Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-30-2023, 11:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
What happened to Sheryl Crow?
She was just inducted to the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame.
Old 11-30-2023, 11:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
It’s interesting how Stevie can sell so many tickets but her solo work hasn’t won Grammys
She's won around 13(not sure of the exact amount) Grammy's but they've all been off camera.
Old 11-30-2023, 12:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
She was just inducted to the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame.
She played the game. Showed up to perform at the ceremonies, inducted FM and Pat Benatar. Meanwhile k.d. lang, Salt-N-Pepa , Emmylou Harris, Melissa Etheridge, and PJ Harvey get nothing from the Rock Hall.
Old 11-30-2023, 12:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She's won around 13(not sure of the exact amount) Grammy's but they've all been off camera.
Sheryl has more Grammys than Stevie. Stevie’s been nominated but has 2 from Fleetwood Mac.
Old 11-30-2023, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Sheryl has more Grammys than Stevie. Stevie’s been nominated but has 2 from Fleetwood Mac.
But $tevie $ay$ that $he's a LEGEND!!!!!! WTF???
Old 11-30-2023, 06:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
But $tevie $ay$ that $he's a LEGEND!!!!!! WTF???
I believe $tevie had a lot of pull in getting Sheryl in. $tevie should have done the right thing and pushed for Melissa Etheridge. Melissa opened the door for Sheryl Crow and Alanis.
Old 11-30-2023, 08:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Melissa opened the door for Sheryl Crow and Alanis.
Huh? How so?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-03-2023, 07:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyMI View Post
She went all woke and obnoxious and basically told 1/2 her fan base that she doesn't want their money. Had her first 4 or 5 albums. I wrote her off years ago. Go woke. Go broke. It's true.
That is true. I loved her album Detours, but she did a lot of moralizing and we don't need anymore preachy people. Some of the lyrics really annoyed me. I kept thinking what she is trying to prove?

I knew after she made that album that she had been indoctrinated. It's soo sad.
Old 12-03-2023, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

What does a grammy mean or being inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Pretty much nothing if regular people don't remember you and you can't sell tickets.
Old 12-03-2023, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Has Sheryl even toured recently?

If she’s having trouble selling tickets, it’s because she took extended time off to raise children. Taking extended time off also hurt Lindsey and Christine with concert ticket sales.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-04-2023, 02:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Has Sheryl even toured recently?

If she’s having trouble selling tickets, it’s because she took extended time off to raise children. Taking extended time off also hurt Lindsey and Christine with concert ticket sales.
With no offense to my favorite two members, MASSES were NEVER going to gobble up Lindsey or Christine. They're the best, but lack what the masses crave. Fleetwood Mac was the vehicle for their talents to be consumed by the masses.
Old 12-09-2023, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Huh? How so?
A lot of cisgender straight men overlook or don't appreciate Melissa Etheridge's contributions to pop and rock and roll music, or her pioneering choice to present herself as an androgynous guitarist and not have her tummy out and cleavage revealed. They dismiss her because of her sexuality - same as Indigo Girls who I also believe were titans in the industry.

In 1988, there really were no new singer/songwriter females wielding guitars at the time. Melissa took the female with the guitar example from Joan Baez, Bonnie Raitt, Joni Mitchell and updated it with hard rock that reached audiences beyond acoustic and blues listeners, and she toured constantly. Melissa wrote and continues to write all of her own songs, unlike Bonnie.

After Melissa released successive albums starting in 1988, then came singers such as Sheryl Crow (same age as Melissa), Alanis Morissette, PJ Harvey, Fionna Apple, etc. Melissa was around trying to make it on her own years before Sheryl.
Old 12-09-2023, 04:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
A lot of cisgender straight men overlook or don't appreciate Melissa Etheridge's contributions to pop and rock and roll music, or her pioneering choice to present herself as an androgynous guitarist and not have her tummy out and cleavage revealed. They dismiss her because of her sexuality - same as Indigo Girls who I also believe were titans in the industry.
Chrissie Hynde, Joan Jett, Kim Deal, and k.d. lang in shambles. Even Sinead was somewhat androgynous.

Quote:
In 1988, there really were no new singer/songwriter females wielding guitars at the time.
The Bangles in shambles, now. Their biggest hit was in 1988, and they most certainly wielded guitars.

Quote:
After Melissa released successive albums starting in 1988, then came singers such as Sheryl Crow (same age as Melissa), Alanis Morissette, PJ Harvey, Fionna Apple, etc. Melissa was around trying to make it on her own years before Sheryl.
I think you want there to be more there than actually is. Between 1988-1991, there was a major paradigm shift in popular music. Pop fluff like Wilson Phillips, Bananarama, Taylor Dane, and all of the hair metal guys gave way to darker, edgier songwriting, and Nirvana seems to be that moment that blew the roof off of everything. And, Melissa didn’t have a top 40 hit until 1993.

Honestly, when I first heard Melissa Etheridge, I thought Taylor Dane had a new song out. When I first saw her video, her sexuality wasn’t obvious and wouldn’t have changed my opinion of her songs. By the time Melissa hit, k.d. was already popular

Sheryl Crow was in Michael Jackson’s backing band before Melissa even recorded her first album. Melissa didn’t open up any doors for her.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-09-2023, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Chrissie Hynde, Joan Jett, Kim Deal, and k.d. lang in shambles. Even Sinead was somewhat androgynous.

The Bangles in shambles, now. Their biggest hit was in 1988, and they most certainly wielded guitars.

I think you want there to be more there than actually is. Between 1988-1991, there was a major paradigm shift in popular music. Pop fluff like Wilson Phillips, Bananarama, Taylor Dane, and all of the hair metal guys gave way to darker, edgier songwriting, and Nirvana seems to be that moment that blew the roof off of everything. And, Melissa didn’t have a top 40 hit until 1993.

Honestly, when I first heard Melissa Etheridge, I thought Taylor Dane had a new song out. When I first saw her video, her sexuality wasn’t obvious and wouldn’t have changed my opinion of her songs. By the time Melissa hit, k.d. was already popular

Sheryl Crow was in Michael Jackson’s backing band before Melissa even recorded her first album. Melissa didn’t open up any doors for her.
Your opinion. I don’t want anything to be there- we in the LGBTQIA+ community feel differently. Sheryl Crow was a background singer not a musician. k.d. lang got popular from a duet with Roy Orbison and she doesn’t lead with guitar. And even though Bring Me Some Water, Similar Features, and Like The Way I do weren’t top 40 hits, they’re still popular songs.
Old 12-09-2023, 05:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, if “THE LGBTQ+ community” says it, it must be infallible, evidence to the contrary be damned. Poor Chrissie, Joan, and k.d. Their androgynous presence apparently doesn’t count. Poor Bangles. Their vaginas and guitars don’t matter because their existence is inconvenient to “THE LGBTQ+ community” being able to claim Melissa as “the first new female guitarist since Bonnie Raitt.”

And, LOL on completely discounting Sheryl Crow singing for Michael Jackson. That was probably the biggest tour of that era. No possible way her industry connections from that tour didn’t help her career.

THE Stephen Hopkins