The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 12-19-2023, 10:22 PM
bombaysaffires bombaysaffires is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Coast
Posts: 6,250
Default

eh, I choose to believe the words we heard come straight out of the songwriter's mouth than some secondhand claim by an unknown journo.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-20-2023, 07:03 AM
Villavic's Avatar
Villavic Villavic is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Lima Peru
Posts: 4,190
Default

If there were conflicts between Lindsey and Christine during 1975 recording sessions, probably it wasn't big deal. Or were overshadowed by those between John and Lindsey; those differences were mentioned in the Classic Albums Making of Rumours video, but more detailed in Mick's first book, all about J&L, but nothing between L&C:

And all did not go smoothly in the studio. Lindsey was full of ideas about how his new band should sound. He's a record producer at heart, and felt strongly about the way the music should come across. He'd sit down at the drums and suggest rhythms and parts. "Hey Mick, try this. " But when he started doing that with John McVie, he ended up in a whole heap of trouble. John has always been a bit overprotective of his own ability and never liked suggestions. So John and Lindsey got straight to loggerheads. That was the start-off, and of course Lindsey couldn't win. (McVie is a consummate game-player, and Lindsey just didn't know. If he wants, McVie can get me on my knees, exhausted, begging for him to stop.) Bloody-minded, John would growl, "I'm not sitting here being told what to do by someone who's just joined the ****ing band!"
There was a pecking order, and Lindsey had to be taught some tact or McVie would attack him. John would say, "Hang on a see, you're talkie' to McVie here!"

All this, I thought, was very healthy in the long run. At one point they told each other to **** off, and that was it. After that, there was a balancing situation between their personalities. Lindsey was confronted with the fact that although he had been dominant in Buckingham Nicks, now he was in a band, one which did things by consensus. Fleetwood Mac has always been a democracy.


Well, that last sentence, I'm sure it's far from accurate.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-20-2023, 11:17 AM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Posts: 15,774
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
If there were conflicts between Lindsey and Christine during 1975 recording sessions, probably it wasn't big deal. Or were overshadowed by those between John and Lindsey; those differences were mentioned in the Classic Albums Making of Rumours video, but more detailed in Mick's first book, all about J&L, but nothing between L&C:

And all did not go smoothly in the studio. Lindsey was full of ideas about how his new band should sound. He's a record producer at heart, and felt strongly about the way the music should come across. He'd sit down at the drums and suggest rhythms and parts. "Hey Mick, try this. " But when he started doing that with John McVie, he ended up in a whole heap of trouble. John has always been a bit overprotective of his own ability and never liked suggestions. So John and Lindsey got straight to loggerheads. That was the start-off, and of course Lindsey couldn't win. (McVie is a consummate game-player, and Lindsey just didn't know. If he wants, McVie can get me on my knees, exhausted, begging for him to stop.) Bloody-minded, John would growl, "I'm not sitting here being told what to do by someone who's just joined the ****ing band!"
There was a pecking order, and Lindsey had to be taught some tact or McVie would attack him. John would say, "Hang on a see, you're talkie' to McVie here!"

All this, I thought, was very healthy in the long run. At one point they told each other to **** off, and that was it. After that, there was a balancing situation between their personalities. Lindsey was confronted with the fact that although he had been dominant in Buckingham Nicks, now he was in a band, one which did things by consensus. Fleetwood Mac has always been a democracy.


Well, that last sentence, I'm sure it's far from accurate.
It was a democracy until $tevie became the cash cow....err, goat.
__________________
Christine McVie- she radiated both purity and sass in equal measure, bringing light to the music of the 70s. RIP. - John Taylor(Duran Duran)
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-20-2023, 02:45 PM
Villavic's Avatar
Villavic Villavic is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Lima Peru
Posts: 4,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
It was a democracy until $tevie became the cash cow....err, goat.
No, it happened long before. I don't think the Tusk album was a product of democracy. They granted Lindsey many of his requests in favor of not leaving the band. That is not genuine consensus nor democracy.

The result was that some of Lindsey's things were recorded in his basement at home. Some of the rhythm tracks are Lindsey banging on shoeboxes. Some of the vocals were overdubbed on his hands and knees in his bathroom. I understood what Lindsey was going through, but neither John nor Chris really appreciated this method. It was felt that this kind of segregation away from the caldron of traditional Fleetwood Mac group creativity in the studio was . . . unhealthy. Lindsey himself later speculated that he might have been selfish.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-20-2023, 02:56 PM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Posts: 15,774
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
No, it happened long before. I don't think the Tusk album was a product of democracy. They granted Lindsey many of his requests in favor of not leaving the band. That is not genuine consensus nor democracy.

The result was that some of Lindsey's things were recorded in his basement at home. Some of the rhythm tracks are Lindsey banging on shoeboxes. Some of the vocals were overdubbed on his hands and knees in his bathroom. I understood what Lindsey was going through, but neither John nor Chris really appreciated this method. It was felt that this kind of segregation away from the caldron of traditional Fleetwood Mac group creativity in the studio was . . . unhealthy. Lindsey himself later speculated that he might have been selfish.
You're correct. Lindsey is what made them superstars, with his vision on Rumours. How could you let that leave?
__________________
Christine McVie- she radiated both purity and sass in equal measure, bringing light to the music of the 70s. RIP. - John Taylor(Duran Duran)
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-21-2023, 09:03 AM
bwboy's Avatar
bwboy bwboy is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,698
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
No, it happened long before. I don't think the Tusk album was a product of democracy. They granted Lindsey many of his requests in favor of not leaving the band. That is not genuine consensus nor democracy.

The result was that some of Lindsey's things were recorded in his basement at home. Some of the rhythm tracks are Lindsey banging on shoeboxes. Some of the vocals were overdubbed on his hands and knees in his bathroom. I understood what Lindsey was going through, but neither John nor Chris really appreciated this method. It was felt that this kind of segregation away from the caldron of traditional Fleetwood Mac group creativity in the studio was . . . unhealthy. Lindsey himself later speculated that he might have been selfish.
Lindsey would be correct- it was selfish of him to record FM songs on his own. He should have made a solo record instead. But hereís the thing- the band LET Lindsey do that. They could have said no, itís a group album so weíre going to record it as a group, but they didnít. So if anyone was unhappy, they were just as much at fault for letting it happen.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-21-2023, 09:15 AM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 16,427
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
You're correct. Lindsey is what made them superstars, with his vision on Rumours. How could you let that leave?
I don't agree that it was just him. I think FM had many aspects and attributes in their music and personalities that made them become a super group.

I think with Lindsey he was the one that resisted any corporate entity taking over what they should or should not do in terms of art. I really respect him for that. As you know, the other members were more than happy to keep going down the mgmt. road of being told what to do.
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Fleetwood Mac Tour John McVie Bass Guitar Pick picture

Fleetwood Mac Tour John McVie Bass Guitar Pick

$25.00



Rare Scene 1981 Benatar John Denver Christie McVie HUGE ADS picture

Rare Scene 1981 Benatar John Denver Christie McVie HUGE ADS

$12.00



RARE

RARE "Fleetwood Mac" John McVie Hand Signed B&W Promotional Photo COA

$149.99



Fleetwood Mac John McVie Guitar Pick 006.6 Vintage picture

Fleetwood Mac John McVie Guitar Pick 006.6 Vintage

$69.00



Fleetwood Mac 1987 Concert Program Photos Stevie Nicks Excellent+ picture

Fleetwood Mac 1987 Concert Program Photos Stevie Nicks Excellent+

$27.00




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved