed than the original album cut.
Old 11-04-2023, 11:15 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I really doubt anyone but Lindsey is on Big Love, and I’m not sure about Family Man, as I can’t listen to it without cringing. I’m really not even sure about Tango in the Night, but Big Love? Yeah, that’s all Lindsey.
The bass guitar on "Big Love" is too dynamic to be something that Lindsey would play. My guess is that John McVie plays on that song.
Old 11-04-2023, 03:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkAThinLine. View Post
The bass guitar on "Big Love" is too dynamic to be something that Lindsey would play. My guess is that John McVie plays on that song.
Pretty sure in one of John's Q&As he said he played all the bass parts on Tango...

--Lis
Old 11-04-2023, 05:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I miss her so much.

So was the relationship that ended in 2004 with Eddy or someone else? I seem to recall during the publicity for the BuckVie album that she told Lindsey she didn't know what to write about, and he said "Sex." Or that could just be my imagination.
Old 11-05-2023, 07:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer View Post
I miss her so much.

So was the relationship that ended in 2004 with Eddy or someone else? I seem to recall during the publicity for the BuckVie album that she told Lindsey she didn't know what to write about, and he said "Sex." Or that could just be my imagination.
That was with someone else. Ed I think moved out by very early 2001 although the divorce wasn't finalized for a couple of years.

--Lis
Old 11-05-2023, 09:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I wish the box set had Christine’s vocal for Part 2. I have always felt her vocal and version of the song was far superior.
Old 11-08-2023, 01:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I wish the box set had Christine’s vocal for Part 2. I have always felt her vocal and version of the song was far superior.
Are you guys talking about “You and I”? Those are two underappreciated songs. They’re both like little wisps of floral scents, which is probably why they fly under the radar.

moviekinks.blogspot.com