User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-02-2020, 11:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Just Crazy Love vs. You Make Loving Fun

Ever notice these songs are telling someone that he’s “the only one?”

We know that YMLF is about Curry Grant. There have been rumors of Christine having an affair with Martin Birch. Is “Just Crazy Love” about that affair? It certainly has a very different tone from the rest of her songs from that era.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-03-2020, 06:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

She definitely has the knack to write the best love songs. I think Dennis produced most of her work: Love in Store, Only Over You, Ask Anybody at least. Who knows if Hold Me was also inspired by him. She has a way of putting simple words together that sound so good. I swear if she did not make it in music, she could have written cards for Hallmark.

I always was puzzled at her sworn secret of the meaning of "In the meantime." That's a common phrase but it has some deep secret meaning for her that she has publicly stated she refuses to tell. Because she is so strict about that, it drives me crazy.

It would be such an honor to have YMLF written and inspired by you. But I equally would like to know who spurned her enough to write Liar and Bad Loser.....very rare songs for her attacking a former lover.
Old 10-03-2020, 10:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
But I equally would like to know who spurned her enough to write Liar and Bad Loser.....very rare songs for her attacking a former lover.
I always assumed Bad Loser was for Cliff Adams.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-03-2020, 12:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Bad Loser was about Clifford (Adams) Davis.

Liar was about some school teacher Chris dated after her breakup with Eddy. She briefly found love but then, as more than 1/2 the songs on IN THE MEANTIME reveal, that wound up being a “bad journey.” Thankfully, the album takes us through the process of anger to acceptance: “Forgiveness” and “Giving it Back” show us she’s healed and is ready to move on.

Why the “vs.” in the thread heading? You Make Loving Fun and Just Crazy Love are both great tunes in their own way. If I had to pick it would be YMLF all day, as that song is one of the high water marks of her career. But JCL is an interesting song, especially since it sounds about 8-10 years ahead of its time. It reminds me of those early guitar-driven pop tunes of the early 80s that made acts like Rick Springfield, The Romantics, and Scandal popular. Weston’s guitar work is partially responsible. But Christine tapped into something different and fashion-forward with that tune. It would have fit perfectly alongside the best songs from her 1984 record.
Old 10-03-2020, 03:07 PM

Even when everybody tells me
I'm just being a fool
Something inside says I've got to have you
And I can't play by the rules

The last line. Maybe it was about Martin.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I adore both of these songs, but have a special fondness for "Just Crazy Love." Chris does too, since it was one of two Bob Welch era songs she performed during her solo tour in 1984, along with "Spare Me a Little."

I honestly don't care who a song is about, or who inspired a song. I think the feelings that Chris expresses in her songs are universal.

As for the meaning of 'In the Meantime,' when I first heard the title, one thought popped into my head instantly. "I'm planning on rejoining the Mac one of these days, but in the meantime I'll do a solo record."

I immediately dismissed the thought, but what do you know, it turned out to be prophetic.