Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-10-2023, 01:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Well, if “THE LGBTQ+ community” says it, it must be infallible, evidence to the contrary be damned. Poor Chrissie, Joan, and k.d. Their androgynous presence apparently doesn’t count. Poor Bangles. Their vaginas and guitars don’t matter because their existence is inconvenient to “THE LGBTQ+ community” being able to claim Melissa as “the first new female guitarist since Bonnie Raitt.”

And, LOL on completely discounting Sheryl Crow singing for Michael Jackson. That was probably the biggest tour of that era. No possible way her industry connections from that tour didn’t help her career.
I think Sheryl has talent but I am not a fan and I personally believe she was part of one of Stevie's worst solo albums. Having said that, her career fascinates me and I respect her so much for her career. She got her start singing a McDonalds jingle locally in Missouri that the corporation took notice and made a national commercial. She believes her innocent mid-western look got her the job with touring with Michael Jackson. She admits the other girls were better and looked better. She was pure innocence.
Her interview on Howard Stern a few years ago was fascinating.
Old 12-10-2023, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

“I would say I would like to do a lot of work for Melissa Etheridge [to get inducted],” says Sheryl Crow, “because I think not only does she have a lot of hits that still stand the test of time, but she also opened the doors for a lot of not just women, but people in general. So I’m hoping that she gets recognized. I mean, she’s very deserving.”

https://nypost.com/2023/11/02/entert...l-of-fame/amp/
Old 12-10-2023, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I think Sheryl has talent but I am not a fan and I personally believe she was part of one of Stevie's worst solo albums. Having said that, her career fascinates me and I respect her so much for her career. She got her start singing a McDonalds jingle locally in Missouri that the corporation took notice and made a national commercial. She believes her innocent mid-western look got her the job with touring with Michael Jackson. She admits the other girls were better and looked better. She was pure innocence.
Her interview on Howard Stern a few years ago was fascinating.
gonna have to disagree there. People often conflate all the songs on TISL with Sheryl. She did NOT produce the entire album, and that's part of its coherence problem. The stuff she DID work on I think gave Stevie the kick in the pants she needed.... it was more guitar-based stuff, great harmonies (both things that are key elements to what made Stevie's stuff so good from the beginning of her career). She didn't produce synth pop throwaways, she produced songs that sound more like a adult, mature woman and I for one really liked it (still do)
Old 12-11-2023, 09:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
But $tevie $ay$ that $he's a LEGEND!!!!!! WTF???
We like it or not, I think Stevie will be remembered as a legend.

Barbara Stanwick, Greta Garbo, Judy Garland, Gloria Swanson. They never won an Oscar. They are legends.

Freddie Mercury, The Beach Boys, The Doors. They never won a grammy. Diana Ross is still alive, never won a grammy, but I think she is already a legend.

Stevie Nicks may have become a jerk. But I think she will be remembered as a legend.
Old 12-11-2023, 09:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Diana Ross does have Achievement Grammys for Supremes and solo work. It’s like Bruce getting an Achievement Tony for his Broadway show.
Old 12-11-2023, 12:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
A lot of cisgender straight men overlook or don't appreciate Melissa Etheridge's contributions to pop and rock and roll music, or her pioneering choice to present herself as an androgynous guitarist and not have her tummy out and cleavage revealed. They dismiss her because of her sexuality - same as Indigo Girls who I also believe were titans in the industry.

In 1988, there really were no new singer/songwriter females wielding guitars at the time. Melissa took the female with the guitar example from Joan Baez, Bonnie Raitt, Joni Mitchell and updated it with hard rock that reached audiences beyond acoustic and blues listeners, and she toured constantly. Melissa wrote and continues to write all of her own songs, unlike Bonnie.

After Melissa released successive albums starting in 1988, then came singers such as Sheryl Crow (same age as Melissa), Alanis Morissette, PJ Harvey, Fionna Apple, etc. Melissa was around trying to make it on her own years before Sheryl.

whoa. they are same age? Melissa aged poorly. Was it drugs? Or bad genes?

Is it Memorex, or is it Botox?
Old 12-15-2023, 02:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyMI View Post
whoa. they are same age? Melissa aged poorly. Was it drugs? Or bad genes?

Is it Memorex, or is it Botox?
You try spending years trying to raise David Crosby’s biological kid.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-15-2023, 06:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
gonna have to disagree there. People often conflate all the songs on TISL with Sheryl. She did NOT produce the entire album, and that's part of its coherence problem. The stuff she DID work on I think gave Stevie the kick in the pants she needed.... it was more guitar-based stuff, great harmonies (both things that are key elements to what made Stevie's stuff so good from the beginning of her career). She didn't produce synth pop throwaways, she produced songs that sound more like a adult, mature woman and I for one really liked it (still do)
TISRL was first recorded with TLC's producer. Stevie loved the song Unpretty and thought it sounded like Fleetwood Mac. After a year in the studio she thought the album was too funky in nature and pretty much started the process over when he friendship started with Sheryl. Most of Sheryl's work is very toned down music. Its very vocal driven and her songs are almost jingles like Soak Up The Sun, All I wanna do is have some fun. The issue I have with TISRL is how every song almost has the same beat. The studio musicians do a fine job but if you strip the vocals there is not much there. Where's the beef? Its all forgettable, safe, sterile studio musicians. No drum cracks, no guitar solos. This is why IMHO Street Angel is a superior album to TISRL because if you strip all vocals there are incredible music tracks. Sheryl reduced Stevie's songs to her jingles. There are a few really good tracks on the album: Title track, Love Is, Bombay Sapphires. But most of it is the same beat, same feel, just different lyrics. Planets was done so safe and exactly like the demo. Nothing creative. Songs like Everyday and That Made Me Stronger are horrible. Sorcerer is leaps and bounds better on the Wild Heart cutting room floor. Stevie's solo music works best when someone brings her a musical track and she makes her lyrics that fit that track. None of that process happened here because there is not much music. As much as I like the title track, the drumming track should have changed mid song and made that song an explosive title track. While good, it could have been a killer. But we got a sterile project instead.
Old 12-15-2023, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
You try spending years trying to raise David Crosby’s biological kid.
Tried. And Failed. Rock and Roll “doing something for you” is relevant to not just the rocker but the family. Having a rock star Nut for a father and two Moms, one of which a rock star, made him insane and turned to drugs and OD’ed. Stevie never brought her children to term. They would have been so messed up. Imagine having brothers and sisters by so many rock stars and living a privileged life under a selfish mother. They would have ended up the same way. Rock and Roll may have done “everything” for Stevie and rockers but tell that to their messed up kids. Maybe being a bad mother early rather than later saved them the pain of growing up into losers and deadbeat drug abusers. Sad to think about it that way. I think that is why she is so messed up on the head though now. There is a connection between abortion and deteriorating mental health that is just now starting to be understood. That pain of taking a life messes people up. And for what! rock and roll!?

Lindsey’s and Micks kids seem to be well adjusted and out of headlines thankfully.